What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

?? Purge air from curing jars with nitrogen...

brown_thumb

...or some other inert noninteracting gas?

I was wondering if this would prevent mold from growing. The jars could occasionally be opened to allow oxygen inside for a few minutes to ensure botulism and other oxygen-hating bad things will die off. Then purge the air again and reseal.

Would this affect the curing process?

Easy7

Veteran
Dry it enough so you do not get mold.

Would help long term storage. So would a freezer. I will never have enough to worry about that.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I've settled on 10 days hanging plant/branches @ 70*ish @ 50%-60% RH, in the dark with only a small exhaust fan above to keep air circulating and then after initial trimming put into cardboard boxes or brown paper bags for another couple, three weeks before going into bottles..

If youre doing only one or two small producing plants fine with bottles but burping the bottles before boxes/bags was killing me..

Nitrogen seems a pricey remedy.. where would one get nitrogen? do you have a Nitrogen generator?

gmanwho

Veteran
brown thumb. i heard that they use nitrogen in some of these sealed store bought packed cans from the dispo/stores.

nitrogen is cheap from any gas supply or hvac supply store. nitrogen is used often to purge line sets, pressurize systems to check for leaks. also used as a constant purge when brazing new line set connections. nitrogen allows less or no contaminants created during the heating/brazing process compared to outside air. no oxidation i was told.

Del_9_THC

I have always dried them sufficiently prior to canning them in mason jars.
Never had a mould problem and if stored correctly last a very very long time with no degradation of potency nor any other issues.

However, given that regular air is roughly 80% nitrogen, I don't see how pure nitrogen would be that much better.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oxidization. Some growers down south purge and hold a crop six monthes to dodge the outdoor boom.