What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

can i use maple syrup in the last 4 weeks of flower? instead of molasses

J

JackTheGrower

Oh I see it once in a while here and there and the brands are different.. It's a specialty item ( the real stuff ) And it doesn't even have that warning that it came from Canada on it any more!

JK it never did..

I have had it.. I bought a little Jug last winter to have some special hot cake mix a friend had made and we used real maple syrup on that and real butter and real fun too..

J

JackTheGrower

honey is an anti-fungal and anti-bacterial, ancient Egyptians used to apply it to wounds to prevent infection.

Means it can't be good for the micros.

I have the opinion it isn't bad in small amounts.. I make a coffee mix of cowboy brewed coffee, Honey and or molasses, algamin ( liquid kelp ), fish emulsion, Azomite, guano of choice, compost leach or whatever else I can think of..
It's a hot mix.. Coffee is brewed hot. All materials go in a bucket and get stirred.

I stir it a few times then strain and mix with water into a 2 gallon pump sprayer with the nozzle cut off and apply to an already soaked soil.
It's cool by then. If I do it right is smells minty.

Now I agree too much is a bad thing logically but, I don't know of any real damage that Honey does.. I mean 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup raw organic honey in 2 gallons of water seems okay once or twice in Veg.. I do not go crazy with sugars mostly.. It's a treat IMO.
I went a bit wild with Cane to see the effects of Fungus growth in the soil this time. Hey it's possible to tilt the table so to speak.. Just don't flip it.

I mean it's safe to experiment with but, it is on my "Do I need it ?" list

alphaguru

I can't imagine a single place @ 20N which wouldn't sell Molasses

map.GIF

hahahahaha

good one

J

JackTheGrower

But why does Alaska look like a puking Cat or a dripping hand?

Actually it all seems to resemble chicken in some way.. Or is it me?

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
honey is an anti-fungal and anti-bacterial, ancient Egyptians used to apply it to wounds to prevent infection.

Means it can't be good for the micros.

honey is antibacterial when undiluted because the sugar content is so high. diluted with water and it is all game for microbes.

maryjohn

Veteran
you do know they have this thing called importing right?

and we have the same watery maple syrup here, its not thick if it's maple, that's just pancake syrup.

Yes we know the difference, thanks.

No you don't. I've lived both places, and the stuff you are talking about is thin compared to butterworth, but not the same. Even in Maine, you don't get it often. It is not exported as there is not enough to go around. You are getting real maple syrup, but it is boiled way longer. Any hint of amber and it's not the stuff. According to producers in my extended family, Americans don't have a taste for it anyway due to a breakfast syrup background. We call that stuff telephone pole syrup.

If you go to Quebec you might see some. Point of pride for us. Other than maple syrup, we cling to our jokes about Americans who believe they are the center of the world and can buy any experience they desire. There are some things you can't get unless you go out and see the world.

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
Honey also seems to destroy anaerobic bacteria but not aerobic bacteria. Or at least it seems to destroy it more. I would love to have actual science on this.

I use honey for cloning gel. Works as well as any store-bought compound that I have ever tried. Seems like when I use a dab of compost tea on my coir pucks, the rooting happens even faster. So I doubt the honey is hurting the herd.

F

Four2Zero

No you don't. I've lived both places, and the stuff you are talking about is thin compared to butterworth, but not the same. Even in Maine, you don't get it often. It is not exported as there is not enough to go around. You are getting real maple syrup, but it is boiled way longer. Any hint of amber and it's not the stuff. According to producers in my extended family, Americans don't have a taste for it anyway due to a breakfast syrup background. We call that stuff telephone pole syrup.

If you go to Quebec you might see some. Point of pride for us. Other than maple syrup, we cling to our jokes about Americans who believe they are the center of the world and can buy any experience they desire. There are some things you can't get unless you go out and see the world.

Wow thats very informative. My guess is that it gives insight into an average Canadians thoughts. Fascinating. You guys know us better than we know ourselves. Plus you know all that stuff about maple syrup. Hey, ever heard of Vermont?

Yes, pure maple syrup can be used just like molassas with your plants. I know a great grower that has always used maple syrup.

peace :rasta:

maryjohn

Veteran
I live in the USA. Have done so for 2/3 of my life. Also spent some time in Vermont. And I know what I am talking about - as a Canadian, as a quebequois, and as an an American.

I am also a maple syrup nut. Vermont makes the good stuff but it is not wasted on tourists.

If the word amber is on your syrup, you have not had the good stuff.

20north

well i found some MO organic black strap is the ingredient and i think thats what we shoot for with MO any way a clever friend had some to lend me i didnt have to buy the bottle for 5$ us

im guessing its a good idea not to flush with this on the last week?

maryjohn

Veteran
you can use it whenever, just don't overdo it. I just do it every 2 weeks to 1 month.

you are growing organic. don't worry about flushing. your plant will run the show and stop feeding. take care of your soil like you normally would, it will take care of your plants like it normally would.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if you have a local animal feed store, they sometimes carry feed grade blackstrap molasses, works like a charm and its CHEAP. last time i got a 5 gallon bucket for 15-20$. ended up giving tons away and still had too much. good thing it doesnt go bad.

RockyMountainHi

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with th
Veteran
friend had some to lend me i didnt have to buy the bottle for 5$ us

And I thought I was cheap!

Last time I checked, a bottle of unsulfered molassas was $1.85, (it's at the grocery store in the baking section) 1 teaspoon to a gallon of water ---- stuff goes a ways - Nice to have friends - but I'd rather buy it than explaine why I gotta borrow molassas. (5

I can't help but wonder,, if you were using urine for fertalizer - would ya need to borrow that too?

DrBudGreengenes

Veteran

http://www.bustedtees.com/canadaamericashat

maryjohn

Veteran
he gets amazing results because he knows how to grow and is an old pro, not because he uses maple syrup.

You can use any sugar source as a sugar source and if you use it properly it will do its job. even bleached white sugar will do the trick. You are providing ATP to microbes.

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
YES. you can use maple syrup,, we often do! :D

Maple syrup is as good as molasses IMO ,, mainly because it is a natural sugar,, whereas molasses is processed. Likewise if you research the available % of sugar , when using they sucrose, maltose or fructose as food for the micro-heard,, you will discover that while containing some added vitamins cane molasses is the second cheapest option available to homegrowers after sugar itself!

Personally,, if we can afford it,, then we use honey,, since the variety of fructose compounds produce better flavour in the end flowers than sucrose does. If/when using sugars we use cane sugar ,, because it is 99.9% sucrose and 0.01% water.

Granny can keep her molasses... :joint:

Hope this helps

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's some info. i n i put together ,,, on another thread:

Sources:

- glucose , aka glycerol syrup

- sucrose , aka molasses / cane sugar

- fructose , aka honey

- maltose , aka malt syrup

Approx. breakdown:

Cane Sugar = 90% sucrose : total carbohydrates 99%

Molasses (blackstrap) = 50% sucrose (approx) and 10% fructose : total carbohydrates 60-80%

Molasses (sugar beet) = sucrose, glucose, and fructose : total carbohydrates 50%

Honey = fructose 40% , glucose 30% , sucrose 1% , 10% maltose / complex sugars, 19% water : total carbohydrates 80%

Maple Syrup = sucrose 60% approx. : total carbohydrates 67%

Conclusion:

Molasses is the cheapest source of carbohydrate available (next to sugar)! This is why farmers feed it to cows!

While blackstrap molasses may contain many beneficial trace elements (like iron and calcium),, it also carries undesirable ones (like sulphur) depending on source and treatment.

Substitutions for Molasses include inverted sucrose formulas (like Golden Syrup and Treacle) which have already been broken down into glucose and fructose. These are however usually treated with sulphur.

The exact nutrient value has a lot to do with the way the molasses was processed.

Synthetically produced inverted sugar syrups in fact mimic honey... and ultimately they share a similar carbohydrate value.

Honey is the most natural sugar available!

n.b hoosierdaddy : honey is prevented from molds in the hive by the flapping of bee wings ,, this helps prevent airborne yeasts from fermenting and reduces water content, thus converting nectar into sucrose, fructose and other complex sugars. Honey also contains trace minerals and vitamins

Hope this helps...

it's all relative to carbohydrates...!!!!

maryjohn

Veteran
maple syrup is processed by boiling.

and lots of it is unsulfured.

I believe it's the processing that make molasses so nutritious (other than sugar). It's all the impurities from a taste point of view but all the good stuff from the soil's perspective.

that said, all that is in molasses can be had elsewhere.