What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The NEW E-Papillon 1000W Thread

theoneandonly Z

DGS - i do not know how to private message on this forum. I have a couple of questions regarding light placement and what not. can you shoot me a pm or is there another way of contacting you?
thanks
Z

I'm very interested in these. I'm not ready to make the switch, but I'll be watching this thread over the next 6 months. I'm excited to see what people can do with these.

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi DGS - thanks for answering all my many questions. Can you describe the market for or rather the targeted case use for the dpap over the epap? I'm still struggling to understand when to use a dpap and when is the epap the proper fixture... Can u explain for us?

familysoldier

Hey dgs I had a question for you, I bought 6 of your new 1k ballast and my question for you was do you guy test fire the bulbs before they go out? 5 of them had bulbs that had been fired before and one of them had a fresh never fired bulb. I really hope your distributor in northern California are selling new equipment and not used under the assumption it's new.

pHive.8

Vendor
Hey dgs I had a question for you, I bought 6 of your new 1k ballast and my question for you was do you guy test fire the bulbs before they go out? 5 of them had bulbs that had been fired before and one of them had a fresh never fired bulb. I really hope your distributor in northern California are selling new equipment and not used under the assumption it's new.

All ePapillon fixtures are tested for a short time in the factory to see whether they function correct.
Because the lamps have only been lit for a short time (about 1 minute) the minerals in the bulbs haven't been mixed properly. This can cause a black deposit on the ends of the arc tube.
After 15 minutes of use of the lamp the minerals will mixed properly and the deposit will be disappeared.

RandyCalifornia

Well endowed member
Veteran
I don't need no side by side, I need some lamps!
Have they gone down to their suggested retail price yet or are they still gouging early adopters and charging 650.00 each?
Where can you get these lamps at a decent price?

RB26

Vendor
Veteran
I don't need no side by side, I need some lamps!
Have they gone down to their suggested retail price yet or are they still gouging early adopters and charging 650.00 each?
Where can you get these lamps at a decent price?

Retail on Gavita's is $499.99 and E-P's are $599.99. That can hardly be considered "gouging" when a high end 1000W ballast costs $200-$250, bulb $75-$100, and reflector $100-$200. Why would they lower the price anytime soon? They are right on the brink of destroying all digital ballast sales. My local store has been stocking E-P's for 2 weeks and has seen a huge bite out of digital ballast sales already.

ehydroponics is probably your best bet. Good price, free shipping (sometimes), and they will beat any other advertised price.

HUGE

Veteran
So if I swap sealed 4hps and 1 mh for 4 epap1000 over a 10x10 should I expect more yeild less heat or sme yeild same heat?

RB26

Vendor
Veteran
So if I swap sealed 4hps and 1 mh for 4 epap1000 over a 10x10 should I expect more yeild less heat or sme yeild same heat?

Are your lights currently air cooled? If not, yeah there will probably be a drop in heat due to eliminating one lamp. Yield will certainly be great with 4 E-P's in a 100 SQFT. Just make sure you have the ceiling clearance, you want the E-P's 2-3 feet from the top of your canopy.

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi DGS - thanks for answering all my questions. I have figured out how to get more room height by excavating my room that I'm remodeling. So I ordered an EPap from DGS in Cali and i'm pretty sure I can get close to a 10' ceiling and rock 1150 watts. Hopefully will the fixture it up and running by New Years. Will be getting a DPap from the next shipment also for veggies.

pHive.8

Vendor
Hi DGS - thanks for answering all my questions. I have figured out how to get more room height by excavating my room that I'm remodeling. So I ordered an EPap from DGS in Cali and i'm pretty sure I can get close to a 10' ceiling and rock 1150 watts. Hopefully will the fixture it up and running by New Years. Will be getting a DPap from the next shipment also for veggies.

Very cool!!! Keep us updated!

Snype

Veteran
Im glad to find this thread. I know you are supposed to light a room but how far apart from each bulb should I space them to maximize yield?

Would you say running them at the 750 watt setting would be comparable to a Lumatek running at the 1,000 setting?

How high from the canopy do I have to be when using the 750 watt setting?

How many actual watts are being used at the 750 watt and 1000 watt setting?

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
snype I have an epap but not qualified yet to be honest. Search on Gavita and Epap on icmag and you should find the answer.

Ill use one fixture blooming from 600 to 1150w depending on my plants needs. I have over sized my closet to 5x6 or 5.5x6 so that is all I can tell ya. My ceiling will be 10' minimum.... I do not need to be an expert when there are people like DGS and Whazzup helping share the knowledge. I do not have a problem letting experts tell me wtf to do. Loys of people have to pay fpr expert advice.

Snow Crash

Veteran
I can find websites that sell unit, but can't find replacement reflectors. How much does a replacement reflector cost?

The Gavita replacement is going for about $99.95, so I'd expect the epap to be a few bucks over that. Somewhere between $119.95 to $139.95 when they are available.

Of all the things on these DE systems replacing the reflectors is actually kind of a big deal. The oxidation process will cause pitting and reduce the efficiency dramatically even after just 1 year of use. It's a little bit of a "hidden" cost. But, if you clean them regularly that will help extend their life as much as possible.

The Gavita replacement is going for about $99.95, so I'd expect the epap to be a few bucks over that. Somewhere between $119.95 to $139.95 when they are available.

Of all the things on these DE systems replacing the reflectors is actually kind of a big deal. The oxidation process will cause pitting and reduce the efficiency dramatically even after just 1 year of use. It's a little bit of a "hidden" cost. But, if you clean them regularly that will help extend their life as much as possible.

http://monstergardens.com/gavita/Gavita-HortiStar-1000DE-Reflector-Replacement-Aluminum

^is that not the replacement reflector for the ballast? I see one for $120 but that looks like its for the remote mounted ballast. In their video of the demo they even say 'about $40.'

I still can't find a source for the ePap replacement reflectors. The reason I ask is because the difference in the ballast is $100, not really sure which one is has better internals since they are essentially the same thing made, just one is phillips and one is Gavita. Besides the reflector design, assuming it actually provides any benefits over the De, would be the the degradation rate. ePaps claims 1% annually while Gavita says reflectors in general deteriorate at about 5-7% annually. That'd be nice to get 5+ years our of a reflector before replacing it and still get optimal performance.

pHive.8

Vendor
http://monstergardens.com/gavita/Gavita-HortiStar-1000DE-Reflector-Replacement-Aluminum

^is that not the replacement reflector for the ballast? I see one for $120 but that looks like its for the remote mounted ballast. In their video of the demo they even say 'about $40.'

I still can't find a source for the ePap replacement reflectors. The reason I ask is because the difference in the ballast is $100, not really sure which one is has better internals since they are essentially the same thing made, just one is phillips and one is Gavita. Besides the reflector design, assuming it actually provides any benefits over the De, would be the the degradation rate. ePaps claims 1% annually while Gavita says reflectors in general deteriorate at about 5-7% annually. That'd be nice to get 5+ years our of a reflector before replacing it and still get optimal performance.

The ePapillon 1000W replacement reflectors will retail for about $ 37,50 a piece. They will be available at the beginning of 2014.

The ePapillon 1000W replacement reflectors will retail for about $ 37,50 a piece. They will be available at the beginning of 2014.

Oooo! Think you sold me on ePaps. Even if they Gavita penetrates deeper than the ePaps I'll just move the light a little closer to make up the difference. The wider angle would be nice since I'm aiming to have 2 1000s per ~5'x10' area lighting 12 plants. Will get a nicer overlap. Reflector same price, claims to degrade substantially slower. Yeah, if that is pretty much it I'm sold lol.