What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best 1000w Digital Ballast ??

N

Neptune

We got this thread pretty much worked out for the 600w digitals, but I am also curious now about the 1000s, and I am sure there are others...!

So, who owns a 1000w digital, what brand, model, warranty, bulbs it works with, and all other relevant information including RF interference!!

Most notably, I am looking to buy a Lumatek 240v 1000w digital (blue) ballast.
They are ~$400.00 from HIDHUT.

Let's hear it!

paq

well for the price of one 1000w digital why not spend the extra and get two 600s, they have been out longer and alot more tests have been done with them.

T

THCV

i buy from BG all the time. i talk to them a lot. they haven't found a reliable 1000W digi to sell, and they sell Lumateks in 600/400. So, that says to me, the shit ain't ready for primetime. I'll stick with my 7 1000W magnetic ballasts which have never had any problems, until 1000W digis have been out there for a while. For now, they seem stupidly expensive with no benefit i can see, unless for some reason the weight of the ballast matters to you.

that said, i am eager to hear about ANY experience with a 1000W digi. Clearly they will dominate one day in the future, and after that we'll all switch over to LEDs! But for now, 70 year old mag ballast technology seems to be very well proven.

emkman

theres also 750w digis at BG and other places, they are 240v only but seems ur cool with that.
btw I have a 400w lumatek grey old style and a 600w lumatek hydrofarm blue style and love them both, but never seen any digis bigger than 600 personally

Last edited:
N

Neptune

Paq, we are all well aware oh the greatness of 600w ballasts... but that isn't the point of this thread...! Some folks DO use 1000s over 600s, there are reasons... so I was more curious as to what those folks think of the current 1000s.

by BG do you mean BGH?

G

Yeah...BGH

I like buying the latest and greatest stuff and picked up a few 600 digi Lumatek's when they were still pretty unproven. I know that's what you want but even I'd stay away from a 1000 digi at this point and go with a coil unit if I needed a 1000. I've heard mixed reviews about HIDHUT's stuff so cautious.

I've used 1000's and they're awesome but I stick with 600's now.

N

Neptune

The thing is, I have good application for 1000w systems right now, I want the penetration and reliable thick, long buds. the problem is that I don't want to deal with magnetic ballasts ever again. I own 5 600w magnetic ballsts, and they are so damn loud, heavy, and inefficient. I have to change my bulbs every 2 grows, becuase there is enough noticeable lumen loss.

So, even if the Lumatek digital 1000w is not any better than the magnetic, even if they re about equal in light output.. I am still a happy customer with the low weight, and silent operation.

Troubble is, I can't find anyone with a 1000w digital to talk to :(

G

Many people are afraid of digi ballast because it hasn't been out long... but seriously guys enough is enough. Digi ballasts have been out for a bit now and have been improved on, plus you get a 5 year warranty, and in that time it will MORE than pay for itself. I don't have a 1000 digi, but you can't go wrong with the warranty, and for the person that said he sees no benefits... just a question... do you own a digi ballast?

suicidetree said:
Many people are afraid of digi ballast because it hasn't been out long... but seriously guys enough is enough. Digi ballasts have been out for a bit now and have been improved on, plus you get a 5 year warranty, and in that time it will MORE than pay for itself. I don't have a 1000 digi, but you can't go wrong with the warranty, and for the person that said he sees no benefits... just a question... do you own a digi ballast?

The warranties on digi-ballasts SUCK. It is hideous compared to a mag ballast. I have yet to see a 5 year warranty that was not prorated or some devious shit.

Nobody ever talks about what happens if a digi-ballast gets dropped or nudged. Electronics do not like sudden vibrations and these suckers are expensive.

The Galaxy digi ballest have a 5 year warranty and prorate it after 3 years.I have two 400 watt ballest and I'am very happy with them.The ballest run cool .I can hold it in my hands after it been on for 12 or 18 hours .the soft start up helps the blub life too.Two 600 watt lights has more lumems and less elec to run.The two 400 watt light I run are in a small spaces,so it's heat and space problem or I be running 600 watts.Galaxy is come out with a new 1000 watter soon.We will see if it can stand up to it's claims.Only time will tell. Peace

G

ThereIsHope said:
Nobody ever talks about what happens if a digi-ballast gets dropped or nudged. Electronics do not like sudden vibrations and these suckers are expensive.

lol... dude who throws around their ballast? Obviously those things need to be in a secure place as to not be a hazard. Plus digi ballast are sleek, small and very portable compared to a big clunky magnetic, IMO it would be easier to drop and break a mag than a digi. Any ballast you drop could possibly get damaged...

As far as them being expensive... they are if you go out and buy one for the hell of it... but if you NEED another ballast its not that much more. I spent about $50.00 more for a digi than magnetic, and I would have paid a lot more...

suicidetree said:
lol... dude who throws around their ballast? Obviously those things need to be in a secure place as to not be a hazard. Plus digi ballast are sleek, small and very portable compared to a big clunky magnetic, IMO it would be easier to drop and break a mag than a digi. Any ballast you drop could possibly get damaged...

As far as them being expensive... they are if you go out and buy one for the hell of it... but if you NEED another ballast its not that much more. I spent about $50.00 more for a digi than magnetic, and I would have paid a lot more...

A magnetic ballast can be used to damn near break open rocks. They are almost near nuclear proof. You really don't need to throw around a ballast.

Just try breaking down a grow room because the police may be arriving soon and lets see how well a digital ballast can withstand the pounding. I know if I drop my CD player a few times the thing skips and eventually will say screw you.

If the digital ballast manufacturers offered an UNCONDITIONAL (and not prorated) 5 year warranty, I might be ready to accept the fact the manufacturers at least expect the digital ballasts to be as sound as the magnetic ballasts.

The manufacturers do not give me the feeling they are secure with their digital products by offering CONDITIONAL warranties. This tells me the manufacturer is not as confident in this digital product versus the magnetic ballasts' 5 year unconditional warranty.

I have even seen 8 year unconditional warranties on magnetic ballasts. That tells me the manufacturer really believes in his product to last.

If I am going to spend $300 or so on a ballast, I want to bitch to last and do not want hassles on warranties if the ballast takes a shit on me.

WhoAmI?

I spoke with the guy at GTG hydroponics (http://www.gtghydroponics.com/) in regards to the Future Brite 1000w digital ballasts (available in 120/240v) and he informed me that there were two drawbacks to that specific product, 1. He couldn't get any MH bulbs to fire up (hence the HPS only notice on the website) and 2. Very rarely, he had to replace a fuse. Besides that, he insisted that the Future Brite digital 1ks are the most reliable on the market and that he's been more than satisfied. Personally, I have yet to try them out but I plan on running one as a test in the very near future.

G

i bought the future brite 1k before they added the disclaimer about the mh bulbs. of course 1/2 the reason you buy digital over magnetic is that they fire both hps and mh.
i have'nt tried to fire a mh bulb with it yet but will try it and let yall know. from what the guy at GTG told me was some of the 1k will and some won't light a mh bulb, depends on when you bought it. they must have changed em i guess.
they 1 yr warranty does suck but i own tons of expensive electronics that cost more than that ballast did. i've never noticed any interference with the ballast at all.

WhyMe said:
i bought the future brite 1k before they added the disclaimer about the mh bulbs. of course 1/2 the reason you buy digital over magnetic is that they fire both hps and mh.
i have'nt tried to fire a mh bulb with it yet but will try it and let yall know. from what the guy at GTG told me was some of the 1k will and some won't light a mh bulb, depends on when you bought it. they must have changed em i guess.
they 1 yr warranty does suck but i own tons of expensive electronics that cost more than that ballast did. i've never noticed any interference with the ballast at all.

AM radios are the culprits to be affected by my reads for RF interference.

You would need to listen to an AM radio next to your light/ballast system to see if indeed it is a homing beacon for the radio interference police.

I purchased a 1000 watt digitalgreenhouse and it worked for about 4 weeks...
The place i purchased it from doesn't even stock them anymore... go figure.
It did have a 2 year warranty so i was in luck.

Fat Albert

Neptune said:
Troubble is, I can't find anyone with a 1000w digital to talk to :(

Hi Neptune,

I just picked up a blue Lumatek 1000w/240v digi ballast. My problem is that my new 1k Cool Tube does not have the same socket as the ballast. When I figure that out, I can let you know how I like it. The ballast output for the light is 3 round holes, but the Cool Tube cord has two round pins and a flat one.

Cheers!
Fat A :wave:

N

Neptune

Fat Albert, that is Sunlight Supply and Hydrofarms fucking you in the ass.

They have propriatary plugs that only work with their sockets/ballasts/reflectors. But, the good news is you can purchase adaptors that will plug in either cordset, ask your local shop, or check ebay. Also, you can wire them together yourself if you are confident in your skills.

I am eager to hear how you like the blue Lumatek 1000w digital, I am interested in this model, as their 600s are, aparently, hands down the best on the market.

as for the Future Bright, I have not heard anything about this model/company before. interesting claims about the MH, some say it will ignite, others no... ok... (???) I am not too concerned about the warranty, anything over 3 years is damn good. I care mainly about RF interference and Lumen output, do the digital 1000s put out at least as much as magnetic 1000s?

Thanks guys for the good info, keep it flowing.

Latest posts

Latest posts