What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Reggae Star Busted With 350 Pounds of Pot in NYC...

RetroGrow

Veteran
Read the comments below the story. Looks like some members here were commenting, including a Joe Rogan "alias", or maybe it's him. First article I've seen where they didn't exaggerate the value of the herb. One guy commented that 300 pounds was only one blunt for a Jamaican:)

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/NYC-Traffic-Stop-300-Pounds-of-Pot-129926013.html

A routine traffic stop led police to a 300-pound stash of marijuana in the Bronx.

Detectives noticed a strong odor of marijuana coming from a car they stopped on Wednesday afternoon. Police say there were two bags containing about 25 pounds of marijuana in the trunk.

The driver, 66-year-old Denroy Morgan, a Jamaican reggae artist from Springfield, Mass., was arrested.

But that wasn't all. Further investigation led to a house nearby on Taylor Avenue.

Police arrested a man seen leaving the house. They say 46-year-old Wayne Swavy of Mount Vernon, N.Y. had 16 pounds of pot in his car.

But the big find was inside the house. Police say they found 300 pounds of marijuana there, which could be worth anywhere from $120,000 to $300,000 depending on quality.

Defense attorney information wasn't immediately available.

Morgan created the Black Eagles reggae band in New York City in 1974. The peak of his career came a decade later when he signed with RCA Records.

He had one hit song: "I'll Do Anything for You."

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
traffic stops are so dangerous....the smallest thing like a license plate light being out can lead to your whole operation gettin raided..

Bionic

Cautiously Optimistic
Veteran
That's a few blocks away from where I grew up! LOL! Since I'm familiar with the terrain, I'm gonna go ahead and say it was some straight schwag. I'm sure more than half that weight is seeds and stems. Rarely, if ever, was it better than that.

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
Even if you don't drive someone driving to you can get busted and flip. It's a dangerous world we live in.

Schwag doesn't have the strong smell the police were describing no?

cjk

Even if you don't drive someone driving to you can get busted and flip. It's a dangerous world we live in.

shwag or not, 25 pounds is gonna reek...

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
25 pound of the shittiest weed in the universe will still have "a strong odor of marijuana."

sucks about this guy getting busted, now he will spend the rest of his life in prison. for harmless plants that naturally grow out of the ground on the planet we all 'woke up on one day' really retarded that people just sit back and let a few people dictate their lives to them when none of us are any more powerful or knowledgeable than the other when it comes to who we are and what we're doing.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Doubt if it was schwag. These reggae dudes know their herb.
It was probably smuggled from Jamaica though.
I used to play that game, long ago.
What's surprising is the cops didn't exaggerate the value a hundred fold as they usually do.

RetroGrow

Veteran
They said $100,000-$300,000.
But since when did the cops stop exaggerating the value of the herb, and since when did they start grading it?

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
The guy driving the car was one dumb SOB. The article said he was stopped for running a stop sign( stupid move #2 ), and for not wearing his seat belt(stupid move #1). How incredibly stoooppid do you have to be to run a stop sign with 25 lbs of weed. This guy is proof that some people are a waste of air. I'm sorry but I don't have much sympathy for stupidity. You are only supposed to break one law at a time. The weed was his one.

RetroGrow

Veteran
That's a few blocks away from where I grew up! LOL! Since I'm familiar with the terrain, I'm gonna go ahead and say it was some straight schwag. I'm sure more than half that weight is seeds and stems. Rarely, if ever, was it better than that.

I went to high school in the Bronx....rough neighborhood.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
The guy driving the car was one dumb SOB. The article said he was stopped for running a stop sign( stupid move #2 ), and for not wearing his seat belt(stupid move #1). How incredibly stoooppid do you have to be to run a stop sign with 25 lbs of weed. This guy is proof that some people are a waste of air. I'm sorry but I don't have much sympathy for stupidity. You are only supposed to break one law at a time. The weed was his one.

Hell yeah. Check all lights etc and no moving violations. So easy a kid could do it.

LiLWaynE

I Feel Good
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thats hllarious that they said it was a "Random stop"....

my fucking ASS... fucking pigs saw the dreads and the rasta caps and people driving slow as fuck out of the driveway and did the fuckin math!

this fucking country disgusts me

...i seriously looked this dudes song up and had it playing in the background as i read this thread... fucking fucked up and funny at the same time....... god damn am i stoned right now!

cant fucking believe marjiuana is still listed as a schedule 1 drug in this country..........fucking joke.....

this dude prob sold 300lbs a fucking day! theyill get out of jail with some money to spend! perhaps theyll hire a good lawyer with the cash they hopefully have stashed properly...

meduser180056

Wow that sucks these guys came thru humboldt sometimes morgan heritage or something like that. cool band. Guy that got popped is like the grandpa of the family. They were pretty cool people from what I remember my buddy sat in playing the nyabhingi with em at a show.