What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

PH meters

pashi2004

Hello , I have got 2 identical ph meters which I have calibrated in 7.0 calibration fluid however when I take a res reading they give different results varying by several points , as you can imagine this is causing me a few problems, any ideas why this is ? and can anyone reccomend a good quality ph meter which wont cost the earth ? thanks

RB56

Veteran
At least one is toast. I've tried a few cheap meters and didn't think any were any good. Bluelab makes a good one. Had it for a while now. A little more expensive but good quality.

I suggest having a liquid ph test kit on hand. Good cheap fallback insurance.

RoadRash

Hello , I have got 2 identical ph meters which I have calibrated in 7.0 calibration fluid however when I take a res reading they give different results varying by several points , as you can imagine this is causing me a few problems, any ideas why this is ? and can anyone reccomend a good quality ph meter which wont cost the earth ? thanks

is it one of those round ones ?

I had a round one that used calibration fluid.

The guy at the grow store that helped out used a Hanna. Which seem to be expensive.

If you use a clean jar & take a sample into a grow store ... they might help you out.

gmanwho

Veteran
nutrdip tri-meter

nutrdip tri-meter

Nutradip Trimeter is the best meter i have came across in my time. EVERY PH PEN i have ever owned has given me inconsistent results....

nutradip trimeter !!! longest one i had lasted 7 years.Other then the PH probe, which could last 4 months to a year and a half.

b-safe

Meison

Hanna HI98130 best meter I have had so far. Barely needs calibration, reads ph ppm and ec. Also temp and adjust the ph accordingly to the temp. Great meter around 80-100bucks on ebay

I just had the same problem. My plants were showing obvious high PH signs and I had been calibrating with the 7 so I was getting frustrated. I pulled out my back up pen and calibrated it. Now both pens were dialled in for 7... but when I compared against a res sample, there was a .6 difference.

I went and bought some GH drops and decided to test sample some well water and some filtered water against the drops... one of my pens seemed accurate... so I went with that one... after two weeks, that meter was reading way too low... room looked like it was flushing in week 5...

I use to use the drops for everything... had way less problems. I just don't like using a colour indicator for my results when my res is dark coloured. It was much easier to get a match when I used a very transparent base like from Advanced with the drops.

I agree... the Nutradip Trimeter was the best unit I ever had but it was a pain in the ass moving around... I have two rooms at opposite ends of the house and then a greenhouse at the back of the property... I'd rather have a couple of pens,,,, but not if I'm going to be chasing my tail all the time with inaccurate readings. Over the last 20 years, I haven't had a pen that didn't screw me over eventually. If you are juggling issues like having to supplement well water when your filters go down etc and a meter that is only accurate at 7... by the time you isolate the problems, you wasted your best grow period and destroyed your confidence in your ability to read problems.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
420giveaway
My Blue Lab just crapped out after about 4 years. I've been happy with it. Both 4 and 7 calibration liquids are required for accurate results. Pen before that was an HM PH-200 which worked OK but only lasted a 1 1/2 - 2 years tops.

MJINC

You have to maintain the pens. Keep the probe clean after every use and make sure the cap always has a few drops of storage solution. Calibrate them with both the ph 7 and ph 4 once every three to four weeks depending on how much you use it.

Shovelhandle

My Bluelab threw bad numbers before it died and caused me fits. I suggest having the 4.5 -8.5 pH strips to check a meter regularly. They are cheap and easy to use. Myself, I don't need a meter really as I grow organic and I just check the well water and my feed solution occasionally as it stays pretty constant.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
You have to maintain the pens. Keep the probe clean after every use and make sure the cap always has a few drops of storage solution. Calibrate them with both the ph 7 and ph 4 once every three to four weeks depending on how much you use it.

I only used 7 test solution with cheap yellow and black PH pen made in China. Had to keep adjusting it. The batteries were dying and giving false readings. Was off by 1.5 PH, by time I realized it. That is why you need both 4 and 7 test solution. I still only use the cheap yellow and black ones. Have 5, but only using 2. One primary, and one for if I doubt the other one.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
420giveaway
My latest purchase, an HM PH-200 which I've had positive experience with before is a piece of junk. Used it for one grow cycle (3 1/2 months) and it never seemed right. Never held calibration for more than a couple days, cap didnt fit properly, one of the buttons got a little funky . I dont think Ill be buying any of their products in the future.

packratt

My latest purchase, an HM PH-200 which I've had positive experience with before is a piece of junk. Used it for one grow cycle (3 1/2 months) and it never seemed right. Never held calibration for more than a couple days, cap didnt fit properly, one of the buttons got a little funky . I dont think Ill be buying any of their products in the future.

I'll second that. Worst piece of junk I ever bought. You really do get what you pay for I guess.
Because I don't trust it any more, I almost always calibrate before using it every time now.
Best I ever had was Nutradip Trimeter .

MagniKhan

Veteran

Farm Hero

One year into use of a Bluelab pen and it has been great.

I really like it being fully waterproof. I've lost a few meters over the years at the bottom of 55 gallon poly drums. I also like that the Bluelab pen only requires a few drops of probe storage fluid rather than a whole cap full. I like the big top ring, great for holding the meter while testing and handy for hanging it upright to keep the probe moist during storage. Auto shutoff is a welcome feature as well, i've had a few that weren't.

Lemmiss

I have no experience with these PH-pens(just bought my first though), but from work I have experience with probes, using the same technique costing over 1000$ each. And I must say they seem as lousy as these here you describe.

If they ever are allowed to dry once they never get good again. You can recondition them with buffersolution, but they will never be as accurate as before. Also they generally don't live very long, and need frequent calibrations, we used two who controlled eachother. Anyway. They should always be moist, and these I were handling was always to be stored standing up, maybe something to do with the pens as well?

Andyo

Veteran
ph fluid indicator

ph fluid indicator

goverment arseholes have restricted the concentration of fluid availble to the public.
There is a formula for making it where the colour differential is very good and strong colours
I had 10 ltrs of it in the uk
ADAS in wye kent UK made it years ago
the problem making it is weighing accuracy to 0.001 needed for it to show correct colours
so idealy you would need make 20 ltrs plus.

formulae =
PhenolPthalein 0.4 g
Methyl red 0.8 g
Methyl orange 1.2 g
Bromomethyl blue 1.6g
Thymol blue 2.0 g

disolved in 1 litre ethanol
1ltr water

disolve in methanol first
then add 1 litre distiled water warming the water to 50 c helps.A

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
Truth be told all ph meters suck n will fuk you eventually, when it comes to ec ppm meters the truncheon pen is indestructible but there is zero ph pen in that class... Drops are by far the best for consistency, they will never let ya down but the best way to avoid dealing with ph meters is to know your water n ur nutes n stick to what works, if sumthin is tellin you u need to add double the ph down then u normally use or u need ph up n u never needed it , ya gotta trust the mix not the meter, I got a combo meter in my rez all times , when ever it says ph is off it really means time to replace the probe, fukin useless gadget...