What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Planting in soil that has an animal buried?

Sunshineinabag

My biggest Apple tree in 2018 was a Fuji planted on top of "road kill Cemetery #1".

There's a dead deer a few feet down. And a raccoon. And a skunk.

4 feet deep - that's deeper than the deer was buried.

HERES A Little tidbit from your friendly icmag arborist! Crab apple trees self pollinate ......reg apple trees do not!

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
I only grow in holes with dead animals in.. full biodynamic lol.

Takes a bit of killing each year granted but the Ragdolls from 34a grew the best plant last year :bigeye:

therevverend

Veteran
One time I thought I'd be the smart guy and plant fish heads in my garden under my plant starts. A few days later they were all dug up and destroyed, ripped to pieces. Someone liked the smell of rotting salmon. Compost that stuff before you plant it.

So I understand your concerns about the rotting carcass. I've buried plenty of dead things in the yard but nothing that big. I agree with the earlier poster who commented that it's buried so deep the plants roots won't reach it. I'd look at it as a long term investment to your soil quality.

For sure it's deep enough you won't have to worry about the plant getting burned. At this point I'd be digging up the rich composted dirt around the carcass (it'll smell terrible) and mixing it with the topsoil. The good stuff should be leeching off of it nicely as it breaks down.

Burying it with a large quantity of organic material, even lawn clippings if that's all you've got, would be useful for the process. Something to fluff up the soil. At 7 months dogs and cats are half broken down, still a lot of fat, fur, and bone which takes a long time to break down. I'd reckon your animal is at a similar stage.