What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best brand of CMH????

hey frozen... can u run one one bulb???... i'm using a 4x3.5ft tent... not sure if i will need 630w, maybe 315 will work... and ofcourse heat is the other problem in a small tent...

I ran mine in a tent that was 2.6×4.75ft. It was overkill as I ran the 630w DE bulb at 700w. Heat wasn't an issue at all. I run a single 6 inch hyper fan with a carbon filter for ventilation, and tent temps stayed 72-78° i haven't ran a single end 315 bulb so coverage on that isn't a question I can answer. What I can say is the penetration and par output on the 630w is equivalent to what I was getting with a 1000w DE hps dimmed to 750w.

The last grow with c99 I had to move the girls from the 2x4 tent to my 5x9 tent due to c99 deciding to overgrow my 2x4. So the 4 c99 finished bloom in a 5x5 area with the 630w at 700w. Bud density on the colas was phenomenal for a sativa dominant strain. Mid canopy was dense as well. Lower popcorn was fluffy, but that's normal. What wasn't normal was the amount of resin that was there. The colas were coated in resin, and so was the popcorn! The other big benefit of cmh is spectrum. All of the bulbs are high cri which is much easier to work under.

So the other thing worth noting is the test results. I had 2 c99 and tangerine kush lab tested. All plants tested over 18% thc. Tangerine kush was tested under 750w DE hps previously and came in at 17.77% thc with 1.20% terps. Under 700w DE cmh tangerine kush tested at 18.23% and 1.30% terps.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
I ran mine in a tent that was 2.6×4.75ft. It was overkill as I ran the 630w DE bulb at 700w. Heat wasn't an issue at all. I run a single 6 inch hyper fan with a carbon filter for ventilation, and tent temps stayed 72-78° i haven't ran a single end 315 bulb so coverage on that isn't a question I can answer. What I can say is the penetration and par output on the 630w is equivalent to what I was getting with a 1000w DE hps dimmed to 750w.

The last grow with c99 I had to move the girls from the 2x4 tent to my 5x9 tent due to c99 deciding to overgrow my 2x4. So the 4 c99 finished bloom in a 5x5 area with the 630w at 700w. Bud density on the colas was phenomenal for a sativa dominant strain. Mid canopy was dense as well. Lower popcorn was fluffy, but that's normal. What wasn't normal was the amount of resin that was there. The colas were coated in resin, and so was the popcorn! The other big benefit of cmh is spectrum. All of the bulbs are high cri which is much easier to work under.

So the other thing worth noting is the test results. I had 2 c99 and tangerine kush lab tested. All plants tested over 18% thc. Tangerine kush was tested under 750w DE hps previously and came in at 17.77% thc with 1.20% terps. Under 700w DE cmh tangerine kush tested at 18.23% and 1.30% terps.

thank frozen... i bought a 315 today, air cooled hood, with removable glass, ballast can be removed and placed outside the tent- ballast has '2' year warr. bought off ebay 191 bucks- should arrive next week...

the reason i went with a 315 is i like the idea of '2' hoods if i need to go 630w ... i'm thinking maybe a bit better lighting area ... no hotspot, tho reading reviews of the 630 it seems guys have not had a problem with hotspotting... i'll update when i receive it and get it up n running... thanks for your help/comments:tiphat::tiphat:

No problem. There isn't 1 "right" way to grow. That's the fun part of the hobby. It is also the part that causes headaches. Dialing everything in can be quite the adventure. I'm in the middle of dialing in running a low pressure aeroponics table, and I'm having a ball with that. Did you get a fan with a speed controller, and how do you plan on setting up your ventilation?

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
hey... i didnt get an inline fan...yet..- the outside temp yesterday was in the mid 50's, and my grow area was mid 70's... i am thinking as the winter comes, the temps will be even a bit lower...

at the mom i have a small room fan blowing into the tent from the side vent, and have the above temps... i keep 2 of the upper vents open, and if need be i will put in an inline vent , bring in outdoor 'cool-winter' air... as u say its an adventure... at the mom i have the plants under the 8bulb 4ft fluor's for 24hrs, and they are doing ok... i'll transplant the ladies from the cups next week into maybe 1 gall pots, or maybe into 3gallon.. not sure yet... peace

P-NUT

Veteran
I just got the new sun system 1 de ballasts and they can do 660 and ive got the air cooled de hoods from sun system. Im thinking about the 630 cmh in these hood. Anybody tried this? Andbody used the sun system 1 de ballast with them?

gh0stm0de

Sun sustem de 1 do not run 945w CMH but should not be an issue for 630w CMH.

Please share your experiences with the AC DE hood. I have only tried offbrand AC DE hoods. They are of wildly varying quality and Suns seems better.

Last edited:

P-NUT

Veteran
I will let you know how they do. Im building out a room right now so itll be a few weeks before I get everything ready.

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
I would go with the philips lamps in those growers choice fixtures for safety reasons/double jacketed.

Growers choice mogul ended 315's are double jacketed as well. You don't need a blast tube for those. Those are some beautiful lamps.