What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco DTW can’t get it to work :-(

Hi if someone can offer any helpful suggestions before I give up I’d really appreciate it.

Veg seems to go really well then in flower I get terrible leafy buds and a really bad yield running DTW def N toxicity claw etc

This is using 9x 8L fabric pots and 2.4kw
1st run was with Shogun nutes at about 2/2.5ml per litre EC 1.2-1.6. Running 3 feeds per day and lots of run off. I think that the plants weren’t using much of the nutrient before the next feed so there was too much run off??

The next run was using GHE nutes in a 6/9 ratio with Epsom. This was 2 rooms one room did ok the other terrible.

I have a friend running the same strain but in big pots with wet dry cycles and feeds them higher without any problems. This make me think some part of the DTW small ish pots is related to the problems.

What things could cause a N tox in DTW?

Thanks

Hi if someone can offer any helpful suggestions before I give up I’d really appreciate it.

Veg seems to go really well then in flower I get terrible leafy buds and a really bad yield running DTW def N toxicity claw etc

This is using 9x 8L fabric pots and 2.4kw
1st run was with Shogun nutes at about 2/2.5ml per litre EC 1.2-1.6. Running 3 feeds per day and lots of run off. I think that the plants weren’t using much of the nutrient before the next feed so there was too much run off??

The next run was using GHE nutes in a 6/9 ratio with Epsom. This was 2 rooms one room did ok the other terrible.

I have a friend running the same strain but in big pots with wet dry cycles and feeds them higher without any problems. This make me think some part of the DTW small ish pots is related to the problems.

What things could cause a N tox in DTW?

Thanks

Hey bro. Sorry to hear about the problems you’re having. I’m sure there’s plenty of people who could help you better than I but seeing as you’ve not had much joy I thought I’d try help with my limited knowledge.

First thing i would ask is are you sure you’re right about the problem? Is it definitely too much N? If you post some pics there’s a lot of guys on here that know their stuff they might be able to help you.

It’s hard to compare with your friend considering all the different elements involved. There are so many factors which could differentiate your grow from your friends not just the fact your using dtw. Temps, humidity, air exchange... you said one room did ok and the other was more or less trash, think about the differences between the two rooms... did one room have better air flow? Was the environment more consistent? I know you said your pushing 2.4kw but your bulb placement could be better maybe? HIDs lose a lot of lumens over short spaces I’m sure you know...

I wouldn’t recommend the comparison between two different grows because like I said there’s too many factors to consider. I would just go back to basic growing 101. Make sure you have good air flow and ventilation, temps and humidity are good and when your feeding start feeding light. I run an EC of 1.2 in coco a lot of the way through. Just read the plants they’ll let you know if they want more.

From what I know you can’t get too much run off in coco so to speak, you would just be wasting expensive nutes. Make sure your plant has a good root system before feeding multiple times a day. From what I know coco Is a great medium in terms of its capabilities of holding water/nutes and being rich in oxygen because of it’s fibrous nature. The idea is to let the plant suck up some of the feed before you flood it again. When you first flood coco the balance of water to oxygen sways more to the water side so for the first few minutes the roots Are a little drowned. Coco balances itself out by draining itself of excess water and holding a GOOD equilibrium of water to oxygen. This Is a good environment for roots but as they take some of the feed and the coco becomes a little drier it would allow the roots more oxygen. I imagine as the roots drink the feed there is a point where the balance of water to oxygen is PERFECT. A while after the coco becomes too dry. In My experience, the key is to ensure the coco is NEVER too dry, but ensure the coco isn’t constantly soaked as I personally believe the roots will receive less oxy this way. This is why people feeding multiple times use smaller pot sizes than someone feeding once daily.

Oh and the only other bit of advise I would
Give for now is try not to worry tooo much about nutes. I’m not one for advising on nutrients - way too much drama. But I use the genesis formula for coco. It’s a simple 2 part nutrient. A and b. I don’t use nothing else except some PK during flower for a few weeks. I don’t know if your using loads of additives but keep it simple. A and b and a bit of pk for now I would advise. As you learn more about what the different minerals are for and the balances needed maybe use some additives then. But I’d definitely keep it as simple as you can for now brother.

slipdefeu

heaths's comments sound good for me ;)
especially not to feed multiple time per day before plants get a strong root system, i'm running under ec1 with a tapwater ec 0.3 included, i don't advice you to do the same but it works for me, you can't be wrong with ec 1.2, maybe you have pics from your terrible grows? :biggrin:
good luck with that, don't give up, you can do it :tiphat:

Wingnutt

Dude you are feeding them way too much. You can definitely get good results multi-feeding coco in small pots but you have to adjust your feeding. The idea is spreading out the nutes into three or so waterings. Your root base is smaller and can only “eat” so much as a time. By lowering the strength, but upping the feedings, you can get a smaller root mass to uptake more nutrients. But if you’re slamming full strength nutes at her three times a day you’re gonna have toxicity issues. Less is more with multi feeds. Alternate base nute waterings with boost waterings.
You don’t want a ton of runoff with the small pots, less coco to buffer.
I’ve had luck only getting runoff with the last watering of the day only.
Reduce your nutes and you’ll do way better, and save yourself some money.

Only just seen the replies on this one. Thanks for all the help and suggestions. Somehow I’ve messed up the original post and it’s gone in twice. I’ve had some great help on the other post as well and I’m seeing some improvement. Day 22 atm.

Things that I think have helped.

I’ve switched to Canna nutrients as it has way less N than the Shogun.

I’ve reduced the feeding a lot. I am aiming for the nutrient to be taken up quite a bit before the next feed. I took it back to once a day and now I’m at 2 feeds per day.

I’ve reduced the ec to about 1.0-1.1 including 0.4 of tap

I’m keeping the room / roots warmer during lights off and trying to not let the roots get below 18c

So far the buds look to be developing properly and the plants look very healthy.

Fingers crossed.

And thanks for all the help!!