What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Distinguished and Nurtured Kind

(S)eismic

Thanks Frank, it's good to be back posting. Planning my grow at the moment, so hopefully I be full steam ahead in no time.

So whats the star in your garden these days?

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well, I just harvested my first plant in over 5 years. Only flowered out 3 ladies so far and one is high CBD hemp. Can't really say the competition is too fierce.

However, when a pheno of Chem D/Sour D x SSH/Chem D called Lazy Lightning makes it home, she'll hold the pole position.

dank.Frank

(S)eismic

Crazy Lightning is sounding crazy good to me, then again I'm partial to all the separate components of that cross

Good to hear you are back to harvesting though...will be cool to see what comes down the pike.

genetic freaked

Veteran
Congrats on your harvest DF!!! I bet it feels amazing.. And I'm sure harvesting was still fun for all of 5 mins into trimming LOL...

Are you going to do the quick CBD test?? Id be interested in seeing that.

LAZY LIGHTNING FTW!!!!! Been wanting to taste that girl since she was first posted WAY back in the Stank Bros forum!

gmanwho

Veteran
Lazy is taking her sweet ass time. mag def and single an 3 bladed leafs for abit, almost like a partial reveg. There might have been to much darkness during transport. :dunno:

Or, possibly didnt like my 8/4 8/4 veg sched

Getting some decent node spacing now.....

nickman

Veteran
I’ve never seen a 8/4 8/4 light schedule like that ...

That’s 8 on/4 off and then 8 on/4 off all within the 24 hours ... interesting.
How long have you been doing this ...?... just curious.

nickman

Veteran
Hey Frank, that snowman male that was used in the crosses you sent me...(OGx and SSSDH) must be a very special stud...!!!...

Last night I was looking at all the plants through my jewelers loupe and couldn’t believe it when I found trich’s in everyone of the seedlings... some more than others but they all definitely have them on the newer forming fan leaves... a few even have trich’s on the bigger/older fans...
one of the OGx’s has a ton and this was the first one I spotted it on and how it was brought to my attention...!!!...

Now I know that this kind of thing is nothing new and I’ve seen it before on some seedlings but I just thought that it was kinda kool how ALL 8 of these Snowman seedling have the trich’s...!!!...

Just goes to show what this male can bring to the ball game ...!!!... :tiphat:...

I wish I had some way of taking pictures of it.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@Seismic - The LL cut is special. True top shelf that can hit 3 per lamp under Gavita. It's the only thing I've seen since GG#4 that is a legitimate contender to dethrone her for quality + yield. They are way different plants though. A garden with LL and GG4 is honestly a dream garden for croppers.

@Critter - It's go time, brother! :joint:

@Genetic Freaked - I'll do the home CBD test eventually. I'll do it on 8wk, 9wk and 10wk samples as well. I'll also run the home THC test. I'll do those test BEFORE sending anything into a lab for testing. If the THC shows a low color grade, then lab testing becomes a viable consideration.

You know, if it's mine it's as good as yours.

@Gmanwho - LOL. It wasn't code. You're all good man. Take your time. I want you to enjoy her and get her to put some fire in your jars. She's a pain in the ass to be quite honest. I had a hard time keeping her in veg if she got root bound. Which sucks, because she grows rather vigorously. She's one of those cuts if trying to keep as a mom, you have to root prune and replant about every 2 weeks, even if not taking cuts. I'm just glad the cut is alive.

Phillthy DID in fact have her for a bit, but some how it got jumbled up and lost. He'd like her back. I do my level best to try to keep him in the loop when possible. I'd like her back. I've run her outdoors and city lighting kept her from really flowering properly. Even those plants, hit harder, smoked better - than anything else around at time. My buddy in CO needs her back too.

Did I mention she is a pain in the ass to keep? LOL. I'm just stoked to have the chance to get a proper indoor run of her.

@Nickman - I want to make sure you're clear here. ALL the Snowman seeds were made by Genetic Freaked. He sent me a bunch to package up for the Phillthy fund raiser that never came to fruition. After discussing with Phillthy how to handle that situation, we decided to just give the stuff away to worthy growers. It's the only RIGHT thing to do to try and keep the intentions pure and the love and passion of others not wasted. So, when the opportunity presents itself, I'll hand $500-600 seed packages out to people. I just want people to find good meds.

The male though, yes. The ONLY male, I've EVER seen, that actually produced his very own glandular trichs. Full on resin heads just like a female. Stupid impressive stud. Genetic Freaked sent me a picture of him years back, and I told him do everything he could to keep him alive. I called in half a dozen favors and banked on a couple others. I had DOZENS of clones sent to him that I thought might pair well with the stud. Unfortunately, the only thing that made it was the GG#4 - the rest were plants that were his selections and keepers.

So, even though I send those Snowman seeds out to people, GF made them. It was his male find in a pack of seeds that auctioned for less that $40 if I'm not mistaken. He found the plant of a lifetime in that pack of seeds!!!!

I don't believe in falsely hyping something. I'm a GREAT hype-man though. I can push a product no issue, I just DON'T. The only time I really put my name to something is when I KNOW...KNOW...there is something legitimately special and worth people's time and space.

THE original SNOW-MAN. ANYTHING coming off this male, deserves time and space in people's gardens. It's just that simple.

picture.php

picture.php

dank.Frank

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
The male though, yes. The ONLY male, I've EVER seen, that actually produced his very own glandular trichs. Full on resin heads just like a female. Stupid impressive stud. Genetic Freaked sent me a picture of him years back, and I told him do everything he could to keep him alive. I called in half a dozen favors and banked on a couple others. I had DOZENS of clones sent to him that I thought might pair well with the stud. Unfortunately, the only thing that made it was the GG#4 - the rest were plants that were his selections and keepers.

View Image

View Image

dank.Frank

I have only grown a few males on purpose. Never seen a frosty one.
I guess I was thinking frosty males were more common.
But if this is the only one you have seen, they must be much more rare than I thought.
It's good to know. Thanks

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
People that sort more plants may say otherwise and there are certainly those who do. In my experience, males that produce visible leaf trichs and have a general tackiness to them are desirable traits and something I use as a criteria for culling lesser plants while in veg. However, in flower those plants have never proceeded to make full glandular trichomes on stalks, as seen in the male that Genetic Freaked found.

Even if it is common or not (I say not) the male has produced some stellar plants already giving people keepers in their gardens that have been kept around for a couple years now, such as the GROMberryGlue cut.

The more of the seeds that get sorted, the more keepers will eventually be talked about. It's inevitable. Which is exactly why I'm going to continue sorting some Snow Monkey this next seed sprout.

dank.Frank

genetic freaked

Veteran
Truth be told Snowman should have hit the best of the best elites.. For some reason it wasn't meant to be. I couldn't get these clones to root for the life of me.. It was meant to be because I was rooting everything else that went into that aerocloner..
Im happy I was able to get the GG4 to root because Snow Monkey is a great strain..
I think of all the clones I failed to root Corey and Lime hurt the most.. OMG LimexSnowman..
Ok enough beating myself up about what could have been..

Lets all get DF to pop some Snow Monkey seeds.. I will bet anything right here right now that in 10 seeds he will find something to rival GG4 in every department!

picture.php

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have 8 plants - 4 #2, 3 #1, and the Sis x PK - more or less ready to go except the last Cobalt Haze isn't really done yet. I hate to run a room 3/4 empty but I also hate to harvest early.

What I really want to do, is run smaller plants but more of them. I've done the layout on several different configurations and I think I like the way 18 plants in the bed would work out. I really want a faster turn around at the current moment than 12wks.

So, I selected 19 cuts off the Sis x NL, 12 cuts off the #1 and 11 cuts off the #2. Desired plan is 9 plants of Sis x PK and 9 plants of the #1 make it into flower. Fall back plan is some variation of 6-6-6 or 9-6-3, depending on what roots. I always take more than needed to ensure the plants going into flower are the best performing cuts. In part why I also want to transplant to 1/2 gallon rather than directly to the bed - to weed out any weaker performers.

picture.php

I'm thinking rooted clone, transplanted to 1/2 gallon, vegged under the 315w for 7-10 days, transplanted to the soil bed, then flipped with a screen over the top of them.

dank.Frank

Last edited:

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
i like transplanting from 1/2 gallons or smaller into beds so i don’t have to disturb too much soil. keeps those hard won fungal networks happy.

gmanwho

Veteran
I’ve never seen a 8/4 8/4 light schedule like that ...

That’s 8 on/4 off and then 8 on/4 off all within the 24 hours ... interesting.
How long have you been doing this ...?... just curious.

yes, 8 on 4 off, twice in one 24hrs.

been running 8/4 in veg for maybe...3/4 or so years now. Delta9 talked about it in some of his ppk threads, an i forget who else prior but i know there was someone else.

from what i gather there are what " i see" , a few positive points. I am not an horticulture expert by any means. I do however feel the plants grow healthier, an i know i am a little more efficient. which i will express below. again i am no expert or have a proper education in horticulture.

thoughts where, a young plant can only store or convert so much energy due to lack of development, leaf surface area, roots. nutrient conversion an all the other environmental conditions.

when a clone or teen gets hit with 18hrs of direct light they dont absorb or use all the light that is thrown at them. therefore some of the light energy is wasted. the plants slow an go into stasis, meanwhile the lights are still on.

can they utilize even 6 hrs of light at first? as they develop then it becomes 6.5 hours, 7/8/10 etc...

there is 2 hrs of electrical energy saved. there is 8 hrs of darkness with 8/4 verse 18/6. so there is 2 hrs of electrical energy saved.

they get 2 "naps" instead of one sleep. allowing time to recover an get ready for the next light event. maybe they are sprinting the same distance each day but napping in between. more rest with 8/4. verse jogging at a slower pace, the same distance for 18hrs, each day? they each seem to have there place.

that wasted energy is added $$ to the power bill from light, and ac usage, bulb life. i already pay about 2800-3800 a month in power an any saving counts. an my rates are not high for the usa.

i also remember reading that a plant may keep a day counter based on night cycles, photoperiod. a seedling may think they are 2wice the age they really are. maybe so sex earlier?

i honestly should throw some references attached to this post. but the to-do list is long, and the day is short.

:tiphat:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for sharing the concept. Having been an organic grower for so many years, I've not kept up with growers running other systems quite as much. I'm trying to spread out a bit though and read a broader range of threads to pick up little tidbits people are utilizing or experimenting with.

This is not something I've heard of before either. Much like the far red light bit being discussed in a couple of threads. In all reality, in the current place and time in cannabis, there should be an increase in factual knowledge as more studies are done with the plant.

Prohibition and the high cost / risk / reward paradigm that exists around it, helps cement an, "if it isn't broken, then don't fix it mindset". It's very easy to have success and then never try any other methods. In fact, one of the old overgrow mantra was find what works for you and then stick with it, learn to dial it in and make it perform.

Experimentation, meant more risk as well. Acquiring parts that don't necessarily have every day uses, which resulted in more DIY projects to modify items for the purpose of staying under the radar. It meant more trips to the hydro store and if you switched systems then you had more unused grow paraphernalia stacking up, which would just increase your charges.

It's still not legal where I live. The fight is not over. Prohibition is still a real thing and people are still being locked in cells and losing their families and their lives over this plant. People still don't have access to affordable medicine, even in the so called legal states, ie the regulated states.

I've dedicated the Suzy Q Bx2 harvest for extraction purposes. Looks to be about 7-9oz. A family friend has been given about 6 months to live, eaten up with cancer. Guess I harvested just in time; it's time to start making oral tinctures again.

dank.Frank

Americangrower

Veteran
I run 24/7 during veg always have. I may do 18/6 but its hard because I never know what time I will get to the room. I guess I could shut light off from 4pm until 10pm pretty safe to say I won't be there between that time.
I recently went Scappy doo on my veg room, bought 4 dual led shoplights from Joblot cut tubes off. Damn I think I can veg the whole 4 x 8 room with just those 4 lights. Nice thats like 170W sure beats running 600w mh.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Going to need to check those LEDs out for veg. It's an upgrade on the list for sure. I still use 6, 4' t8 6500k shop lights for each shelf in veg. Have 12 running now. Think they are pulling about 540w total between ballasts and bulbs. Certainly an area that could be improved for the performance I'm [not] getting.

dank.Frank

Americangrower

Veteran
Going to need to check those LEDs out for veg. It's an upgrade on the list for sure. I still use 6, 4' t8 6500k shop lights for each shelf in veg. Have 12 running now. Think they are pulling about 540w total between ballasts and bulbs. Certainly an area that could be improved for the performance I'm [not] getting.

dank.Frank

Go to ocean state joblot if you have 1. $15 each and they are daisy chained.