What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Do you reuse coco?

O

Oti$

Yup, usually, with a nice long flush, i dont even have to rise it. Get as much rootball out as possible....an enzyme helps break down whats left...canazyme and the like are expensive. A good alternative is pond enzyme, usually can be found on line cheap and concentrated. Reused coco can get pretty fine after a few uses, so i usually cut it with clay pebbles or chunky perlite for drainage and aeration...or i mix it half and half with new coco. Do a slurry test to make sure the ec isnt super high, and if you use a bloom booster, rinsing it thoroughly is a good idea to make sure its all out. Good luck.

Granger2

Veteran
I flush well at the end of a crop, so the coco needs to be recharged for the next crop with Ca, Mg, other trace mins. You can top dress with Gypsum and water it in with Earth Juice Microblast solution. Also inoculate with Great White or similar or top dress with 1/2" of EWC. I don't remove any root. I simply dig the hole I need for the transplant. Then I use the same as above for the first watering. Make it easy on yourself. It works great. I've use coco80%/perlite20% 4 times before replacement. Good luck. -granger

Mr.DMC72

I have a bunch of coco from past runs that I held on to, planning on reusing, any particular procedure before re-potting?

Ottoman

Color me gone
Veteran
for a guy who is extremely frugal I have been wasteful all these years. I am one and done with my coco. Been saving up recent rootballs tho to try and use in some vegetable gardens. So far just rootball sitting in the garage.

Recently reused coco for the first time. Flush well and like others have said, using an enzyme to break down old roots. So far everything is great! Have some clones/soon to be mothers in reused coco and they are doing fantastic!

I have not yet tried reusing, but since i am currently using only 1 gal pots, i have plenty of spare, fresh coco on hand.

I would imagine that washing the coco well after harvest would be sufficient to reuse. I may try this.

Hookah79

Recently reused coco for the first time. Flush well and like others have said, using an enzyme to break down old roots. So far everything is great! Have some clones/soon to be mothers in reused coco and they are doing fantastic!

How long does it take for the ezymes to break down the roots?.I just used some pond enzymes from petco like 4 days ago and i am not noticing any changes.

soundman

I haven't tried yet. I grow in slightly short loaded three gallon pots. After removing root ball there would be hardly any coco left.

Hookah79

I am thinking if you can make a screener out off boards and 1/2 inch galvanized screen,you'd be able to shake coco thru it with roots still left in the tray.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I too am tired lugging bags around. Actually I'm scared of neighbors of grow site seeing me carrying bags. So when I pulled my last plant, I ripped trunk out of three gallon pot and left most of root in pot. I didn't use any enzyme (should have read this thread first). Placed clone in hole, put two new handfulls of fox farm salamander soil to replace what ripped off with trunk, then top dressed with FF Happy Frog bat guano and Dr. Earth root zone. We'll see how it goes(grows).

Garyoutlaw

Seems everyone loves the renewable aspect of coco but it seem that I get fungus gnats every time I use my recycled - could have been an odd chance but I won't use it in the Summer

H

Huckster79

Yea i put mine in a cloth grow pot put it in utility sink and hose the piss out of it.

I had fungus gnats but used mosquito dunks n took care of it fast! I tried putting some crumble of it in mefium no luck. But i then just put a chunch of a mosquito dunk in my watering container and refill em as soon as i use the water, that way the dunk can soak a bit, knocked those fuckers out fast

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Do NOT re-use coco! I've just wasted 6 months (almost two full grows) doing it. The first full grow was a disaster, the bud tasted disgusting and the THC was almost non existant... Stupidly I re-used it again and got about a month in and chopped the lot...
Bought two fresh bags and started again and they are growing rapidly, I will never re-use coco ever again.
For the sake of £20 it's not worth it, just buy new bags and save yourself a nightmare!

In 3 gallon airpots, I have them so root bound they need 2 feeds a day in flower. What I dispose of is solid root mass. Not worth time trying to recover.

If you re-used, did you boil it to kill off anything living, and leach nutrients. Do you test runoff for PH and EC/PPM?