What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Caution when using "Hot Shot No-Pest Strips."

holystomata

They don't work for me on spider mites. I've used up to 4x the dose recommended on the package for my cubic footage but at most it knocks them down and at least they don't seem to thrive. but it doesn't kill them. What i have noticed is since I have a sealed room it works to keep them from webbing up the place but once I turn on a vent fan and the concentration drops the little jerks can explode and trash the place in a few days.

DJXX

Veteran
perfect results with them here...my buddy has a sealed room and had webbing all over the lowers and the strips knocked em dead...put them in there for three days and haven't seen them in two years...some people above say they don't work anymore...i jus hope like cockroaches they don't evolve and get immune to our remedies...good luck ..they sukkkk for sure...well i hate any critters..dj

DJXX

Veteran
Do these things do anything for whiteflies. ...
stoney its the best lil secret on here...they should work on the whiteflies...only ten bucks too see...my buddy also had the pecker gnats in his coco and he used to use the sticky sheets for them...when they resolved the borg they got rid of the gnats also...good luck..dj

Just adding my 2c. I use them in rotation with other treatments like azamax, spinosad, etc. I usually leave them in my sealed room for 48 hours at a time. Mites build resistance when left in continuously... Please stop breeding supermites!

I store them in a Ziploc when not in use. They lose effectiveness after about 2weeks use outside the bag, then I add another one...

My understanding is diclorvos (forgot the spelling) has a half life of 6 hours. Can be highly dangerous when in use but dissipates and breaks down quickly.

1week into flower is where I draw the line, won't use them after that.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Went to look for one of these and seen hot shot no pest strip 2. is that the same thing? I wanna use it for a day or two to clean out my grow shed...

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
Went to look for one of these and seen hot shot no pest strip 2. is that the same thing? I wanna use it for a day or two to clean out my grow shed...

I just got rid of the borg using the 2.0 version.

Thips are another story tho.

It deffo works 100%.

Been about 3 months since any sign of mites.

Wow. Started this thread so long ago. Glad it's still helping peeps.

Hey Hades. You certainly stirred up some arguments!

But yes, I get your initial point; Use 'No pest strips' according to instructions, & judiciously to avoid creating resistance.

When I got an infestation from a gifted clone, I wasn't aware of this product.
Neem oil was good at control but didn't wipe them out.
After what I thought was a thorough clean of my grow room, they came back the next year.
A really thorough clean of everything in the grow room & drenching my girls with pyrethrum in veg eventually did the trick.

Dichorvos strips would've saved me much time & effort.

That experience taught me one thing in particular; prevention!
Any gifted clones will be quarantined from now on.
Always thoroughly clean the tent & every piece of equipment with 10% bleach/water or vinegar & baking soda, at the end of my grow 'season'.
And never to enter my grow room in clothes that I've worn outside.
If I drew fresh air from an outside source, I'd be sure to use something like a stocking to eliminate any access for pests.

Not sure what I hate more, using chemicals on my girls or fucking spider mites, haha.

chronosync

Well-stoned member
atmosperic half-life

atmosperic half-life

Based upon the vapor pressure, dichlorvos is expected to exist almost entirely in the vapor phase in ambient air. Dichlorvos is expected to react in the gas phase with hydroxyl radicals, nitrate radicals and ozone, with the hydroxyl radical reaction dominating as a removal process based on literature data for simple organophosphorus compounds. Because of the estimated rate constant for dichlorvos reaction with hydroxyl radicals, the atmospheric half-life is estimated to be 1 day (Kwok and Atkinson, 1995).

Granger2

Veteran
Based upon the vapor pressure, dichlorvos is expected to exist almost entirely in the vapor phase in ambient air. Dichlorvos is expected to react in the gas phase with hydroxyl radicals, nitrate radicals and ozone, with the hydroxyl radical reaction dominating as a removal process based on literature data for simple organophosphorus compounds. Because of the estimated rate constant for dichlorvos reaction with hydroxyl radicals, the atmospheric half-life is estimated to be 1 day (Kwok and Atkinson, 1995).
Even if your figuring is correct, they are releasing continuously. And Half-life means 1/2 of it is still there at the end of the half life period. -granger

chronosync

Well-stoned member
I should have also included the source in the post. I get your point and i agree. I guess it is a matter of perspective and context. Like LD50. At what point does one decide how much is too much? Is it worth it? Choosing the lesser of two evils, some may not choose evil at all.

Who's everyone voting for this election?

SICE

I should have also included the source in the post. I get your point and i agree. I guess it is a matter of perspective and context. Like LD50. At what point does one decide how much is too much? Is it worth it? Choosing the lesser of two evils, some may not choose evil at all.

Who's everyone voting for this election?

Trump

Ive killed plants in a bag with a hot strip

seems harmful enough to kill something living.

in an emergency early in veg but still semi evil

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
I put two of um in a 5x5 tent and sealed it up for 2 days and them mites STILL comin. Guess I got super mites, hit um with twice three days apart with mighty wash, then three days later floramite, then three days later floramite again, they still alive. think i might have to use gasoline and uh match on these mothasuckas...

chronosync

Well-stoned member
Damn! Super mites thats super horrible. Seriously after all that.....they must be hiding somewhere really good. I really hope their resistance isnt that good already.....what will we do if our stuff doesnt work anymore? Floramite? Thats the big guns right?

Geeze sorry to hear about your struggle. Im up for round 2 of Me vs. Mites. The strips worked for me great. But they did come back, 3-4 months later. I have to admit i probably brought them back into the grow room myself. We have animals and i have been less than perfect with my clean standards. It seems that hyper-vigilance is the only cure.

Gry

Less toxic options are available. I wish I had been much less trusting of things like this. Cancer changed my perspective.