What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

TO ALL COLORADO RESIDENTS?

EastCoast710

so.. when weed went legal there.. what did you do to ensure you stayed in business.. lol

I'm starting to get into edibles big time as I know that's always huge..

but I'm wondering.. WHATS THE NEXT STEP if I want to remain relevant in a LEGAL state :thank you:

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You mean if your state is legal and the underground flourishes?

Having quality product is A-1 along with slightly under $$ than dispensaries.....and what people want..

EastCoast710

na I ment. .like what should I be doing to get into the legal market.. lol.

I already have a few recipes for edibles that come out amazing.. so I might just start making a bunch of different kinds of edibles to get my foot in the door.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Find out statutes to start with....or attorney specializing in Colorado cannabis products.

Good luck.

Muleskinner

Veteran
you'll have to pay the money for whatever license you need. In Mass. there will be cultivator, distributor, and retail licenses, you can buy from 1-3 depending on what your business will do. Not sure where an edible producer fits in. Not sure if you'd need a retailer or cultivator license or both.

Lawyers are going to make a lot of money helping people with all this. The laws that are passing are heavily restricted and businesspeople are going to spend a lot more on compliance costs versus other industries. Sadly. We have to keep working for the way it should be - rent a stall at the local farm market and sell your flowers direct to consumers next to the other farmers and bakers.

EastCoast710

you'll have to pay the money for whatever license you need. In Mass. there will be cultivator, distributor, and retail licenses, you can buy from 1-3 depending on what your business will do. Not sure where an edible producer fits in. Not sure if you'd need a retailer or cultivator license or both.

Lawyers are going to make a lot of money helping people with all this. The laws that are passing are heavily restricted and businesspeople are going to spend a lot more on compliance costs versus other industries. Sadly. We have to keep working for the way it should be - rent a stall at the local farm market and sell your flowers direct to consumers next to the other farmers and bakers.

good thing my two partners are actual LAWYERS.. :).. I just ment like wat was the best option.. flowers.. oil.. or edibles.. I'm thinking edibles is the best bet for me atleast.

HarvestMoon303

good thing my two partners are actual LAWYERS.. :).. I just ment like wat was the best option.. flowers.. oil.. or edibles.. I'm thinking edibles is the best bet for me atleast.

Hard to say. The rec requirement for testing, the repeatability of doses, the limit on a maximum dose and the packaging requirements really shook up the edible industry. Even Cheeba Chews were basically illegal in their old form/packaging. They took quite a few months to get back into the game with a changed product (that is now really awful with regard to potency).

Blue Kudu seems to do well, and I had one of their Cherry/Chocolate 100MG bars a while ago. It was pretty tasty, and there was plenty of thc in it. I'm guessing that almost any edible maker is just using hash oil, so sourcing that for cheap becomes a priority. The concentrate makers using flammable solvents would have a hell of a time getting insurance. Seems like the dispos were selling a lot of CO2-extracted oils/waxes for a while, but they seem to have gone back to mostly butane, with a little "Live Rosin". It would be an interesting trip, for sure.

Muleskinner

Veteran
EC - have you checked out MJ Policy Group? they have some great market research data for free - information on which types of edibles are selling out west, prices, percentage of total sales, etc. Good luck w/ your business.

http://mjpolicygroup.com

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
EC - have you checked out MJ Policy Group? they have some great market research data for free - information on which types of edibles are selling out west, prices, percentage of total sales, etc. Good luck w/ your business.

http://mjpolicygroup.com

Great idea.
So few are allowed to promote edibles- the market is tight. Stringent rules, and keeping edibles a constant %....difficult, but worth a shot.
Too, warehouse, clean kitchen, application licensure fees...it all adds up.

na I ment. .like what should I be doing to get into the legal market.. lol.

I already have a few recipes for edibles that come out amazing.. so I might just start making a bunch of different kinds of edibles to get my foot in the door.

Bro go with what you are good at. I think there will always be a place for tasty edibles and good price on return for you.

The grey market here seems to set the tone. A few cats are making that fire rosin and bubble hash, and going for like 60 a gram right now.

Also thc acetate medibles are getting real popular.

You have a good product it will sell.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
Transdermal patches and lotions for aches and pains are coming on. There are a lot of food safety regulations that make it hard to make edibles. Flowers are less of a market share and dabs are going up.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
At the very least, in Ma. you will need an inspected/approved commercial kitchen, HACCP plans and at least one POC (Person in Charge) with a ServSafe food safety certificate to make edibles.
These are basic requirements of any food business in Ma. and most other states, I'm sure.
Depending on the nature of your edibles, if any are temperature sensitive they may even require you to get a refrigerated vehicle to make deliveries.

My experience has been that you will also need to be inspected and licensed by the local Board of Health in your town. This is done annually. They inspect your kitchen, the temps in coolers/etc. and general cleanliness/practices and requirements such as the use of gloves, water temperatures at the taps, hairnets etc. etc. etc.. This is a scheduled inspection. They can and probably will also conduct surprise inspections.

Wholesale is a different animal.
In one of my businesses I had the state performing inspections because I was distributing foods wholesale. The local BOH did the inspections for local retail and the state did inspections for wholesale. They look for the same things as the local inspectors but will also make sure your paperwork, such as your HACCP plan, temp monitoring etc. is up to date. This was always a surprise inspection and can be a grueling affair. I've had them hang out and watch everyone work, looking for potential food handling hazards and unapproved practices.

If you are working across state lines you will need to involve the FDA. Not any fun.

Last edited:

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
I'm pretty sure Ma. has a "manufacturers " license also.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lawyer up, license up, get compliant in every way, plan a 5 year run time with expenses for employees and location overhead as well as all other expenses
stay on top of all the developments and changes happening at the regulatory levels, find out who are advocates for your states industry, and find out who are the enemies.
in your state what branch of govt is overseeing the cannabis industry? figure out how it works and who is running that ship
be prepared for bureaucracy from hell

then it's all about quality and marketing

Latest posts

Latest posts