What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

‘I Like Marijuana’ singer David Peel suffers heart attack

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Anti-establishment rock ’n’ roller David Peel suffered a massive heart attack and is in critical condition, a friend told The Post.
Peel, 73, was stricken Friday and was recovering Saturday at Manhattan Veterans Hospital, where he is “resting up for a bypass,” friend John Penley said.
With his band, David Peel & the Lower East Side, he was known for the 1968 hippie anthem “I Like Marijuana.”
Peel — who was close friends with Beatle John Lennon — launched his music career in the late 1960s, strumming songs such as “Die Yuppie Scum” in Washington Square Park.
He was discovered by Lennon and signed by Apple Music to record the album “The Pope Smokes Dope.”
“A radical cat,” said Penley,
“[Peel] was like the Woody Guthrie” of the downtown protest community,” he said. “Even the cops loved it!”  
http://nypost.com/2017/04/02/i-like-marijuana-singer-david-peel-suffers-heart-attack/

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I think that the majority of members here might not have been around when David Peel was topping the charts in the US, so many might not have heard of him.

At his time of fame I was under 10 years old myself, but have vaguely heard of him and his music, and it's always sad when someone you have known of and loved is stricken with an illness or ailment such as a heart attack. Regardless I wish him well, and hope he makes a good recovery.

Latest posts

Latest posts