What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The monsanto of pot? Wtf?

Raho

Veteran
Cannabis bred for a Cannabinoid or Terpene profile that did not exist in the past can be patented. When we bred varieties that had only one Cannabinoid they did not exist before we bred them and we could of patented them but I did not want to. Our breeding was classical breeding not GMO, we never worked with GMO ever.
-SamS

Hi Sam and others,
Although many are similar, aren't all individual cannabis plants (not asexually propagated) unique?
Presumably there are differences in the cannabinoid and terpene profiles of every discrete plant.
The question when it comes to naturally occurring phenos then becomes, what is "close enough" between two plants with similar profiles to be considered the same? Has that been codified yet?

In patented food crops, the big ag devils modify the DNA to add a genetic marker that is unique because it doesn't occur in nature.
This marker allows them to identify their plants or when plants from their seed have pollinated others to produce new seed.

Without that genetic mod, cannabis is like humans when it comes to plants grown from seed: No 2 are the same.

Does that mean Chimera's patent based on cannabinoid and terp profiles is basically an academic exercise with no significance to anyone that does not hold a cutting from his keeper plant and want to use it as is to make a product based on it?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

PDX Dopesmoker

oldbootz, On the US west coast we've been breeding and growing the strongest shit in the universe for decades mainly as way to cope with the incessant greedy and frequently violent machinations and torutured-into-slavery logic of our more sober (but still less sane) brothers and sisters from the more respectable sectors of society.

ion

HA! oldbootz gots it!....

besides legal bullshit and greed, you forgot to mention the unending supply of freedums and democracies we, as Murikans, enjoy as citizens of the greatest country ever......or, something like that. hopefully the sarcasm isnt dripping off your screens and into the keyboard right now....

same as it ever was.......bring on the gmo pot and new paradigm of "legal" reefer. we'll all be wishing we had ronny raygun back in office with 20-man swat teams battering down doors for your 3 plant grow. now that we're here and the legal is coming, i encourage the reefer aficionados with no understanding to go buy that pack of ghost toenail fromunda cheese kush cookies that everyone's raving about on FB ......people who want to see and understand will do so, people who see what's going on will adjust and stay away from american popular culture entropy......just watch out for genetic drift if you're growing outdoors, ya dont want monsatan to sample your buds and come after you with a fuckery of lawyers because their shitbag genetics crossed into your flowers.

CaptainDankness

whoa that set me back on my heels.
wasn't SkunkmanSam soliciting genetic samples from anyone and anywhere?
phylo or some related name.
is this what they were/are up to?

not accusing you Sam, but the optics are bad. can you blame me?

https://www.newsweek.com/2016/03/25...annabis-genome-changing-weed-game-436526.html

https://www.phylosbioscience.com/cannabis-genotyping/
Sam himself isn't making GMO marijuana to my knowledge, but he did let GW Pharmacuticals use his plants while is partnered with Bayer/Monsanto haven't heard of Monsanto working on marijuana yet but another partner of GW Veritas Pharma Inc. is working on GMO marijuana openly.

The DNA mapping did help out they now know what can't be patented. They also know the genes for terpines at the least probably a lot more we don't know about yet.

Not all bad though if THCV or a number of other cannabinoids could be locked down for certain medical uses would be great for truly medical uses.

The downside they can make a true breeding, dank, high yielding, mold and herbicide resistant variety that can be grown in fields with ease giving a big business pretty much a monopoly as organically it will cost a lot more time and money making it damn near impossible to profit off of growing. But I would personally be happy just to be allowed to grow my own outdoors in my yard. I already know someone like Philip Morris will take over majority of the cannabis industry and like tobacco good luck profiting on growing a field.

Of course many people are going to hate it just like all the bootleggers who were forced to find another job.

Really how can one compete with just Afghanistan and Indian growers in a legal market? Sure our weed might be a little better but that Indian charas is damn good certainly might be slightly less potent than bubble hash but it tasted better like dry sieve.

CaptainDankness

One thing that can be very bad about DNA mapping is it can be used by law enforcement to track down the breeder or grower. It could be used just like human DNA left behind at a crime scene.

I read an article about it a while back it certainly can be used for bad. Right now it's a good thing but it's got potential to screw us over pretty good.

wasgedn

gmo mari will never ever can compete with the old and true cannabis strains...
they are underlay their own brainwash..hehe...they really think they will find the holy grail with gmo...haha....after some years all will kno its same like chem vitamins and natural vitamins...
the only point which gmo is good for is on fckt up soil ...oversaturated chem soil ...resistants against chemtrailing...

the funny thing in todays acriculture they fight nature agents plants which ones have the task to break dense soil ...and so on and so on..

old science makes no money....
and this people worship new science and money system...

the scene over there should forget about the fact of legalization and should do it like before legalization...no data,plants etc for nobody except trusted people...

Betterhaff

Veteran
I’d be more concerned about GMO going the other way, such as what is done to produce insulin. Inserting genetic material from cannabis into yeast or bacteria to produce cannabinoids.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Sam himself isn't making GMO marijuana to my knowledge, but he did let GW Pharmacuticals use his plants while is partnered with Bayer/Monsanto haven't heard of Monsanto working on marijuana yet but another partner of GW Veritas Pharma Inc. is working on GMO marijuana openly.

FYI, GW does not grow GMO Cannabis, period.

The DNA mapping did help out they now know what can't be patented. They also know the genes for terpines at the least probably a lot more we don't know about yet.

Not all bad though if THCV or a number of other cannabinoids could be locked down for certain medical uses would be great for truly medical uses.

You do not need GMO Cannabis for THCV, or CBCV, or CBDV, or CBGV, they can all be produced using classical bred Cannabis, they already are.

The downside they can make a true breeding, dank, high yielding, mold and herbicide resistant variety that can be grown in fields with ease giving a big business pretty much a monopoly as organically it will cost a lot more time and money making it damn near impossible to profit off of growing. But I would personally be happy just to be allowed to grow my own outdoors in my yard. I already know someone like Philip Morris will take over majority of the cannabis industry and like tobacco good luck profiting on growing a field.

This can all be done with non-GMO classical breeding.

Of course many people are going to hate it just like all the bootleggers who were forced to find another job.

Really how can one compete with just Afghanistan and Indian growers in a legal market? Sure our weed might be a little better but that Indian charas is damn good certainly might be slightly less potent than bubble hash but it tasted better like dry sieve.

Terpenes are the future, and what folks will want, it is easy to find high THC varieties today, but each smoker has his preferences for the terpenes that give the taste, smell, and effects they like. Breeding for terpenes has just begun.
-SamS

wasgedn

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
I already know someone like Philip Morris will take over majority of the cannabis industry and like tobacco good luck profiting on growing a field.
they altered everything good into shit in the past...
no matter what..
look what they did to hip hop...today guys saying hip hop is about drugs and sex...
all get moneytized...
no morals...
no independence for the small people...

in my country they didnt made it legal...but one or two legal licence for big time med canna company..sensi seeds bedrocan is not total weak but its trash in compare with real cannabis...

i j
[/FONT]

You cannot patent a seed variety BUT...

Plants & seed varieties CAN be protected via PVPA for a period of 20 years. After those 20 years are up, I think anybody can do pretty much whatever they want with that particular protected variety.

Speculation of this point is pretty much useless since all the needed info is readily available by looking around a little.

Pretty sure this link to Cornell U. will answer any questions one might have concerning PVPA (Plant Variety Protection Act of 1970)
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/7/chapter-57

As to your last comment quoted...
The powers that be can & do exactly as they please.
They believe the saying "Sometimes it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. Lol

And to add to your astute contribution here is another link that speaks to the legal side of plant patents thru the
USPTO (united states patent and trademark office) Monsanto is so powerful they actually have the ability and deep pockets to change legislation and intimidate governments and regulatory agencies, so if anyone thinks that someone will be able to put a stop to them you are smoking some pretty stout erb lending to allowing you to live in a dream world!!!

Heres the link. and a snippit from it to get you started

"The provisions of this title relating to patents for inventions shall apply to patents for plants, except as otherwise provided.

As noted in the last paragraph of the statute, the plant patent must also satisfy the general requirements of patentability. The subject matter of the application would be a plant which developed or discovered by applicant, and which has been found stable by asexual reproduction. To be patentable, it would also be required:

That the plant was invented or discovered and, if discovered, that the discovery was made in a cultivated area.
That the plant is not a plant which is excluded by statute, where the part of the plant used for asexual reproduction is not a tuber food part, as with potato or Jerusalem artichoke.
That the person or persons filing the application are those who actually invented the claimed plant; i.e., discovered or developed and identified or isolated the plant, and asexually reproduced the plant."

Great read by the way. http://corporate.findlaw.com/intell...rmation-about-35-u-s-c-161-plant-patents.html

Peace

CaptainDankness

Terpenes are the future, and what folks will want, it is easy to find high THC varieties today, but each smoker has his preferences for the terpenes that give the taste, smell, and effects they like. Breeding for terpenes has just begun.
-SamS

Yeah, terpenes are where it's at for sure nothing better than great tasting weed. I don't even care if it's slightly less potent as a few extra hits are a pleasure.

One thing I don't really understand is how indica and sativa give different highs must just be something to do with the cannabinoid profile. Kind of like how C99 is quick like an indica/broad leaf but gives a high closer to Sativa/narrow leaf.

Though a nice long flowering Haze hybrid does have something special going on as does a good indica dominant.

But I'm sure GW isn't using GMO's yet but that Veritas Pharma inc. is at least breeding genetically engineered plants, they do have a USPTO patent as well not sure exactly what the patent is for. But they say GW and 2 other pharmacutical companies are partnered somehow it's been awhile since I read their investor statement but they did mention working with genetical engineering how far they have come along I have no idea.

CaptainDankness

And to add to your astute contribution here is another link that speaks to the legal side of plant patents thru the
USPTO (united states patent and trademark office) Monsanto is so powerful they actually have the ability and deep pockets to change legislation and intimidate governments and regulatory agencies, so if anyone thinks that someone will be able to put a stop to them you are smoking some pretty stout erb lending to allowing you to live in a dream world!!!
Of course we can't stop Monsanto from entering the cannabis industry but we will always have the option to buy seeds elsewhere like we do every other plant.

I'm never bought seeds from Monsanto and I do grow all kinds of fruits and veggies weed legalization won't change my garden I love growing weed and I breed a little.