What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mixing up some soil for a GG

I'm GGing ********* (aka *********** since they aren't true autoflowers in that you can clone them under 24/0), and was hoping to do so organically. So far they've enjoyed 100% organics.

Here's the thread if you're interested
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=216066
EDIT: thread was deleted because I'm running gear from a "banned breeder".

The plan is to make a EWC base with lots of soil ammendments, and then to mix this with native soil, hopefully at about a 1:3 ratio. I'm going off of the box labels for quantities, and was hoping you guys might be able to let me know if I'm on the right track or not.

For 32 gallons of final soil mix I plan to use...

500g water crystals
50g sulphate of potash
6 gallons EWC
~1.5 L (1.5kg) kelp meal
2 kg glacial rock dust
2 L high phosphorous (26% P) bat guano
~5 L perlite

I'll also be innoculating my mix with teas of EWC, guana, and kelp meal.

I was originally planning on using blood meal as well, but I've heard that these plants shouldn't get very much N in flower (they should flower as soon as they're put into this mix), and I already have EWC. I'm hoping the EWC don't prove to provide too much N. Hopefully with some good living soil these girls will be feeding themselves, and not with N.

Anybody see any glaring issues with this? I don't have a lot of time to let this mix "cook". I'm planning on mixing the ammendments and the EWC tonight with a watering of EWC ACT. I'll allow it a week to sit, and then mix it into native soil. After another week, the girls should be going into the holes.

I'm going to mix in the water crystals at the last possible moment so they don't suck up "hotter" nutes.

I'll probably be able to top dress once about a month or so into flowering.

intotheunknown

Veteran
the p guano, kelp meal, glacial rock dust and ewc look good to me, id toss in some n bat guano and maybe some alfalfa meal. and of course cant forget the dolomite lime.
peat perlite local soil etc maybe instead of a ewc base mix?

with a mix like this you wouldnt have to regularly use an act tea. just water till about mid flower. and maybe a topdress and one tea at mid flower

but im sure plenty will chime in and give you a ton of good ideas as well. lots of great organic growers here.

If I add alfalfa meal should I cut down a bit on the kelp meal to make sure I don't over N things? This strain is said to not flower on time if too much N is provided, so I don't want to give it N guano.

I might go with a coco/perlite base instead of so much EWC, again to avoid N.

Dolomite lime will depend on the soil samples I take when I go dig my holes.

Well I went with the mix I described earlier. We'll see how it does. I'm a little concerned that it won't be enough P guano, but we'll see. I can always top dress.

descivii

Banning something just draws my attention to it, If it really sucks then let it suck of its own accord without hiding it from me.

J

Yeah, I'm not too pleased about it, but whatever. It's their site and it is run by a (sort of) seed bank, so it makes sense for them to protect their business.

The infighting and politics that goes on and around seed banks is odd and frightening, so I'd rather just avoid it. Not calling out icmag or seedbay when I say that either. While researching the breeder who's gear I'm running I just came across a lot of forum drama that put me off the idea of inter-breeder (that sounds dirty) politics.

Well I've mixed my mix and I'm just letting it set. I've got some fungus gnats though so I'm covering the mixture. Plus I didn't realize how bad kelp smelt. I hope it doesn't attract animals.

Hopefully covering it doesn't result in anaerobic bacteria, though of course it will. I need to fix the fungus gnats fast. Sticky strips placed between the pots, hanging from the reflector, and on the soil surface (sticky part sticking up) are generating staggering bug kills. I believe I was really underwatering before. So I upped the quantity of water per rinse and it really brought back a fungus gnat issue I thought was beaten.

I just need to get some mosquito dunks. Supposedly they'll stop the problem in the larval stage.

mosqiuto dunks take a little time, maybe a week or 2 to start and a month, to be good. I just used Gonats (minutes ago) which might fight off adults. Even in my past synthetic grows I think mj starts to yellow out without a flush or anything. I'm thinking you're worrying too much about nitrogen. Give 'em everything and they'll take what they need, but guano's can burn so be careful

Latest posts

Latest posts