What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Trudeau: I Want to Legalize Weed, but They Won’t Let Me

EL ROBUSTO

Although President Obama has not given any official indication, a leading official with the U.S. State Department seems confident that prohibition may become unhinged at some point in 2016 and lead to the possible decriminalization of all illegal drugs across the globe.

On Tuesday, William Brownfield, Assistant Secretary of State for the Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs, told reporters that U.S. officials are currently at the drawing board in an attempt to draft an all-powerful piece of documentation — what he calls a “pragmatic reform agenda” — that they intend to present at the upcoming United Nations General Assembly Special Session (UNGASS) on drugs next month in New York City.

Read the entire article here:

http://mashable.com/2016/03/10/us-government-drug-decriminalization/#we4l8yBcjmql

One of our friends on another site shared this.I thought I would pass it along.

So what exactly does this mean (prohibition may become unhinged at some point in 2016 and lead to the possible decriminalization of all illegal drugs across the globe) hmmmmmm.
By this time next year I'll be able to go to the grow house to the left of me the meth house/lab to the right of me, and here I am stuck in the middle again wondering what all that equipment is the new people across the street are moving in???
I think we're going to have to write a new song!!!!!

Jhhnn

Veteran
to get al the gullible pot smokers to vote for him what else?

Which meant, at the time, that all of the well indoctrinated non-smokers voted against him. From your description of what happened, I suspect that they far outnumbered users.

I don't think your explanation makes sense.

Tynehead Tom

420giveaway
no, what doesn't make sense is a guy from Denver trolling a guy who actually lives in Canada LOL
my friend, I don't need to explain anything to anyone. Just pay attention to what's going on and come to your own conclusions. If they differ from mine, great, diversity is what life is all about.
But this man, calls a spade a spade and the lieberal party outright lied to Canadians to win an election, plain and simple. believe it or not, I guess I really don't care LOL

phazer

ya i must say this is typical politics they run for office promising one thing, and once elected they make excuses why it cant happen, or in the US presidency they do exactly the opposite. as if they had no idea of these road blocks existed, please. and these treaties are from 30+ years ago. coming out saying im gonna legalize cannabis is pretty ballzy itself, youd probly have to piss some people off and break some rules for it to happen

OGEvilgenius

Veteran
So what exactly does this mean (prohibition may become unhinged at some point in 2016 and lead to the possible decriminalization of all illegal drugs across the globe) hmmmmmm.
By this time next year I'll be able to go to the grow house to the left of me the meth house/lab to the right of me, and here I am stuck in the middle again wondering what all that equipment is the new people across the street are moving in???
I think we're going to have to write a new song!!!!!

It means they really really want to eliminate cash in society. Banks depend on drug money to stay solvent. Eliminate the cartels through legalization and drug money is no longer a problem.

Not a coincidence you're seeing these two issues come up at the same time.

Don't accept it if it means no more cash... no more cash means no more freedom at all.

OGEvilgenius

Veteran
so you admit that the Jews have a claim to the land. not to ALL of it, in that i am with you. but the Jewish people were themselves driven out, much as European settlers displaced the indian tribes on this continent. how many years ago is beside the point as far as i am concerned. very good, we have made a start...

I'm not sure it's reasonable to try to go back and undo every injustice in history, while simultaneously creating more injustices along the way. Seems like it would be a never ending cycle.

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
just don't confuse actual history with propaganda... something quite common with the same old crypto-nazis running free in the forums.

but what else is new here?

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"call a spade a spade"

Move down south, my ignorant friend. There's little room in Canada for your tripe or thinly veiled ignorance.

You didn't perhaps try to claim your ballcap as religious headgear recently, eh?

What kind of nitwit thinks cannabis supporters are a voting bloc? Even given the number of estimated pot smokers, deducting many as a result of apathy, you're looking at no more than a few hundred thousand. Not exactly the makings of an election win.

Your assumptions are poorly made, Jhhnn is simply pointing out the obvious.

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
How come Colombia was able to legalize the cultivation of 20 cannabis plants for either medical or recreational use with virtually no bureaucratic bullshit involved, all this done super fast and efficiently and yet Canada, a country that has more experience with medical cannabis and famous world wide for supposedly being a country full of intelligent and capable people can't legalize because the U.N?

Did you see how Uruguay did not even pay 1 second of attention to any U.N non-sense?

and yet Canada can't...

and you guys believe that?

seriously?

Jhhnn

Veteran
no, what doesn't make sense is a guy from Denver trolling a guy who actually lives in Canada LOL
my friend, I don't need to explain anything to anyone. Just pay attention to what's going on and come to your own conclusions. If they differ from mine, great, diversity is what life is all about.
But this man, calls a spade a spade and the lieberal party outright lied to Canadians to win an election, plain and simple. believe it or not, I guess I really don't care LOL

It's true that opinions only need to make sense when you're trying to convince others that they do.

I hope that Trudeau is sincere wrt legalization. It's clearly a more difficult proposition in a legislative setting than the way we accomplished it in CO in 2012. Even here we weren't ready for it in 2003, the last year Chretien was PM in Canada.

Jhhnn

Veteran
How come Colombia was able to legalize the cultivation of 20 cannabis plants for either medical or recreational use with virtually no bureaucratic bullshit involved, all this done super fast and efficiently and yet Canada, a country that has more experience with medical cannabis and famous world wide for supposedly being a country full of intelligent and capable people can't legalize because the U.N?

Did you see how Uruguay did not even pay 1 second of attention to any U.N non-sense?

and yet Canada can't...

seriously?

A lot of it seems to be the way it is because of the Obama Admin's departure from past policy. The US has always been the 600lb gorilla in the drug war so it's unsurprising that others would act minus that threat.

Back when Chretien was PM the Bush Admin threatened to break his balls off if Canada legalized. That's obviously not happening today.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran

and yet Canada can't...

seriously?

Some states have more freedom to act independently/against the grain. Latin America much more so than Canada.

For a new government trying to rebuild reputation and presence on the international stage, unilateraly breaking treaties and flipping the bird to the UN don't rate highly.

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
A lot of it seems to be the way it is because of the Obama Admin's departure from past policy. The US has always been the 600lb gorilla in the drug war so it's unsurprising that others would act minus that threat.

Back when Chretien was PM the Bush Admin threatened to break his balls off if Canada legalized. That's obviously not happening today.

Wait, so if the problem is the U.S, why is Trudeau blaming the U.N?

You seem like you are always campaigning for Obama though...

The thread is about Trudeau blaming the U.N for him not being able to legalize.

Then I argue why can't Canada do it if Colombia and Uruguay can, and your answer is: Because Obama...

I rest my case.

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
Some states have more freedom to act independently/against the grain. Latin America much more so than Canada.

For a new government trying to rebuild reputation and presence on the international stage, unilateraly breaking treaties and flipping the bird to the UN don't rate highly.

Quite the opposite actually; look at how U.S, Russia, England and France pay no attention to the U.N whenever they want...

Why do you think the Colombian Army has not obliterated the leftist guerrillas? who do you think is protecting the "human rights" of these murderers that need to go if the world is to move forwards.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The US funds the UN and can do as they please. Look no further than the head of human rights. Russia has always been a bear.

France and the UK are more comparable, more so the UK. Brexit, if it comes about, isn't something that will happen arbitrarily as a whim, but will take much discussion and mountains of bureaucratic paper.

One small step for the UK, one giant leap backwards for mankind.

Besides the point.

We're a bit more conservative by-the-bookish. No level of government here operates without commisioning numerous studies, inevitably followed by another study to bring it all together, public meetings, with miles of red tape at every turn. The larger the issue, the more ridiculous and convoluted the process to tackle it. Good luck if it's something that takes more than 4 years or whatever election cycle to implement.

It's how we do.

If they do keep their promise, it'll be a treat to watch the political gymnastics required to get there.

St. Phatty

"Although we are the government, we have no control over the government" ?!

Looks like Trudeau is just more window dressing.

Jhhnn

Veteran
Wait, so if the problem is the U.S, why is Trudeau blaming the U.N?

You seem like you are always campaigning for Obama though...

The thread is about Trudeau blaming the U.N for him not being able to legalize.

Then I argue why can't Canada do it if Colombia and Uruguay can, and your answer is: Because Obama...

I rest my case.

You have to read the linked article rather carefully to understand that Trudeau hasn't invoked the UN boogeyman at all. The closest thing to it is this-

Internationally, says a briefing note prepared for the prime minister, Canada will also have to find a way to essentially tell the world how it plans to conform to its treaty obligations.

An interpretation of a briefing note from somebody somewhere prepared for Trudeau & a headline designed to convince the reader he said something he didn't.

As Mikell points out, the UN treaties exist because the US has used carrots & sticks to keep it that way. That's clearly not the case today. With no official objections from their southern neighbor & best friend Canada can do what they want.

I figure he knows a lot more about the inner workings of Canada than I ever will so I'll defer to his judgment about how this might unfold.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Your opinion is always welcome, and I personally enjoy your comments on a variety of subjects, Jhhnn.

Much better than crass premature judgements from small minds, that's for sure.

No one knows what the future holds, but I'd bet it'll be a boobishly slow process.

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
Internationally, says a briefing note prepared for the prime minister, Canada will also have to find a way to essentially tell the world how it plans to conform to its treaty obligations.

That refers explicitly to the U.N treaty...

Why do you want to say otherwise baffles me...

Hopefully is as Mikel says and the reason why Canada can't do as Colombia or Uruguay in relation to U.N treaty is because of complex Canadian bureocracy...
You have to read the linked article rather carefully to understand that Trudeau hasn't invoked the UN boogeyman at all. The closest thing to it is this-

An interpretation of a briefing note from somebody somewhere prepared for Trudeau & a headline designed to convince the reader he said something he didn't.