What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Trudeau: I Want to Legalize Weed, but They Won’t Let Me

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Justin Trudeau, the Liberal prime minister who won this past October's elections in Canada against the Conservative Stephen Harper, who was seeking a third term, ran in part on a promise to legalize marijuana and said he was going to "get started on that right away," signaling a departure from the Harper administration's anti-pot stance.

Now Trudeau has said his efforts have hit a snag—international treaties. They were, uh, there during the election campaign, even if they were left unmentioned by the candidate himself.

The Canadian Press reported:
The Liberal government will have to do substantial work on the international stage before it can follow through on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's promise to legalize marijuana, new documents suggest.
That work will have to include figuring out how Canada would comply with three international treaties to which the country is a party, all of which criminalize the possession and production of marijuana.
Trudeau's plan to legalize, regulate and restrict access to marijuana is already proving a complicated and controversial undertaking on the domestic front, in part because it requires working with the provinces.
Internationally, says a briefing note prepared for the prime minister, Canada will also have to find a way to essentially tell the world how it plans to conform to its treaty obligations.
The treaties—the Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs and (because, hey, what's in a name, two more) the Convention on Psychotropic Substances and the United Nations Convention against Illicit Traffic in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances—date back to the '60s, '70s and '80s.
Canada made a reservation to the second treaty, about permitting the use of peyote for magical or religious rites by "small, clearly determined groups," mimicking a U.S. one.
A similar argument came up in the United States a couple of years ago when some critics of marijuana legalization in Colorado and Washington insisted these international treaties required the federal government to prevent legalization, a spurious argument Jacob Sullum, senior editor at Reason.com, demolished:
Under our federalist system…states have no obligation to punish every activity that Congress chooses to treat as a crime.
The Supreme Court has said, based on a dubious reading of the power to regulate interstate commerce, that the federal government may continue to enforce its own ban on marijuana in states that take a different approach. But that does not mean the feds can compel states to help, let alone force them to enact their own bans.…
Even if treaties could override federalism, the agreements [critics cite] do not purport to do so. The 1961 Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs says compliance is subject to "constitutional limitations" and undertaken with "due regard to [signatories'] constitutional, legal and administrative systems." The 1971 Convention on Psychotropic Substances and the 1988 Convention Against Illicit Traffic in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances contain similar provisions.
The federalist approach taken in the United States by advocates of marijuana legalization has brought or is bringing recreational marijuana into the legal market in four states plus Washington, D.C., and allowed a plethora of local jurisdictions to do the same. It also allowed states to try more restrictive than legal, but no longer totally prohibitionist, approaches, like legalizing medical marijuana or small amounts of the nonmedical stuff.
In Canada, as The Canadian Press mentioned, Trudeau is facing difficulty with the provinces.
A former Liberal prime minister, Jean Chretien, flirted with a bill to decriminalize marijuana in 2003. It was concern from the United States, not concern about international treaty obligations, that helped kill that effort.
And while marijuana legalization was thought to be driving young people to the polls, unlike in the U.S., the provinces themselves haven't made much of an effort to legalize marijuana.
They have a different constitutional structure in Canada. Maybe Trudeau can ask permission from the queen? He can tell her because it's 2016—that's why.
http://www.newsweek.com/justin-trudeau-legal-weed-marijuana-canada-415384

Tynehead Tom

420giveaway
the meat of this is that Justin and all his liberal Mps that lied to get elected, KNEW FULL WELL in advance of opening their yaps to buy votes , that their (the liberal party's) commitment to dog heeling to the UN would be a stumbling block.
They lied, plain and simple.
far as I'm concerned we should be demanding a new election pronto.

This bullshit being spouted by Trudeau and the liberal government is slowly getting more and more on my nerves. It seems as though they're gonna keep pushing it back further and further, and then when they can't get it done in his first 4 years, he's gonna run with the same plan again for his next 4 years, and again if elected not get anything accomplished on this front.

The minute Bill Blair got put on the head of the task force I had a feeling this whole plan was going to be fucked up. People are still being arrested, and neither Blair, nor Trudeau give a rats ass about it, even though they say they supposedly are for it, and believe it has very little negative impact. He urgently needs to get his shit together.

In all honesty though, what are the consequences if he breaks off from the treaties and basically flips off the UN and says we know it's not this demon drug everyone says it is. That is something he really could do, but I highly doubt he'll ever consider. I just wish they had put Jodie Emery on the head of the legalization task force, she at least cares for the people, and has more than enough experience with people in the culture, and knows exactly what Canadians want.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Unfortunately, the world is manipulated by the controllers.

People confuse them with government, which is nothing more than puppets on a string. Alas, the way to change is not through voting

Jhhnn

Veteran
the meat of this is that Justin and all his liberal Mps that lied to get elected, KNEW FULL WELL in advance of opening their yaps to buy votes , that their (the liberal party's) commitment to dog heeling to the UN would be a stumbling block.
They lied, plain and simple.
far as I'm concerned we should be demanding a new election pronto.

It's a big leap from "perhaps more difficult than they said" to "they lied".

The Liberals have been in power for a scant 4 months so maybe copping a shitty attitude is a bit premature.

Tynehead Tom

420giveaway
I'm a 46 year old Canadian with my eyes WIDE open, a medical user and have been growing for almost 1/2 my life, the last few years protected by health Canada. I have a very solid grasp on the situation and the history or the liberal government and in particular the trudeau's.
go ahead and stick your head in the sand, the liberals are and always have been completely dishonest with Canadians.
bill Blair is a bad seed, just ask the law abiding/licenced Canadian gun owners how fairly they were dealt with by Blair. he's been put on this profile for a reason and YES you absolutely will see more arrests and stronger penalties before we ever see marijuana legalized for corporate gain.

it not copping a shitty attitude my friend, it's call expressing a heavy dose of reality.
I am sorry iof that offends you. I did NOT and never will vote for a member of Canada's liberal party.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

Veteran
I'm a 46 year old Canadian with my eyes WIDE open, a medical user and have been growing for almost 1/2 my life, the last few years protected by health Canada. I have a very solid grasp on the situation and the history or the liberal government and in particular the trudeau's.
go ahead and stick your head in the sand, the liberals are and always have been completely dishonest with Canadians.
bill Blair is a bad seed, just ask the law abiding/licenced Canadian gun owners how fairly they were dealt with by Blair. he's been put on this profile for a reason and YES you absolutely will see more arrests and stronger penalties before we ever see marijuana legalized for corporate gain.

it not copping a shitty attitude my friend, it's call expressing a heavy dose of reality.
I am sorry iof that offends you. I did NOT and never will vote for a member of Canada's liberal party.

So... wait a sec... not only will the Liberals fail to deliver on legalization but they'll crack down & create heavier penalties... Really? How did you reach that conclusion?

Tynehead Tom

420giveaway
So... wait a sec... not only will the Liberals fail to deliver on legalization but they'll crack down & create heavier penalties... Really? How did you reach that conclusion?

from paying attention my entire life.
Bill Blair is a "Doberman pincer" , I am very familiar with how this man operates. A government, "honestly" engaged in moving legalization forward, does not put a man like Bill Blair in charge of the profile.
do your own research on who this man is. get back to me when you have. then we can have a solid discussion.

The liberals used the pot smokers to win this election, plain and simple. Giving everyone this fantasy idea that weed would be legal to grow and source both recreationally and medically. And of course, now they cite conflicts with international treaties and delays in fulfilling their election promise. Those international treaties exhisted long before lil turdo even broke puberty so how can he now come and blame delays on those treaties? The liberal party knew going in that those treaties exhisted yet they still promised legalization in their election promises, which was the tipping point to a majority government.

marijuana should have been a legal substance as of December 2015, April 2016 at the latest. Good honest dope smoking Canadians will still be getting arrested, raided, charged and lives ruined over a plant this government promised to legalize.

it is shameful.

mack 10

Veteran
Well Washington, Denver and Oregan didn't care about these treaties.
Just bs.

One thing you can rely on is politians going back on their word.

EsterEssence

Veteran
America needs to end the treaty crap, they were put into effect by a bunch of politicians, they can certainty rermove them...

OGEvilgenius

Veteran
Who cares about some bullshit treaty? Grow some balls. Many countries (some smaller than ours) manage to violate these various treaties all the time and get away with it.

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
In the end it got him enough votes to be the man. The old adage is, "Don't tell em what they need to hear, tell em what they want to hear."

Jhhnn

Veteran
We heard all the same stuff about treaties in the run-up to the 2012 election. It's a form of concern trolling where the speaker pretends to be on our side as they try to convince everybody else there are good reasons to deny us what we want. Online politics is full of it.

Limeygreen

Veteran
I believe there is a meeting with the UN in April where Mexico will be bringing up these international treaties and why they do not want to be part of them anymore, Let's see if Trudeau will follow suit.

I have more hope in he petitions that are going forward and will be brought to the house of commons, we just need to be loud and have our MP's do the bitching for us on what we want, the more we complain through the red tape about what we want, the louder we are the more likely they are to listen and have others jump on the bandwagon.

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
b656347cdfbe9882c08ff625.jpg

armedoldhippy

Veteran
no red tape involved. you just tell the ineffectual UN to go suck a root...what are they going to do? the US pays their damn bills...

Latest posts

Latest posts