What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dutch pilot experiment: LEGALLY growing organic female hemp flowers high in CBD

VonBudí

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ
Veteran
picture.php

is there a name/website link for those drying boxes?
theres a couple of cbd oils & products listed on zamnesia, do you know if these are legit?

very interesting thread hope everything going great,plans for next year?

karl.uk

Hi All,
Is there a way to grow seedess hemp, the Finola variety apart from how you would undertake a sensimilla grow ( taking out all the males in 2 acres would be a nightmare to do and frankly I dont think you would be 100% successfull)
Any Ideas.
Thanks
Karl

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Use a 'unisex' or 'female predominant' variety and try to get the expensive F1 'seed generation' where roughly 90% of the plants are females, the rest is monoecious (aka hermaphrodite) and true male. 'Femeln' should be much less trouble but you still risk to fully pollinate your crops when missing a male or two (or hermie). BTW, male flowers on males and monoecious specimens should be visible before the female flowers. See also my 'Hemp Seed Hub'.

Hi People,

I'll just give you a short update which will be followed by a more detailed one later.

We've been working on developing a good method to upscale the successful small scale extraction methods we developed so far.

- Making progress in developing a method for stripping the dried plants and filtering out the calyces (volume reduction purposes)
- Good results using dry ice to separate the trichomes from calyces plant material. Basically making dry ice hash hemp style.
- Successful alcohol extraction of the hemp trichome hash. Obtaining very concentrated oil.

Thanks for all the support people! Stay tuned :)

Hi All,
Is there a way to grow seedess hemp, the Finola variety apart from how you would undertake a sensimilla grow ( taking out all the males in 2 acres would be a nightmare to do and frankly I dont think you would be 100% successfull)
Any Ideas.
Thanks
Karl

I think it's possible and feasible to gather a group of workers walk through narrowly planted strips of hemp (1 meter wide) and pluk out the males. You'll probably have to walk through the field 3-4 times in a period of 3 weeks to get out all the males. Sow extra high density (2x 30kg/ha = ~60 kg/ha for Finola) to compensate for loss of males!

If all goes well with processing this batch of last year we might sow again this year and see if we can make a Finola girls only party! ;-)

is there a name/website link for those drying boxes?
theres a couple of cbd oils & products listed on zamnesia, do you know if these are legit?

very interesting thread hope everything going great,plans for next year?

Hi, I think most of the CBD oils online are legit in the sense that they contain CBD (or CBDA).... but in general I find the oils to be very expensive. I have a feeling that the average Joe takes to little CBD because of the steep pricing. So they might end up receiving less benefit from oil than they could. Some science sources talk about effective treatment doses of 5 mg per kg body weight per day. For and 80 kg person that is 400 mg of CBD per day. Taking this dosing into account... doing the simple math I can conclude that a lot of currently available oils are quite expensive for the average Joe.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Like you said partially but with the political situation among the status of growing hemp all female for CBD extraction is still the question if you don't need an approved permit.

Keep on growing :)

oldchuck

Veteran
In my state the hemp law is very simple. Pay $25 to the state Ag department and you can grow as much near zero THC hemp as you want and there are no restrictions on how it is used. The Ag department is allowed to inspect and test but they have no budget for it and no expertise. Culling male plants and using the females for medicine is totally legal.

Of course, I live in a very small state. Other places seem very different. I have not read them but I understand Oregon is drawing up a very extensive rule set and Colorado already has one in place, and so forth. I don't see the point

As I understand the Dutch law regarding hemp there is nothing mentioned in regards to having to have both male and female plants. As long as you are growing for fibers and/or seed production you are legal (and of course using a EU certified hemp variety). So we are growing for both 'seeds' (among others to obtain oil for making biobased resins, and press pulp as protein source) and 'fibers' and shives to make biobased hempcrete. Very interesting by-product is CBD/CBDA oil.

As for progress. The stripping machine we built is effective at stripping but takes quite some manual labour to perform. We are now looking into combining the stripping and dry ice trichome separation in one process to cut down on time.

As for analytical news. At a University of Sciences here in the Netherlands the coming 5 months analytical research will be done on determining the cannabinoid profile and possibly even terpene profile of our harvest and various extracts. Looking into the differences of various extraction techniques. Possibly including research on long time low temperature decarboxylation in order to preserve volatile terpenes. More clarity soon. :)

Last edited:

Cannabidiolator

Dear DutchHempCBD,

WE are on a similar path. Our group is an organic hemp Coop in Colorado. We are using a very high CBD hemp genotype cloned by industrial horticultural plug propagation as seed is unstable and sensimilla is much more CBD productive. We use a mechanical transplanter to plant the plugs at 2000 plants per acre, no males, 12% CBD. One of our group will be in Amsterdam nest week. Any chance of cooperation? Off site would be best. info at cannatech dot coop

karl.uk

Hi All,
It is apparent that the extraction of the product is the key.
However has anyone looked at making 'Cannabis Paste' as I understand this does not destroy the valuable terpenes and cannabiniods.
Its is made by grinding down the bud, and mixing with Coconut oil (or similar), then heating for approx 10-12 hours at 155 deg f. It makes a paste, and is administered by rubbing onto the skin, (thus taken into the bloodstream)
RSO or similar oil is injested, and the digestion progress can nutrilize some of the good terpenes and other properties before it gets into the blood stream.
Any thoughts ??

Hi All,
It is apparent that the extraction of the product is the key.
However has anyone looked at making 'Cannabis Paste' as I understand this does not destroy the valuable terpenes and cannabiniods.
Its is made by grinding down the bud, and mixing with Coconut oil (or similar), then heating for approx 10-12 hours at 155 deg f. It makes a paste, and is administered by rubbing onto the skin, (thus taken into the bloodstream)
RSO or similar oil is injested, and the digestion progress can nutrilize some of the good terpenes and other properties before it gets into the blood stream.
Any thoughts ??

Hi Karl.uk. YES! It's all about the extraction. But the extraction proces already starts with how you treat your plant material. As we see it now the most ideal extraction method would be focused on dislodging the resin heads of the trichomes from fresh plant material without using water (so no cold water ice bath). There is some evidence for terpenes partially dissolving in water. This would be followed up by either super critical CO2 (extraction parameters such as retion time, flow, temperature and pressure determine the quality) or low temperature vacuum rotary evaporated alcohol extraction say between 20 and 40 degrees Celsius.

We are slowly but surly making progress. Currently we are putting our focus on dislodging the resin heads on the trichomes. Experimenting with using dry ice (nuggets and high pressure dry ice blasting), liquid nitrogen, screen sizes.

As for the paste, I think it's a lot of hype (and even some disinformation on dosage) on something that is fundamentally no different than cannabis infused vegetable oil. I.e. the classic cannabutter. As for terpenes, this research by Arno Hazekamp indeed points to superior terpene preservation with vegetable oil infusion. So yes, the paste would be good, though I wonder what science is behind the duration of the infusion (over or under decarboxylation). This process also doesnt allow for cold extraction for say CBDA. As for the skin as an administration route, unless you have a skin disease like skin cancer I would take oil in sublingually (under tong) or rectal. The last two methods are reasonable routes of administration that reduce the metabolic inhibition of cannabinoids via the first pass effect.

Arno Hazekamp, Cannabis Oil: chemical evaluation of an upcoming
cannabis-based medicine
http://www.bedrocan.nl/userfiles/file/cannabs oil hazekamp Romano.pdf

This is the basis for our home built tumbler. Updated pictures coming soon.