What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Homemade Cal-Mag

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
I've read about that, I can't get it where I live :(

My theory is prevention and preparation, ie a well composted mix containing adequate compost/humus and dolomite lime.

I'll keep looking for the water, sounds like an excellent foliar.

Ulysses

Mineral Water? Brilliant!!!

A few selections from my local grocery:

Smart Water: Potassium Bicarbonate, Calcium Chloride, Magnesium Chloride in unknown concentrations per liter.

Appollinaris: 6% Magnesium, 5% Sodium per liter.

S. Pellegrino: 4% Calcium, 1% Sodium per liter.

Another thing I found is a tomato blossom rot cure: Bonide Rot Stop 1.6% Calcium...

Is any of this stuff in concentrations enough to have an effect on a plant? At $2-3 per liter is it a feasible curative measure? What is the calmag concentration on your average East coast tap water???

8bitNES

guineapig, Sanfaustino... awesome. One of the best "home remedies" I've heard yet. How much do you end up using/gal.? Is there any reason not to use it in a hydro setup?

8bit

guineapig

Veteran
The main drawback with using SanFaustino water in a hydro set-up would be the cost.....its just not affordable to use this water on a large scale......however, as a foliar spray or a small closet situation, it is really an amazing plant tonic especially if you are experiencing Calcium and/or Magnesium defieciencies or lockout.....

SanFaustino is absolutely concentrated enough to help your plants......however, if you wanted a more concentrated Cal/Mag product, the other option is to go to your local health food store and find the most "bio-available" form of Calcium/Magnesium supplements and dissolve them in your water.......make sure they are well dissolved and if possible use Reverse-Osmosis water or Spring Water as a base.....

Glad you all are interested in the search for a more effective Cal/Mg product......

:ying: kind regards from guineapig :ying:

Magnesium problems are usually a result of pH problems.
Just sayin'.

Botanicare cal/mag is like 15$ish a bottle. I use it as a foliar spray.

Update:

when I diluted the 500 ml. to 1000ml. with R/O water, it read 420...

Started over with a full 1000ml of R/o water @ 7.0, added 1 gram epson salts and got a reading of 450 TDS.
Ph was below 5.

a gram of epsom salt is tiny! - like a bump.
I don't have any measuring spoons.

Latest posts

Latest posts