What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anybody experiment with stress training/burying plants?

K

Krshna

I remember on another forum a long time ago somebody was (outdoors) doing stuff like digging trenches and transplanting plants in sideways (like people do with shrubs to propagate kinda), bending the plant into a U (like the st. louis arch) and burying the top to get a new set of roots, and stripping and burying the plant deep like I do with tomatos sometimes....

I think it would be cool to bury a plant kinda sideways so that all the secondary branches looked like they were individual plants. Ive done experiments on tomato plants by staking down a lower branch to the soil with a metal U, covering that part in soil, and it grew roots out of that part. Then the branch kinda took off on its own, like it appreciated the secondary root system it had goin on.
Am I wrong to think roots can grow out of the plant anywhere? I mean when roots grow from a clone thats just a piece of stem....
Just wondering if anyone has experimented with any techniques like this? :ying:

K

Krshna

cool question and reminds me of the same stuff i read and tried years ago!
if you got the spot with the right conditions you can grow the stem of your plant lateral to the soil and bury it again and again every couple of feet. where you plan to bury just cut a slice in the bottom of the stem add a little rooting gel and stake all branches vertical. it gives you multiple root sites to feed which in turn helps the vigor and yeild of a single plant.
i grew one in a cornfield once and ended up with a whole bunch of bat sized colas 4' tall and about 6" apart and the whole plant was almost 8' long!
it also had roots where it touched the ground for some time and wasn't buried!
it was a lot of work for maybe 7z's more when it would of been easier just to put another plant next to it and done nothing else to gain the same amount more!:plant grow:
so i never put the time in again on the idea!

but it was a cool plant and would be cool to do in a residential garden to get a larger yeild from one plant and not your typical height and look so it might be easy to conceal and not be that easy to spot!

peace

T.C. :pimp3:

That's awesome, that was exactly what I was thinking, glad to see that it worked for you. I think Im gonna try it to one of my indoor plants for the hell of it... was thinking of using a potato peeler and just stripping off a light strip of the bottom stems and throwing some rooting powder on it.

would be a funny way to do a sog and give a big fuck you to the cops if you could ever prove it was all one plant lol :dance013:

if anybodys got any other strange things they have tried to their plants please share and/or pics!:ying:

CANNABEST

I remember reading that thread a long time ago as well. I was trying to search for it but no luck. Anyone remember what this menthod is called or can source the link?

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I grew a sativa once and trenched it..kept burying new sections as it grew and it kept a low profile and went all along my back fence...worked well no issues....yeehaw

MicroRoy

It is making clones in a different way.You can cut the main branch after they root.

You could do it indoors from pot to pot.It might be just the thing for those Cultivars that are slower to strike clones.