What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Greehouse building material links

G

Hey DJ don't forget Home depot Orchard supply and any local hardware store.

GCG

Ganico

Veteran
What would be a good material for the roof of a shed? Something that you couldn't see through, but not opaqe enough to block too much light.

A long time ago I saw a link to a thread where someone did just that, but I can't find it now.

G

follow the link i posted and you will learn about woven poly ...

peace ... nexus

G

this material sounds great ... i will try working with it ... from the web site :

About Our Superstrong Woven Polys

Strong, durable, and resistant to heat, extreme weather and tearing, our Superstrong Woven Poly can be used for hundreds of projects in virtually any climate, even in areas with heavy wind, snow, or hail. It resists hailstones, gale-force winds, snow loading, cat and bird claws, and stones. The toughness is due to the weave, the thickness, and the UV stabilizer.

The dense weave of our poly makes it resistant to both heat and cold cracking, reducing hot weather stretching/sagging in the summer, and making it resilient down to minus 100 degrees F in wintertime. Our polys are tear-resistant thanks to the dense weave; they are very tough!

Clear sunny skies are also hard on poly. UV inhibitors in our clear poly protect it, normally enabling it to last 3-4 years or more on the sunny south side of a properly ventilated structure left standing year round. Our polys will last even longer in cloudy and shady areas. Our clear polys scatter and refract light, causing it to seem as though the light is coming from all directions. This reduces shadows, eliminates spots of over-intense heat, and provides more uniform light, making it ideal for growing stocky “non-leggy” plants.

Uses for Superstrong Woven Poly

FARMING AND GARDENING
Small & large greenhouses, cold & hot frames, pond & ditch covers and liners. I have lined wooden containers with it for outdoor water troughs. I use it to cover broken shed & barn windows. It's cheap, very fast, hail resistant, and cat proof.

peace ... nexus

G

Ganico I use corrugated fiberglass on the roof of my shed. They make clear and obscure. the obscure let's a lot of light in and people can't see what you are growing.

GCG

Cannapits

garlic city gro said:
Hey DJ don't forget Home depot Orchard supply and any local hardware store.

GCG

I was supprised at the selection when I checked online...Thanks for the idea

D

DJ_highst_

PALRAM corrugated panels

http://palramamericas.com/

Home Depot carries their line of products, but here is there site for info. Really great stuff. This is what I am going to use for my GH, that I will start building in the next few weeks.

agent 420

great links everyone. You guys are making it real easy for me to get started. Lets keep the good ideas flowing. I can see this forum has a lot of potential.

supermanlives

Veteran
try farmtek.com or clearspan.com . i dont live on a farm anymore but will be trying to setup another greenhouse somewhere.

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
do different materials allow different amounts of light in? anyone have a chart saying how much by what material or anything?

G

motaco said:
do different materials allow different amounts of light in? anyone have a chart saying how much by what material or anything?

Yes. Dont have a chart, but most descriptions on the items when you go to buy usually say how much light is difused.

I know remay is 10%, i believe that poly is 15% and most of the corrugated and other hard materials Ive seen are around 20-25%. This is just what I remember off the top of my head.

I can vouch for the poly being super tough. Nothing can tear that stuff. Great light penetration, super tough, and cheap cheap cheap compared to other materials.

peace

G

Has anyone ever came across a system to completely cover your greenhouse for a period of time with a tarp? blocking out the light so ya can flower all year. Before I attempt making it myself, I'd really love to hear if anyone has any ideas. I was thinking a hoop structure built over my greenhouse, having the tarp affixed to that somehow, on pulleys. So please if anyone has any ideas or links I'd love to know. Thanks