What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best LEDs just got better - BML transforms into Fluence

Ledsicon

Yeah ok guru you got me.no i didnt even have a look at growmau5 as i have been following him so long i know what he has chosen,alot of Nice good options, ex canopy 10 light or the cxb or cxa bars he used before them or the chilled he has taken a liking too watercooled not produced by himself With another Spectrum and diode approach chilled uses.as for religon i only belive in a mix of many religons and normally dont participate in religious political or Musictaste discussions..
i have been following supra spl,realstyles,alesh,growmau5,greengenes and just about every approach the past years available in diy or mass Production.,grown 15 years where last 7 With 11 different ledgrowlight,hyped up,cheap,expensive,rebranded,so called bridgelux diodes in nm they dont even produce at bridgelux,looked at and seem to be valid testing i could find, as for grownau5 he has been doing it for some time now but are far from one of the pioneers and ledgurus out there in my or other brands or diy`ers eyes as he has done most of his work based on others ideas from the start and just trying to see if he finds better approaches.nothing wrong in that at all either if it Works. in other Words, i respect growmau5 alot but he wants to test amare and knows they did what he does now because Victor as many others was tired of wanting to belive in led Technology and beeing promised Things far from what the brands was capable of delivering as most brands still do.wasting Money and loosing trust in approach With leds brands and saw the gap in after a while where he could buy better more expensive diodes than most others choose atm and choosing to get alot less profit and gain loyal satisfied customers that value transparancy,his knowledge and honesty.so amare and Victor started years before him (growmau5),they aqquired 3 patents of cob +monoledspec and as for piggyback Connection i dont take that as a patent as serious as the other approaches patented in all us europe and asia.(been tried copied by chinease ``known`` brand not knowing about asia patent too) first to mix cob and monochromes, first to implement uvb in led growlight after ed Rosenthals studies was confirmed or something(not saying dr ed Rosenthal did it alone or was the man that found proof but only remember his name cause of the big book of buds series.
actually growmau5 latest approach (the giveaway light) has allmost copied the amaretech se 450 look/design cob uvb mono selection it seems by the design.
seems People hate on Victor for beeing earlier and more visionary or just ``luckier`` With approach than others lately.
i remember 2-3 years ago growers and brands making fun of his sun spec approach because of nasa red blue old Tech data, only to one after the other brand implement more and more high par pr watt whites.

i dont actually use amare but would like too, cause i know their amoung the very best options out there when warranty, par pr watt, dollar pr watt, par pr dollar, and good Spectums are looked at.

and no i have not grown myself With cmh or plasma out of Your listed options..

but i get Your point of -read dont feel, im very emotional driven on matters i live for and get easily carried away if i sense unfair treatment in many different situations of life and i dont get how you by using read dont feel approach on Amare quality and how it performs in another growers hands without knowing what previous setups yielded for him or ended up like qualitywise, so how do we put that into the Equation.
i dont want to be a dickhead and go back and forth so ill say it like i sensed you bashing on amare without trying or seeing its performance based on a growers pic/pics here.if he was a very unsecure type of person actually beliving and taking the constructive criticism to heart after hearing Peoples that does not own or have tried the light telling him it looks as if he could have done better but its not that Your a bad grower, from 1 look it must be amare---leading to aquiering New light from a competitor of some kind or another Spectrum whatsoever,possibly worse quality bins and Components and warranty and so on. see it from my view when put out that way, i can tell you by first hand knowledge there are persons on forums from various brands trying to plant as much doubt and insecurity as they can, to gain profit themselves or just affect a competitor like a real sosiopath move...post negative results and welcome People to jump on a doubt amare-train,budmaster-train or any topbin brand with loyal followers with route for sucsess.boicott and so on and other brands too. economical hitmen affecting Companies are in all industries and is often evident against the best or leading in their Field. no i cant proove it :)
but as said i respect growmau5,have learned alot from his channel too actually, and the fact you pointed out you dont Lock on to only cob or growmau5 does not says alot itself as you first came off like we had to look at all directions options and progress and not dwell or something like that and further Down it seems he def is the man With the golden plan or the one With most of Your trust when others started before him doing what he does now. to be honest i would love to test and use both amare and growmau5 lights and im quite sure i would be happy as f With both compared to alot of lights ive owned previously.
Peace

420empire

Veteran
I hear you, and can agree to lot of the things your are saying. But i look at what I see here and I like the way amare approch lightning. The COB, IR, UVB etc. is really nice, but have hope for more yield on those plants. What I mean is that it seems really expensive for just one light module ( Here I think of the solar eclipse). When compared to a Dutch brand, then i have seen bigger yield on just one of those burple 63 watt lights.. when compared to the amare, which to me seems weird. I have to point i have never seen a amare live in action, unfortunetly, would be nice. So it also means me observation regarding this subject is only based on gathered info from the web, this I know is a "problem" but i´am not rich..
Yes Growmau5 did "copy" some stuff, but we all copy stuff all the time, is basic evolution I guess, some call it inspiration. :) I dig that.
Yess Gurus everywhere and they can be dangerous for óne self and others, no doubt.
I hope that there will be some more light test in the furture, cause these days LED evole so fast, and the understanding of light and it´s effect on the plant biochemistry etc. a lot of great adventures lay ahead of us all.
I respect you view, though I do not agree on everything, so let´s see if Petflora have some nice updates for us soon.

Let the peacepipe go around

Peace.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I hear you, and can agree to lot of the things your are saying. But i look at what I see here and I like the way amare approch lightning. The COB, IR, UVB etc. is really nice, but have hope for more yield on those plants. What I mean is that it seems really expensive for just one light module ( Here I think of the solar eclipse). When compared to a Dutch brand, then i have seen bigger yield on just one of those burple 63 watt lights.. when compared to the amare, which to me seems weird. I have to point i have never seen a amare live in action, unfortunetly, would be nice. So it also means me observation regarding this subject is only based on gathered info from the web, this I know is a "problem" but i´am not rich..
Yes Growmau5 did "copy" some stuff, but we all copy stuff all the time, is basic evolution I guess, some call it inspiration. :) I dig that.
Yess Gurus everywhere and they can be dangerous for óne self and others, no doubt.
I hope that there will be some more light test in the furture, cause these days LED evole so fast, and the understanding of light and it´s effect on the plant biochemistry etc. a lot of great adventures lay ahead of us all.
I respect you view, though I do not agree on everything, so let´s see if Petflora have some nice updates for us soon.

Let the peacepipe go around

Peace.

First understand that I am not a commercial grower, meaning I am not pushing for max yield. The few friends are more than happy to pay $15/gm for the QUALITY, not the quantity.

So, assuming I only gt 0.5g/w under 250 or 300w that's 125-150 dry trimmed gms= $1800- 2250, minus what little I keep for personal use and bartering PLUS the high quality larf which I make some crazy butter out of

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
First understand that I am not a commercial grower, meaning I am not pushing for max yield. The few friends are more than happy to pay $15/gm for the QUALITY, not the quantity.

So, assuming I only gt 0.5g/w under 250 or 300w that's 125-150 dry trimmed gms= $1800- 2250, minus what little I keep for personal use and bartering PLUS the high quality larf which I make some crazy butter out of

Dang, I should get with the program.
I consider myself a commercial grower and my quality is determined by users as in the top ten percent of what is available locally.

I charge $7 per gram, I raised it to ten once when times were bad and felt guilty the whole time it was up there. Buy a gram, buy a quarter pound, the price remains the same.
Never claimed to be overly smart, I am autistic and took the Hippie manifesto to heart back in the sixties when I was developing. I am really uncomfortable making a profit off others.

My naivete used to cause problems but Now that I am older I ignore the naysayers and am relaxed and calm as I wind on down.
I guess I could have acquired more toys, but I am sure my imagination would have been stifled with too many riches.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dang, I should get with the program.
I consider myself a commercial grower and my quality is determined by users as in the top ten percent of what is available locally.

I charge $7 per gram, I raised it to ten once when times were bad and felt guilty the whole time it was up there. Buy a gram, buy a quarter pound, the price remains the same.
Never claimed to be overly smart, I am autistic and took the Hippie manifesto to heart back in the sixties when I was developing. I am really uncomfortable making a profit off others.

My naivete used to cause problems but Now that I am older I ignore the naysayers and am relaxed and calm as I wind on down.
I guess I could have acquired more toys, but I am sure my imagination would have been stifled with too many riches.

Following you for years, they've been getting a super bargain. When someone buys a quarter (or multiples), I give an extra gm/= ~$12.50/gm

whatAriot

I just did my 3rd harvest with the SpyderXL plus.
I had 1/4 of my room switched over to LED. I'm about to replace all my HPS for these expensive ass lights.
In MY room, with MY setup, these SpyderXL plus are the shit.

Cons is limited plant size
Pros is zero heat and minimal canopy clearance requirements.

Dislexus

the shit spoon
Veteran
I don't trust the Spyder, BML, Fluence, etc whatever brands simply because there are so many accounts with less than ten posts promoting them, some of which seem to type the same peculiar style. Shitty guerilla marketing tactics.

Bribe longtime members with extensive post histories like everybody else, ya cheapskates. What I'm saying is send me some free lights bitches and I will whore for you.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't trust the Spyder, BML, Fluence, etc whatever brands simply because there are so many accounts with less than ten posts promoting them, some of which seem to type the same peculiar style. Shitty guerilla marketing tactics.

Bribe longtime members with extensive post histories like everybody else, ya cheapskates. What I'm saying is send me some free lights bitches and I will whore for you.

What credentials do you have to make such absurd claims/comments?

Unless you have FIRST HAND experience, you have no business sticking your nose into a thread from which you have zero knowledge

Dislexus

the shit spoon
Veteran
What credentials do you have to make such absurd claims/comments?

Unless you have FIRST HAND experience, you have no business sticking your nose into a thread from which you have zero knowledge

Very defensive of you PetFlora -- Why? That's peculiarly strong reaction.

What exactly was absurd, besides my intentionally absurd joke? Didn't Phaeton call out the thread creator as a paid shill in the second post of this thread? Didn't you yourself question the thread creator's statement as well? Check the first page for recollection. On top of it there have been barely-used and even new accounts shilling in this thread. If a brand is using such sleezy and clumsily transparent guerilla marketing tactics, I simply don't trust them and won't buy their shit.

Was it my "Bribe longtime members with extensive post histories like everybody else" joke statement that made you react defensively? It wasn't directed at you, very strange that you would feel that it was PF.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Very defensive of you PetFlora -- Why? That's peculiarly strong reaction.

What exactly was absurd, besides my intentionally absurd joke? Didn't Phaeton call out the thread creator as a paid shill in the second post of this thread? Didn't you yourself question the thread creator's statement as well? Check the first page for recollection. On top of it there have been barely-used and even new accounts shilling in this thread. If a brand is using such sleezy and clumsily transparent guerilla marketing tactics, I simply don't trust them and won't buy their shit.

Was it my "Bribe longtime members with extensive post histories like everybody else" joke statement that made you react defensively? It wasn't directed at you, very strange that you would feel that it was PF.

I stand by my previous reply

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
The largest organic herb producer in the USA switched over to Fluence LED lights for a reason. If you want proof go look at the pictures and interviews on the website.

-Funk

clown baby

Not sure if its already been mentioned, but if you want to see fluence lights in action, look up @teamterpene on instagram. They use fluence bioengineering leds and are killing it. Didn't believe they were using LEDs at first. it's pretty impressive.

Muleskinner

Veteran
The largest organic herb producer in the USA switched over to Fluence LED lights for a reason. If you want proof go look at the pictures and interviews on the website.

-Funk

or just look at the PAR specs and spectral diagrams on the Fluence website. I'll summarize for you: 2.3 umol/J. The various cheesy cannabis-industry lamps don't even provide specs for their lights.

Last edited:

pinkus

Veteran
Just sticking my head in. I have been running some Illimitex units for about 4-5 years now and I am quite happy with the results. I don't really like that they are panels and am hoping to move over to "single point source" lighting, like the Starlite Helios units. I may go the DIY route, but i'm an old dude. LOL

chomsky

or just look at the PAR specs and spectral diagrams on the Fluence website. I'll summarize for you: 2.2 umol/J. The various cheesy cannabis-industry lamps don't even provide specs for their lights.

I'm still loving mine. The yield and quality are every bit as good even better than HID. I'm on my 5th round with the SpydrX plus and they have lost zero strength. These are better than HID IN EVERY WAY IN MY OPINION.

Muleskinner

Veteran
I'm still loving mine. The yield and quality are every bit as good even better than HID. I'm on my 5th round with the SpydrX plus and they have lost zero strength. These are better than HID IN EVERY WAY IN MY OPINION.

better in every way except price of course! But you get what you pay for.

Ledsicon

or just look at the PAR specs and spectral diagrams on the Fluence website. I'll summarize for you: 2.2 umol/J. The various cheesy cannabis-industry lamps don't even provide specs for their lights.

I like and would love owning a bml/fluence or whatever their called but 2, 2micrompules/joule is techsheet and not many are over 2 but i can name several better ppfd pr dollar ppfd/w and actually im mo longer setteling with lights under 2 at least from now on.

Idk if the brands are relevant or allowed to name here for various reasons..?

But it is lights at 2, 4-2, 6 now though not alot of them..

I thought you where amaretech loyal @petflora, u use bml or fluence neosol or those fixtures now? ?
I didnt think you would ever stop using victors products.

I remember everyone jealous of amaretech bashing on you while regarding white light tech lol
Now all serious brands admit he was right or atleast makes similar fixtures..

Peace fellow growers

:tiphat:

Ledsicon

missinformation or just personal meaning

missinformation or just personal meaning

First off, I have a bias against 'white' LEDs. The phosphors are the same as in fluorescent bulbs but LEDs use blue to fluoresce the phosphors and mercury fluorescents use UV to fluoresce the phosphors.
The phosphors for deeps red do not fluoresce with blue, causing the 'white' LED put out very little red past 611 nm.
If a red supplement is needed anyway then why not start fresh and use what functions for the plant instead of what pleases the human eye.
That said..

I have not found any LED that does everything I would like.

Black Dog has excellent spectrum and will out grow an equivalent CMH by a slight margin. I used 400 watts versus 400 watts. The Black Dog would do better if it did not scatter so much light.
But still, it will out grow CMH and has no bulbs to change.
If you are current running stand alone HPS you will notice a week to ten day earlier harvest with the spectrum put out by Black Dog.

Second choice is Advanced Diamond XTE series. Advanced makes several series of lights, the XTE has the good spectrum and intensity.
The light is focused and the footprint is less than the Black Dog. The smaller footprint means a smaller plant. Even so, using two XTE's against two CMH's was almost an even match with 670 watts making better cola's but 800 watts making more total weight.

Platinum has too much red with both switches on and almost enough red with just the veg switch. Good in veg mode but leaving half the power unused.

Hydrogrow has major warranty problems and units that need warranty due to poor quality control. Otherwise they would be up there with Black Dog. The diode failure rate ran 15% per year on the two years I kept records. Ouch.

ILS, Intelligent Light Source, is good for clones. It is more than good, it is stupendous for clones with four programmed spectrums plus custom, and four intensity levels. Far Red has it's own level control, as do red and blue. It will take any strain and make it do it's best up to 12" tall. I have two of the 300 watt (4') and six of the 150 watt (2').
These are perfect T5 replacements and I also use them for side lighting. Not for budding though.

Inexpensive panels and screw in bulb arrays I tried did not work, but there are hundreds of cheapies and I only tried three.

I also only tried those five brands of large lights. Most brands were eliminated by their own advertising, lies took them off the list. Some told a very narrow portion of truth and counted on lack of biology education to deceive buyers.

A lot of LED units will still grow marijuana, only not as well. I use HPS as my example. HPS has no blue nor does it have deep reds, but it has been a mainstay source of light ever since the days of Mercury Vapor lamps. Different techniques for different lights.

When I help set up gardens in my area I always enthusiastically go with whatever light is chosen, the difference is small and peace of mind is large.

In my own garden I am quite opinionated and any advice reflects my personal foibles.

The thumbnail is a pair of Black Dogs, a pair of CMHs, an LED sidelight, A hanging Far Red bulb, and the back of a T5, which has the UVB.
I am not happy with any single light, it takes a combo to replace the sun.

I disagree bigtime about blackdog either bd-u 450 or phytomax or phytomax 2... overpriced no clue about their own bins used and ridiculous false claims but so does advanced , platinum, kind, clw and more "good" brands..

But thats just my opinion after loosings thousands too snakeoil brands. Oh and prooved too.
Im not gonna advert but please do new research fellow growers around the world before buying those brands!!

I can name 3 brands from the top of my head beating all mentioned above in avg ppfd or par/w micromoules/joule and with lower prices

My bad but.....

My bad but.....

Tits and salutations. I got an led that’s not up to par and was gonna replace the cobs that r currently on it.......any suggestions???

Latest posts

Latest posts