Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Botany and Advanced Growing Science > Proper Decarboxylation of CBD

Thread Title Search
Proper Decarboxylation of CBD Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-22-2018, 03:01 PM #1
Ringodoggie

Ringodoggie is a splendid one to beholdRingodoggie is a splendid one to beholdRingodoggie is a splendid one to beholdRingodoggie is a splendid one to beholdRingodoggie is a splendid one to beholdRingodoggie is a splendid one to beholdRingodoggie is a splendid one to beholdRingodoggie is a splendid one to beholdRingodoggie is a splendid one to beholdRingodoggie is a splendid one to beholdRingodoggie is a splendid one to behold
Proper Decarboxylation of CBD

I was reading something about decarbing CBD the other day and it mentioned that, in order to convert CBDa to CBD, you need to heat it to 280F for 60 to 90 minutes.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong but at that temperature and for that duration, you are going to have converted just about all your THC to CBN.

So, if I want to make capsules that maximize the CBD and the THC, I can't.

I am either going to maximize the THC at 240F for 40 minutes and never even activate the CBD. Or, I am going to go higher and longer and activate the CBD but kill all my THC.

I would really like the effects of both in my pills but it's really more about the CBD. I have to wonder how much THC I'm going to lose.

I do have 2 more plates for my TLC kit so I could run some comparisons on 40 minutes and 90 minutes.

Any comments on this? Anyone else trying to maximize both THC and CBD in your edibles?

Thanks
Ringodoggie is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:18 PM #2
Maple_Flail

Maple_Flail is a jewel in the roughMaple_Flail is a jewel in the roughMaple_Flail is a jewel in the roughMaple_Flail is a jewel in the roughMaple_Flail is a jewel in the roughMaple_Flail is a jewel in the rough
Thc starts to evaporate at 311*f.

below that there will be minimal burn off.
Maple_Flail is offline Quote

Old 03-22-2018, 03:23 PM #3
Maple_Flail

Maple_Flail is a jewel in the roughMaple_Flail is a jewel in the roughMaple_Flail is a jewel in the roughMaple_Flail is a jewel in the roughMaple_Flail is a jewel in the roughMaple_Flail is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple_Flail View Post
Thc starts to evaporate at 311*f.

below that there will be minimal burn off.
sorry had to find a post i made a few days ago, easier to link then to type out again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple_Flail View Post
The majority of doctors I encounter regarding cannabis as medicine are very intrigued(YMMV). however this may be a fact of living in canada. They want to "catch" up with what the underground has been doing and knows before they start fitting those things into trials and clinical tests.

As new studies are starting to look at different edible "blends" of Raw and decarbed constituents mostly in the mental health field (schizophrenia treatment study with massive doses of (raw)THCA and activated CBD and vice versa)

Now looking at your decarb point and now the amount you mentioned, things are starting to click.. your are hardly even activating all the THC. and barely touching the CBD

Google," Dr Paul Hornby Decarboxylation ", Peak conversion happens just before 311*F.

And I generally go for longer than an hour (i'm making sure all the cbd gets vibrating with as little boil off as possible as it has a similar decarb point ) and I make a Pillow out of tin foil with a parchment paper base, then place that in a ceramic bake dish at the top of the oven. with that method I'm not starting my timer until the internal temp gets to 245*F (simple meat thermo with temp probe works well best 20$ i'v sent for the job) and i don't let the temperature exceed 300*F within the dish the average plateau is around 292*-296* having the vessel at the top of the oven with give the most consistent heat while using the ceramic to shield the bud from oven ramp up.

every single patient i've shared this with has started to use this temp and vague method to manage their edible and they find they are needing to use less as more is getting activated.

Cheers hope this helps
From my experience, if it goes beyond that 311*f there would be a definite noticeable reduction in effect

Old 03-22-2018, 03:51 PM #4
Ringodoggie

Ringodoggie is a splendid one to beholdRingodoggie is a splendid one to beholdRingodoggie is a splendid one to beholdRingodoggie is a splendid one to beholdRingodoggie is a splendid one to beholdRingodoggie is a splendid one to beholdRingodoggie is a splendid one to beholdRingodoggie is a splendid one to beholdRingodoggie is a splendid one to beholdRingodoggie is a splendid one to beholdRingodoggie is a splendid one to behold
It's not evaporating off the THC that I'm concerned with.

At both 240F (THC) and 280F (CBD) no (or very little) THC is going to evaporate. However, at 280F for 60 minutes, all the THC will convert to CBN in that length of time. Yes?

So, it's not about evaporating it off as much as it is converting it from THC to CBN.

And, you are suggesting even a higher temp and a longer time so I have to believe that all the THC will have been converted to CBN by then. Again, Yes?

Thanks

Old 03-22-2018, 04:20 PM #5
Maple_Flail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringodoggie View Post
It's not evaporating off the THC that I'm concerned with.

At both 240F (THC) and 280F (CBD) no (or very little) THC is going to evaporate. However, at 280F for 60 minutes, all the THC will convert to CBN in that length of time. Yes?

So, it's not about evaporating it off as much as it is converting it from THC to CBN.

And, you are suggesting even a higher temp and a longer time so I have to believe that all the THC will have been converted to CBN by then. Again, Yes?

Thanks
CBN can exist without it being a degradation product of THC, not sure we figured out how the plant does this but. I've seen tests of early week stuf where there is CBN present without any THC (its all in small amounts of THCa at that point)

Given the fact that CBN isn't quite as psychoactive as THC and more psychoactive than CBD, I would assume that the conversion and or boil off of thc to THC D8 and CBN would be the cause of the reduce efficacy of the batches i made that exceeded that 311* temperature.
would be attributed to that conversion.

I'm not sold it being a direct conversion. there may be parts at play but i don't think science has figured that out.

you could always test it, take a gram split it 4 ways take note of what temps you set and what the temps at whatever you are holding to decarb actually get too, put it into a carrier oil

take note of which one has the effect you need, that way science doesn't matter at that point, you've landed close to what your body is looking for.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:33 PM #6
Ringodoggie

Self testing is hard (almost impossible) for me. I don't feel hardly any effects from smoking pot. I smoke 5 or 6 pounds a year and my tolerance is so high, I really can't tell from smoking if pot is good or not. Sad but true. LOL

I get a little buzz from eating a gram of rosin (about 750mg of THC) but I can smoke 2 grams of rosin and not really be any different.

So, what I will do is take 5 samples and decarb them differently and run the TLC tests on the resulting samples. That should show THC, CBD and CBN percentages.

Odd that this has not been discussed much in light of all the buzz around CBD these days. My guess is that people are taking what they believe to be CBD when, in fact, it's more CBDa.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:53 PM #7
Maple_Flail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringodoggie View Post
Self testing is hard (almost impossible) for me. I don't feel hardly any effects from smoking pot. I smoke 5 or 6 pounds a year and my tolerance is so high, I really can't tell from smoking if pot is good or not. Sad but true. LOL

I get a little buzz from eating a gram of rosin (about 750mg of THC) but I can smoke 2 grams of rosin and not really be any different.

So, what I will do is take 5 samples and decarb them differently and run the TLC tests on the resulting samples. That should show THC, CBD and CBN percentages.

Odd that this has not been discussed much in light of all the buzz around CBD these days. My guess is that people are taking what they believe to be CBD when, in fact, it's more CBDa.
Lack of science and rather high cost to testing i'm sure has put a damper on that conversation. 4-5 samples is over 2K testing fees here and you need PPL.

I to some extent feel your pain, my edible tolerance is skyhigh, it wasn't until i started adding cbd that i started to actually notice. and again reintroducing raw cannabinoids it to an activated blend has again yielded results greater than simply higher dose of the same.

I would assume we are close. (maybe?) I'm very much in support of the acid forms being more potent then expected by many (not in psycho activity but in efficacy)

I do intend to get proper testing done with its a medically reasonable price here, also to know more tests on people need to be created. for example i don't think i've found anywhere any gleam of how much Delta11 THC is in your body after your liver finished converting what isn't absorbed, whats that enzymatic rate.. what other enzymatic conversions are going on in our body filters?

Old 03-22-2018, 06:42 PM #8
brown_thumb

brown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant future
If we're restricted to 'educated guesses', I'd probably decarb some weed to what is 'probably' appropriated for optimal THC conversion, and the remaining material for what is 'probably' best for complete CBD conversion, then mix the two.
brown_thumb is offline Quote

Old 03-22-2018, 10:06 PM #9
Ringodoggie

Actually, I make all my edibles from rosin so all this will have to be translated to rosin from flowers but for now, here's what I'll do.

Decarb the same pot from the same cola at:

240F for 40 minutes (my standard for decarbing flowers for THC)

240F for 90 minutes

290F for 40 minutes

290F for 90 minutes

I can run 4 tests per plate so I can run all 4 of these on one plate. I have 2 plates left so I'll either do the same thing twice to confirm or change the parameters for the next test.

I can also run some tests via the Duquenois/Beam tests although those don't differentiate between CBD/CBG/CBN like the TLC will. But, it might show a degradation of THC as time and temp rise.

Hard to believe no one has done this yet.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:58 PM #10
Ringodoggie

I decarb'd some samples last night and I am running the Duquenois and Beam tests tonight. I'll post the results later if I get time.

I went with 5 samples. 240F for 40 and 90 minutes and 290F for 40, 90 and 120 minutes.

I am fully expecting the 120 minute sample to be void (or nearly so) of THC. Kind of hoping so. LOL

1 members found this post helpful.