What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seeds on plant?

Hey there just had a quick question about finding seeds while trimming my bud.
I just harvested 13 plants, which consisted of 4 different strains.
I found a total of 8 super healthy looking seeds. 4 from 1 stain, and four from another strain, and none on the other 2 strains.
I found very little sign of any other seeds starting anywhere. Just seemed really strange to me that they were so healthy looking with no sign anywhere else.
And I've never had Male plants in my rooms or anywhere near them.
Anyone experience this before?

Hookahhead

What strains were you running? There are 2 explanations I can think of. The most likely is that your plants threw a few bananas, as some strains are known to do. Sometimes these can be buried in the bud so you may only find a small cluster of seeds around that site. The other scenario is that you somehow sucked pollen in through your ventilation. It's more likely if live in a legal state, but it might be that one of your neighbors has a male hanging around. Either way you got pollen into your grow, that's the only way to get seeds. If they are healthy and mature, you know that the incident occurred at least 4-6 weeks before harvest.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
The most likely is that your plants threw a few bananas, as some strains are known to do. Sometimes these can be buried in the bud so you may only find a small cluster of seeds around that site. If they are healthy and mature, you know that the incident occurred at least 4-6 weeks before harvest.

+1

JDubsocal

It happened to me, but I did an outdoor grow. I got 12 seeds from an auto cheese, and 17 seeds from critical mass CBD. All that means for me is I don't have to pay for seeds on the next run. One thing to keep in mind is they are regular seeds. I replanted 6 of the autos for my winter bumper crop and 1 is male. Males are great for me because I will collect the pollen and cross breed my own autos and I thank all the contributing growers who have threads on how to store pollen.

Hookahhead

My last batch was
Barneys Blue Cheese
Bruce Banner #3/Chiquita Banana
Blue Lime Pie
Angola Thai/Purple Hawaiian
Only found the seeds in the Angola and the Banner.
What causes these banana things?
And if it was from these banana things(which I need to research a little more), would the seeds likely be genetically the same as the original? I'm pretty sure it's not from any outside pollen, but u never really know for sure. To me....all the seeds I found look healthier then the originals. So I'll likely sprout some for a little experiment anyway.

Hookahhead

Sorry bananas is just slang for male flowers/pollen sacs. We call them bananas because they look like a little yellow banana. I'll try to find a picture for you later. Females that throw male flowers later in flowering are known as "intersex plants". If this is what occurred than your plants will be "s1" seed, or what we refer to as "selfed" since she pollinated herself. This type of seed will typically produce mostly females, that are often very similar to the mother plant. Many "good" plants have come about by people growing s1 seed, so it's definitely worth you germinating a few to see.

If you see a good number of males, it's more likely it was male pollen from elsewhere. In this scenario the seeds would be "regular".

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
There was a good discussion about intersex plants in this thread recently:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=358563

I have seen hundreds of plants sprout "male" gear on female plants but on separate nodes away from a female flower. This would be called hermie all day in laymans terms, but it fits the description of being monoecious. I have seen a handful of plants that showed a site or two with staminate and pistillate parts on the Same node, its only anecdotal observation, but falls into the less than 1% of all cannabis being from an actual hermaphroditic population, so it may have some merit.

You are correct if the plants are growing different sexual organs at separate nodes/flowers it would be monoecious and not hermaphroditic meaning male and female parts on the same node/flower. A quick search suggests cannabis can be dioecious monoecious or hermaphroditic, but the terminology has all been combined to just "hermie". I wonder if this is the difference between natural intersex expression and stress induced? Many plants produce pollen sacks hermaphroditicly through rodelization stress after the harvest window, leaving monoecious expression natural during plant life.

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Another possibility is pollen from an outside source. If you HEPA filter your air, the pollen would have to be from hermi, or carried in by some one/thing. If you don't filter your air, well... pollen does travel.

I don't suppose you can think of any one specific time (at least 4 weeks ago), when you came in from outside and handled only those two plants? ;)

Oh yeah....I remember these banana things. I grew back about 10 years ago and remember talking about" nanners ". Which I didn't clew in to at the time, but I went back to my old posts and found it...what a burner. Anyway I didn't have any nanners on any plants this time, and I did a real good inspection. I'll repost the picture tomorrow for a reminder to those like me, who are still learning about these nanners.
Bed time

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
It happened to me, but I did an outdoor grow. I got 12 seeds from an auto cheese, and 17 seeds from critical mass CBD. All that means for me is I don't have to pay for seeds on the next run. One thing to keep in mind is they are regular seeds. I replanted 6 of the autos for my winter bumper crop and 1 is male. Males are great for me because I will collect the pollen and cross breed my own autos and I thank all the contributing growers who have threads on how to store pollen.
here's another way.
https://www.opengrow.com/topic/37645-bopms-breed-one-plant-multiples-strains/?hl=bopms&fromsearch=1

So here's a pic that Freezerboy posted for me 10 years ago to show these little nanners.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=10308&pictureid=1913834

Sorry...terrible at computer stuff. See if this works.

Attachments

• 35769IC_4-22-8-Nanner.jpg
    35769IC_4-22-8-Nanner.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 20

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In my experience, a single 'nanner' usually makes a little cluster of seeds directly below where the male flower appeared. But, I don't use direct fans at all. Room air is exchanging plenty, but leaves are not 'rustling'. Probably under direct fans, even a single male flower can produce quite a few well distributed (single) seeds in many plants around the room.

The other possibility is rogue pollin coming in from somewhere else. That would also not produce 'clusters' but would make single seeds here and there.

Unk_OG

Yep, nanners, lol. Had a light leak 2 runs ago. GG4 hermed, pollinated my Mendo Purps. “Gorilla Purps”Got about 200 seeds in the GG4, 25 seeds in the Mendo. Popped 6 beans so far, 5 germed. 2 short Kush with leaves just like my Glue (my Glue has a real distinctive leaves), 1 tall ass thin leaved Sativa type (tastes like juicy fruit gum!) 2 tall Kush types, one green with Mendo leaves, one purple with GG type leaves. They are all great! They all hermmed. I’m going to keep working with them though.

Latest posts

Latest posts