What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hydroton users: quick tip

Does the vinegar do anything substantial for your airstones? I usually end up buying new stones every run because they jist never seem to really unclog for long or are as effective as new

mushroombrew

Veteran
I do the same in a big plastic trashcan. But I prefer pH down as vinegar is too stinky for me. Same thing leave it as long as you like. A rinse first is manadatory. I poke a few holes in the bottom of the bag and let the hose run into it. Then I leave about 5% of dust and broken pieces in the bag. Lots of "fines" from transport. The crumbs work nice for seedlings.
But gum up your trays with clay.

I also use the same method for sanitizing. Soak with bleach. Then soak in water. Then use.
Hydroton says to leave root pieces in the media. Well I just can't do that. I maintain a very clean environment. Have not had problems. Been running the same media for over a year.

In the future I will take a big cement mixer and heat it with the media to sterilize. Less steps...

mushroombrew

Veteran
Does the vinegar do anything substantial for your airstones? I usually end up buying new stones every run because they jist never seem to really unclog for long or are as effective as new

Dump the stones get air rings. They look like a soaker hose. I keep them in service almost 18 months. Many nutes break down stones. I am done using them.

Latest posts

Latest posts