What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mosaic virus taking over the seed market

little-soldier

Before i tell you a little about my experience i want you to read the following link. Its about a farmer who will have to spend millions decontaminating because all/most seeds (that supposebly goes through a testing regime)had the mosaic virus. And still after all those millions they will spend trying to eradicate the virus, they are not guaranteed Success. We are talking about a virus that can live 50 years in dried plant matter,survives the harshest winters and summers. They can even live on your walls with no host. Once contaminated the virus is everywhere, on your hands,in the water, soil, roots,tools, etc.
Heres the link

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-02/eradication-of-cgmmv-to-cost-millions/8318826?pfmredir=sm

little-soldier

If you thought the BORG was a real issue think again. At least u can kill the borg. Where the mosaic virus cannot be killed, they can only be deactivated even after using bleach,milk,boiling it at 200f. and can still be reactivated given the right conditions.
I decided to start from seeds because it seems everytime you start from clones bought from someone else, your almost guaranteed to get something with it even if its not showing up at the cloning stage. The seeds germinated successfully and it wasnt untill 2 weeks later that i started to notice tiny yellow dots on some of the leaves. It looked a bit like spider mites dots but they were yellow. I inspected them all anyways just to make sure it wasnt the borg and it wasnt. So i thought maybe a calcium issue even though ive seen those kind of difficiencies a million times before and it didnt look similar. Added cal/mag and eventually the plants got bigger all showing more freckled yellow spots, leaf twisting, two toned leafs, yellowing veins, leaf malformation and thats when i looked it up on the internet. As soon as i saw pictures of the mosaic virus i knew thats what i had.looked up the symptoms and i had them all. Did alot of research over the past weeks And found out why they all got infected.. the waters runoff from watering the seedlings in their trays. Plus the seedlings leafs touching and of course me touching the plants. Its possible that only a few seeds were infected in the first place but i made this virus the perfect conditions to multiply and infect everyone of them

little-soldier

As i was reading more and more about the darn virus i found other threads with peoples seeds infected with the virus and my guess is we will see this more and more at an alarming rate over the next few years. It wouldnt surprise me if melevant people would purposely infect seed makers crops to bring them down especially now that its getting legal and big investors are in it.

HazyBulldog

Has anybody tested positive for mosaic virus......in cannabis..... ever?

Simple answer, tissue culture propagation.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
You can always try to infect other strains, which may be more resistant, but otherwise it's not really easy to get virus testing done, at least for viruses known to have an effect on hemp, such as
hemp streak
alfalfa mosaic
hemp mosaic
cucumber mosaic
arabis mosaic
hemp leaf chlorosis
tomato ringspot
hemp mottle
tobacco streak
dwarfing tobacco ringspot
eunoymous ringspot

little-soldier

OMG guys seriously?? You all think this is a myth. Theres tons of information on the internet with pictures all over and yes cannabis plants too. They have something called the hemp mosaic virus, i guess someone made that one up too. Or maybe you think hemp is a myth. Come on if hemp can get it then why not cannabis.

Medfinder

Chemon 91
I am not saying myth...

usta work a nursery and some viruses were intentional like variegated viruses..
Variegation
Variegation is the appearance of differently coloured zones in the leaves, and sometimes the stems, of plants. Variegated leaves occur rarely in nature...

Easy7

Veteran
My tomato garden was infected by mosaic. From dumping tobacco from a pipe around the plants. Next year they were fine, no more virus. Before, they were infected so badly, the crop was ruined.

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
Ehh it's just bad breeding practices and people are getting mutations

I haven't seen mosaic virus myself, but it could exist in Cannabis, I think Sam the Skunkman mentioned it somewhere, if I remember correctly.

However I mostly agree, 99% of "mosaic virus" is mutations, variegation, or nutrient problems. Old seeds and DJ Short lines are notorious for "mosaic virus", but mutations are definitely the real reasons.

HqFarms

I haven't seen mosaic virus myself, but it could exist in Cannabis, I think Sam the Skunkman mentioned it somewhere, if I remember correctly.

However I mostly agree, 99% of "mosaic virus" is mutations, variegation, or nutrient problems. Old seeds and DJ Short lines are notorious for "mosaic virus", but mutations are definitely the real reasons.

That's my point. Too many people see symptoms like variegated leaves and automatically think MV but it's really just a mutation. MV is real but not as common as people think/mention

Easy7

Veteran
Keep tobacco and bud from other growers away from your grow. Best to wash hands before entering the garden. Never seen mosiac in cannabis but brought home a nasty rust from a wheat field.

In tomato mosiac looked like blight. Spots formed on fruits that didn't look good. I think stems can also be infected. A good winter freeze fixed it. I doubt seeds would be very viable to spread. It usually affects tobacco fields in warmer reagions.

OMG guys seriously?? You all think this is a myth. Theres tons of information on the internet with pictures all over and yes cannabis plants too. They have something called the hemp mosaic virus, i guess someone made that one up too. Or maybe you think hemp is a myth. Come on if hemp can get it then why not cannabis.

Snake oil salesmen have prepared commen sense stoners from idioinfo!

FrostyNugget

Mosaic?

Mosaic?

Based on the pictures I've found around the net, the symptoms seem to point this on two of my plants, or rather, sections of those plants. Most of the plant is perfect, but this occurs in the top center of one (just over basketball-sized sphere) and left center of the other (just smaller than a 10-pin bowling ball sized sphere).

I'd been trying to identify this for over a week and this thread pointed me to the only similar pictures I could find. I have no other symptoms besides the random coloring changes (no bugs, no mold, no puckers, nothing shiny, nothing wet, no holes, no eggs). All but those two sphere's, it's perfect and seems to be growing fine.

Does this look like the mosaic virus you're talking about (possibly tobacco mosaic virus?)? There is one other plant in the tent with no symptoms (completely different strain). If it's not mosaic, I'm not worried (I'll figure out what it is or it will grow out of it).

(first post, longtime guest lurker)

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
Based on the pictures I've found around the net, the symptoms seem to point this on two of my plants, or rather, sections of those plants. Most of the plant is perfect, but this occurs in the top center of one (just over basketball-sized sphere) and left center of the other (just smaller than a 10-pin bowling ball sized sphere).

I'd been trying to identify this for over a week and this thread pointed me to the only similar pictures I could find. I have no other symptoms besides the random coloring changes (no bugs, no mold, no puckers, nothing shiny, nothing wet, no holes, no eggs). All but those two sphere's, it's perfect and seems to be growing fine.

Does this look like the mosaic virus you're talking about (possibly tobacco mosaic virus?)? There is one other plant in the tent with no symptoms (completely different strain). If it's not mosaic, I'm not worried (I'll figure out what it is or it will grow out of it).

(first post, longtime guest lurker)

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=72722&pictureid=1732330&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=72722&pictureid=1732331&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=72722&pictureid=1732333&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=72722&pictureid=1732332&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

Nope, just variegated and twisted leaves from what I see. Is the plant actually sick, or do the leaves just look different? Definitely not mosaic virus, just some type of mutation. Blueberry and its hybrids have that look often enough, and they still grow fine. That surely looks genetic not virus based.

FrostyNugget

What strain is this showing on?

Both of them are clones of Nirvana's Full Moon (now apparently discontinued). Their mother is just now finishing flowering (her top 10" of leaves went purple). She didn't show any anomalies, but she was grown from seed so didn't have the stress of cloning either.

I could see it being genetics, not knowing why it was discontinued and everything else about both plants being right on target. I didn't see any puckering (though the darker green appears a little thicker at 120x), nor any other symtoms, just the variegation.

I appreciate the second set of eyes on it.

little-soldier

thats deffinatly the mosaic virus i see on those pictures your showing Frosty
Best way to know is to use a razor blade and cut a leaf stem on the infected plant and use that same blade to cut an unifected plant.

Latest posts

Latest posts