What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

decarboxylation using citrus?

nepalnt21

FRRRRRResh!
Veteran
what a great thing! ive also been reading up on carboxylases. perhaps fully decarb thc without starting to degrade it into cbn? sounds great!

Reactions: Gry

Satyros

I was wondering if anyone had tried something like this.

In cooking, it's called Ceviche', and fairly common in South America. Mostly used on seafood with lemon or lime juice, in which case the citric acid breaks down some of the protein, making the meat soft. Cooks it with no heat applied.

Interesting to see that it is viable for cannabis.

GoneP

In cooking, it's called Ceviche', and fairly common in South America. Mostly used on seafood with lemon or lime juice, in which case the citric acid breaks down some of the protein, making the meat soft. Cooks it with no heat applied.

Yes! it's basically the same process going on it seems, very interesting post OP!

Gonna have to try this method one of these days.

shithawk420

Veteran
I was gonna say it's the same thing as ceviche and think it would be cool to try! I ran across that same video a while ago thinking the same as the OP.great minds think alike!

Badfishy1

I go to a local Peruvian restaurant just for their ceviche... damn too bad it's 7 in the morning

H

hard rain

I have a recipe in an asian cookbook by Rick Stein that involves very finely sliced beef soaked in lime juice. The lime juice basically "cooks" the meat. I haven't personally tried but a friend of mine has.

There is a cannabis extract process that uses citric acid, that also decarbs. I have tried it and actually just remembered I still have some in the fridge!I read about it in a thread here. I will try and put up the link if I can find it.
EDIT: Gry post #4 has the link to the method I tried. Here it is again.
https://cannapedia.me/Citric+Acid+Extraction

Last edited:
  • Love

Gry

Neat as can be to see others use this, it is easy as can be, super effective... and yes indeed it is exactly the same
process that is used to "cold cook" the traditional dish called Ceviche. As has been noted by others, it can be modified
to be used with other things as well.
One of the things I enjoyed using it for was cannabis infused drinks.
This process is so easy, so versatile, so effective and viable.
Can never thank and credit Badkittysmiles enough,
for her decision to have shared this with us.

Last edited:

@peace

Neat as can be to see others use this, it is easy as can be, super effective... and yes indeed it is exactly the same
process that is used to "cold cook" the traditional dish called Ceviche. As has been noted by others, it can be modified
Thank you for re-sharing this. A note on the recipe, if people use water as a liquid, the recipe calls for 3tsp citric acid and 2 tsp water. I found that I needed 4 tsp of citric acid to make it break down properly for hash.

Chi13

ICMag Donor

I tried the Badkittysmiles method a while ago and left it in the far reaches of my fridge. Kept forgetting about it until the point where I wasn't game to try it in case it had gone off.

Anyway thanks for the bump in the thread. Going to try this again today. I find I don't like edibles in either butter or oil as the sativa high I enjoy seems to more lethargic. Hoping that other methods might be better. I know it's possible as I've had commercial oils made of blue dream that has retained the characteristic high.

I have been a recent convert to CBD oils, and also juicing raw cannabis whenever I have enough. The more I discover about the benefits of this plant the angrier I get about prohibition.