What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY 4xRDWC Hydro

QuantumWeed

This is my @noreason inspired self built RDWC.

4x ~25lt pots

picture.php

~70lt tank

picture.php

"Communicating vessels" not working very well with the pots' return line connected this way but I'll use it as it is for now, need to power on/off the water pump every 15min

picture.php

16L/min Hailea air pump, the smaller air stones work better than big ones

giphy.gif

~200m3/h Baluberg in line extractor

giphy.gif

Last edited:

tleaf jr.

Came up off 75w
Veteran
Thinking bout building something similar...does the water travel back to the rez without the water pump on.

QuantumWeed

Ph was way too low, emptied the system and removed the Cube from the clay pebbles to find out it had no roots coming out of it, solution level has been max high (cube submerged). Will be powering the pump on15min/off15min, due to communicating vessels not working correctly the solution does not return to the tank as fast as it goes into the pots, gonna let the pump draw air to limit the level in the pots as I cannot do less than 15min.

picture.php

Last edited:

QuantumWeed

$$$

$$$

₿₿₿₿₿₿₿₿$$$$$$$$$$€€€€€€​

System

• Tanks, pieps, water filters €150.00
  • Tetra HT 100W Water Heater €18.20
  • Inkbird ITC-308 Thermostat €37.99
  • Inkbird IHC-200 Humidity Controller €39.99
  • DynaSun WOF4005 E27 LightHolder €15.20
  • Mh 400w Kit €102.60
  • GrowBox Mammoth 100x100x180 €96.79
  • Clip Fan €13.40
  • Aolvo LED Grow light bulb 100W €26.21
  • 3x Ultrasonic mistmaker €35.00
  • Hailea ACO-9630 16L/min Air pump €47.90
  • Airstones, airtubes and valves €30.00
  • Maxesla Water pump 20W 220 GPH (1000L/H) €15.99
  • pH / RH / EC(TDS) / TEMP Meters €140.00
  • Timers adn electrical stuff €150.00
  • NetPots €5.00
  • Germination Box 52X42X24CM €25,62
  • 15x Neoprene 7.5cm disks €12.26
  • Mistmaker 3 floater €12.10
  • Cloning Bistoury €3.79
  • PLAT!T watering ring €7.50
-------------------------------------------------------------------
€983.54

Products

• Atami 40L Clay pebbles €14.90
  • Cellmax ph Down Phosphoric Acid 4L €33.00
  • Cellmax ph Down Nitric Acid 1L €6.40
  • Advanced Hydoponics of Holland Starter Kit €52.55
  • EC/Ph Buffers, electrode cleaner €60.82
  • Clonex mist 10ml €9.90
  • ADV Nutrient ph Perfect pack €29.40
  • Biobizz 20LY €14.71
  • Germination peat disks €3.00
---------------------------------------------------------------------
€224.67

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice to see this :yes:

I can give you a suggestion...the inline nozzle, the one where the water go inside the bucket.

If there is too much pressure the water stream will hit the pot. Hitting the pot roots will not be happy, you can use a little 6mm L connection to let the water go directly into the bucket without touching roots.

One more thing is to use a filter, the better you can find. This to reduce the amount of very small particle capable of clogging airstones and reducing their power, increasing the resistance for the air stream. I was using an inox filter like 25µ mesh size.
Use cheap airstones and try each one first. Select only the best and avoid the almost clogged ones. Change them often.

The air-pump you use sucks air from the place it's in....if the air it's hot it will raise the water temp...and vice versa ;)

Then...I wish you all the luck for this run and remember it's always better to grow from cut and not from seed. Better only one cut for run...different strains using the same nutritive solution can go a little crazy sometimes.

Green vibes :wave:

ps: why don't you use a forum picture's album to upload images? It's easy and it auto-resize the image ;)

QuantumWeed

@noreason Thank you for passing by, gonna use all 4 10cm airstones and switch to Ls for the inline.

giphy.gif

What should the ma solutionx level in the pots? As I mentioned the level will not be stable but constantly up and down, I figured this will be good for the roots in the medium to get oxygenated.

Thi is the problem with uploading to icmag album:

picture.php

Last edited:

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would take the level as high as I can and always take care for an optimal oxygenation. However no problem if some roots stay out.

About the albums ok I got you. Maybe if you're using a phone try to take the picture keeping the phone rotated of 90º, it could maybe work.

:wave:

QuantumWeed

8/1

8/1

MutoqTT.jpg

Planted the big one in pre-fertilized, moistened the soil with 5ml of water and nutes.
200ml in mistmaker's water also.
Wanted to calibrate the ec but it perfectly read 1.41 and 12.88 buffers.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

QuantumWeed

9/1

9/1

Planted 4 seeds in peat pellets soaked in .2ms ph7 water.
RH: >80%
Temp lights on: 24-27C
Temp lights off: 17-20C
Diluted the solution and added it to the mistmaker's water.

picture.php

picture.php

QuantumWeed

10/1

10/1

Planted the second seedling and moved both out of the 'serretta' where the seeds in peat disk are hopefully rooting hard.
Set the humidity controller to 69% with the sensor out in the growbox. It is controlling both the blue humidifier and the little one inside the greenhouse.
Temp drop to 16C lights off, still 27C lights on. Raised the termostath to 21C.
Heating with a hairdryer taped in one of the tent's holes, hope it isn't too drastic, but it fits just perfect and it takes air from outside the box.
The blue humidifier is a Cronwall Electronics, if I fill up the tank more than 2lt it drastically reduces the amount of 'vapor' produced.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

QuantumWeed

Max temp in greenhouse: 27.2C
Min temp in greenhouse: 16.5C
Max RH in greenhouse: 96%
Min RH in greenhouse: 64%

Max temp in growbox: 24.7C
Min temp in growbox: 15.3C
Max RH in growbox: 60%
Min RH in growbox: 19%

Couldn't go check on them yesterday, the water in the big humidifier was finished. Moved the small humidifier out of the greenhouse.
Only one seed has germinated so far, the seedling in the broken root cube is not growing.
The soil in the airpots was totally dry, watered both with tap.

picture.php

QuantumWeed

Max temp in greenhouse: 25.1C
Min temp in greenhouse: 16.7C
Max RH in greenhouse: 96%
Min RH in greenhouse: 94%

Max temp in growbox: 24C
Min temp in growbox: 17.8C
Max RH in growbox: 61%
Min RH in growbox: 20%

Happy to see two healty cotyledons spring up from one of the small peat pellets and some movement in the other small one, while the seedling in the cube is not showing any improvement.
Watered the plants again with tap, soil surface resisting to watering a little.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Gazoo31

Everything looks great ! I generally keep my water level anywhere from touching the net pot to 3” below. I’m lazy so I tend to top up high and let em eat...

QuantumWeed

Everything looks great ! I generally keep my water level anywhere from touching the net pot to 3” below. I’m lazy so I tend to top up high and let em eat...

Thanks, have to find a way to keep humidity levels more stable.
Not using the RDWC atm, gonna wait 'till I have some clones.

QuantumWeed

Max temp under dome: 25.5C
Min temp under dome: 14.1C
Max RH under dome: 96%
Min RH under dome: 93%

Max temp in growbox: 23.8C
Min temp in growbox: 16.3C
Max RH in growbox: 63%
Min RH in growbox: 41%

Two more seedlings!
Watered the plants in airpots w/ ~50ml of .7ms 5.7ph and some tap on top.
Lowered the MH about 20cm as the seedling is stretching (nice hairy root coming out of the peat pellet) wondering if it's a good idea to put the plants on top of the dome, obv without blocking light, that wold bring'em at about 40cm from the MH.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

QuantumWeed

Didn't check temps and rh today.
The soil dries fast so I directly soaked the pots in the solution, also placed them on top of the dome, which I hope doesn't bend under the weight, at about 50cm from the MH, curious to see if that speeds up growth.

picture.php

picture.php
\
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts