What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My DIY LED grow light

vukman

Veteran
Hello Everyone:

My deepest apologies for my prolonged absence but........our fucked up Canadian government has announced that starting April 1, 2014, the medical Cannabis laws are getting re-written and all production will be handed over to 'big business'.!!!!!!!!!!!!

How fucked is that?? I mean every other government welcomes cannabis due to it being a tax gift like mana from heaven and our stupid idiotic 'powers that be' are going to take it away from individual small growers and medical patients and place it into the hands of, more than likely big pharma and big tobacco.

So with that said, I've been working like an animal as much as I can,, for 'my people' and the people that they know because I am a trusted person and setting up shops all over the place!!!.. It's so nice to know how to run wires and set up panels and transformers!!! LOL... Making more now than I have in years!!! ahahah

Anyway... I managed to harvest today.. (Saturday) and will post the images here.

I do not know how long this working onslaught will last but I have to take it while it's here and as long as the knees allow me to also.

Thank you to the ones who PM'ed and asked if all is well.. I appreciate that more than you know... I hope everyone had a great Christmas and New Years Eve as well......

Will post again when I have the time and when I'm not too tired as well..

Thank you all again...

Vukman

********NOTE THE LIGHTER FOR SIZE COMPARISON**********
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last image is showing root 'ball' if you want to call it that. When I was digging out the stalks, the roots were solidly meshed and intertwined all the way to the bottom.....

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Damn, those look great! Keep some topical oil handy for those knees - it'll help get you through.

BLOCKER999

hey vukman, can you give me any idea how hot/noisy the helios run?, i considering getting 3 of the 420w models, thankyou

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thoughts for Future Panel Diode Layout

Thoughts for Future Panel Diode Layout

Great result!

Next Panel. There's always a next panel, right?

IMHO, here's an idea worth considering

Merkaba is said to be Sacred Geometry. It looks like 2 equilateral triangles one overlaying the other but turned 180*s, making a 6 pointed star.

Similar to the pattern you have, but yours is elongated. However that energy might be further enhanced if the outside edge leds made a large Merkaba then repeat smaller Merkabas within

Some number crunching would be needed to balance it all out- how many smaller fit evenly inside the larger...

Desert Hydro

Veteran
those look great. good luck with all the law nonsense. they are doing something here where you arent allowed to grow if you live within a 25 mile radius of dispensary. how fucked up is that???? its ridiculous that now we can no longer be self sufficient and grow our own. they want to control EVERYTHING.

bright ideas

Hey there everyone I have been lurking on this thread (a very nice one, thanks to all). As a medical user, I am looking to put together a hydro/LED room myself out of Home Depot type stuff. One of the things I spend alot of time thinking about is practicality. If (when) you have a bad connection due to stress or a bad (solder) joint, it sure would be nice if the offending connection would let us know. You know, the way Xmas lights strung in parallel have just the bad light out? I realize all the extra wiring is a bitch, but wouldn't it be worth it?

PS if you see any of my posts in the future, put a mental stick on it saying "Am I missing something?" kuz I usually am.

Sidebar: we know what wavelengths a plant absorbs because we can pulverize the plant and use hexane and then alcohol to remove the pigments. We can then use paper or thin layer chromatography to isolate which photosynthetic pigments we are talking about. Next, we can take a different sample from the same plant and use other methods to determine what proportions these pigments exist in within the plant. We already know what wavelengths each pigment likes (any organic chemistry text will tell you this). The main issue is that any species, nay any strain will be much different. Therefore, it almost makes sense to have a bank where every LED is switchable, then you have to dial in the very expensive power supply so it knows what it is pushing, that is AFTER you run some tests on your clones to see what the hell they want.

Seems like an awful lot of work. Am I missing something?

Oregonism

Hey there everyone I have been lurking on this thread (a very nice one, thanks to all). As a medical user, I am looking to put together a hydro/LED room myself out of Home Depot type stuff. One of the things I spend alot of time thinking about is practicality. If (when) you have a bad connection due to stress or a bad (solder) joint, it sure would be nice if the offending connection would let us know. You know, the way Xmas lights strung in parallel have just the bad light out? I realize all the extra wiring is a bitch, but wouldn't it be worth it?

PS if you see any of my posts in the future, put a mental stick on it saying "Am I missing something?" kuz I usually am.

Sidebar: we know what wavelengths a plant absorbs because we can pulverize the plant and use hexane and then alcohol to remove the pigments. We can then use paper or thin layer chromatography to isolate which photosynthetic pigments we are talking about. Next, we can take a different sample from the same plant and use other methods to determine what proportions these pigments exist in within the plant. We already know what wavelengths each pigment likes (any organic chemistry text will tell you this). The main issue is that any species, nay any strain will be much different. Therefore, it almost makes sense to have a bank where every LED is switchable, then you have to dial in the very expensive power supply so it knows what it is pushing, that is AFTER you run some tests on your clones to see what the hell they want.

Seems like an awful lot of work. Am I missing something?

It's just expensive at the moment:
http://growershouse.com/radiant-grow-systems-l4a-led-grow-light

bright ideas

Wow. That's an understatement. I think I will make something a little more on the simple side. It will be my first effort, so I know I won't get it right, just right enough is fine by me.

B