What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

question about adding an AC vent to my closet...

Dr. Dee Snutz

i need an intake for my growroom/closet and instead of just puttin a vent straight through the wall, i would rather just branch an ac vent on my central unit to my closet...

it doesn't appear too hard... i'll actually be branching off a box that's branched off the central unit... it's triangualr in shape... one side goes to the central unit and the other two go to the 2 vents in my room... i figure i'll just run a duct off the top of it to my closet, mount a vent inside the grow room, attach it all, and i'm good...

i'm not quite to sure how the box the ducts run through is constructed though... i'm pretty familiar with 1" pressed fiberglass duct board (is what i use to damping reflections in my recording booth) and i know it not hard to cut, but i don't know if there is anything more to that box that i might mess up by cutting it in the wrong place...

i figure i could go ask the home depot people what i need, but i always like to go in there as informed as possible so they don't try to sell me shit i won't need...

all i believe i'll need is a small vent to mount in the closet.... a short length of insulated ducting, and maybe some type of special glue or tape to seal them all together...

what is y'alls professional opinions on this matter?

much luv

the Docta

U

Uncle Hughie

U thought about using some 12v computer exhaust Fans in there?

ive seen Boxes constructed ,and the peeps used 12volt pc exhaust fans, some of these come in a square casing that might just fit that trunking.....ive also seen the tubular type pc exhaust fans...fitted into drain piping to carry the ventilation some of these fans are very strong indeed ,and you can run a few ofthem off a simple 12v psu ...depending on the constant surge of ampage supplied by the psu!

or Maybe im barking completely up the wrong tree lol
Peace!

I have central AC in my grow room, and have noticed a temp decrease of about 12 degrees F. I tapped into the main duct, by cutting a hole in the wall, and then the ducting. I ran alum. flex ducting from there to the floor of my grow room, keeping the flex duct as straight as possible. I then insulated the flex with duct insulation. Initially I had the vent blowing two feet off the floor or at the plant tops, but I find the room to stays cooler for longer at two inches off the floor. This method is effective for me because I live in South Florida, and the AC stays on year round. In you situation, I would remove the box and fashion the new duct directly to the main AC ducting.

484ac_intake1-med.jpg

Forfingoz

Last edited:

Pot Nazi

a/c vent

a/c vent

I am state cert. ac contractor in my state. I would get a 6" tap collar and a roll of aluminum tape from the depot. if you dont want it to be permanent dont install a boot and ceiling grill. just cot a hole 6 5/8" in diameter in your ceiling and pull the flexible duct through the hole and let it blow free. if there is any construction going on in your area I would check the dumpsters for the flex duct. dont worry about cutting the hole in the fiberglass triangle, if you fuck it up just put the peice you cut out back in and tape it up no problem if you have any other questions pm me.

gone2seed

dee snutz:

something to think about. Tapping the ac unit will bring in cool air, that air can only come in when an equal volume of air leaves. Hooking up an active exhaust system will bring in cool air faster, replacing it, otherwise its all about how fast the exhaust can squeeze out throught the cracks in the door.

if you have a vented hood, just exhaust from there, the room should be significantly cooler afterwards.

Last edited: