What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

bud mold blues

G

So, I am out checking my Mazars that are about 1 week away from the chopping block and I notice on one of the dense thick big buds(36g wet) a little white hair coming out of one of the clusters. Shit

I pulled one of the clusters right out of the center of the bud and I'll be god damned if it didn't have a mold convention going on. I meen like month old bread but white. It looked unsalvagable to me so chop, chop, trash. I tossed it in the bubblehash pile for a latter use.

I checcked the second one and it had the first signs of mold so I chopped it too. I am going to try and salvage this one. Only ever so slight sign of mold. So, I chopped and hung it up. We'll see what happens.

Any suggestions on a cause and cure would be great.

A lesson here, bigger fat dense buds need a lot of air circulation. I thought I had enough but I was wrong. It only effected the two killer buds on one plant, lucky me, still lost an once and could be another one if my salvage bud turns on me.

All my other plants look great with no signs of mold at all. So, hopefully it was a one time deal but I will be more aware of the problem.

If you are growing big Mazars watch out for mold in the late stages of flower. One week out, what luck. I went on vacation for 5 days so it was able to get a foot hold before I got back. So it can take over in a week. Watch your plants closely because it sucks with they take a dive.

Anyways, I've got one right behind it that is looking great(chop chop in 6 or 7 days) and 5 clones that are just 15 days into flower and also looking great

Texas Kid

ken

i just lost 5 out of 7 oz :(

every bud over about 3g (dry) was affected, leaving me with just lil crappy fluffy bottom buds :(

any infected buds, chop em off, move em away from your plants (far away), quickly, then hope it doesnt spread.

fingers crossed for you.

Last edited:
G

Thanks for the link Baz,

It sounds a lot like the same shit. I think I packed em in there to tight trying to maximize space.

Hepa filters on my air intake may be the fix or at least a start and maybe some circulating fans also

Ken- that's tough 5 out of 7 oz's... ouch. at least I think I will still end up with 3.5 oz's dried or so off the one good plant and the butchered one. Anyways I hope that's the case.

Thanks TokeA - I needed some consoling and it just breaks my heart that one of my babies got sick.

Thanks

Texas Kid

mold sucks

mold sucks

I also recently had a problem with one plant near harvest time. The buds on this one seemed to grow flat up against the main stem and eventually they all grew together making one large mass down below the top cola. If I get another one like that I will try to train the buds out away from the stem and encourage air circulation.
I used a baking soda and water spray to control powdery mildew on another plant and it seemed to work pretty well. Not sure about the taste yet though.
Always best to err on the safe side so you don't smoke any mold.

MM

G

Med Man

Exactly what happened to mine. like six or seven bud clusters on the same cola joined up into one big mass of bud but, no circulation through the middles. Trapped moisture and I've got good fans and exhaust it just got me this time.

I'll will be watching this time alot closer.

I went vacation for a week over in Hana and it took hold in that seven days.

I was also in Nahiku with some guys that have (so they say)a virtually mold resistant strain that was out of this world. But because of the rainfall there mold is always a problem so, they seem to have figured it out for over there. Anyways I got 8 or so seeds from them. If I don't grow them out I may send to you and see how they do over on the Big Island possibly better than on Maui

Anyways, Thanks for the input

Texas Kid

KGB47

"It's just a flesh wound"
Veteran
Damn Tex, that situation bites but it sounds like you got it under control and saved most of it. Hope the rest of it cures up nice, good luck. :cool:

G

Thanks KGB

I think I beet down right now. I added another fan and positioned it so comes right up through the canapy. Circulation was my enemy. I got a handle on it now and I think I only lost a little over an ounce dried. That's the way it goes. Air, air, and more air

Fight the good fight

Texas Kid

G

guest123

sounds like med man is onto it , that powdery mildew is a bitch and spreads like wildfire ... once it it there , there will be spores all over the place , ... mould thrives in warm and wet conditions , so an attempt to combat the moisture and cool off the room toward the later stages of budding may help ... i know the problem well and loose many pounds to it every year , an open area is the best ive found , and soon as any sign of mould appears you need to be right on the job , pruning and combating every way you know how ...

HerbanWarrior

EVIL mold check your hummidity levels and put in a dehumidifier if it gets that bad but i believe 2 fans would do the trick also skim milk will eat the mold if you spray it on like a fine mist it eats bacteria i believe test it on a small molded bud if you do have the powder mildew it will go away

G

Thanks HW and WD

I salvaged as much as I could and tossed the rest in the hash pile. At least I didn't loose the whole plant or other plants.

TK

ken

yeah, i'll be using my mouldy buds for iceolator hash.

only safe method of consumption is bubble/iceolator hash or bho.

it spreads really easily & quickly, keep a very close eye on any other large buds, chop away any infected buds as soon as u spot em, etc.

its really evil stuff :(

good luck & keep a close watch on the rest of your crop.

Last edited: