What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Scratching My Way To Harvest....Hopefully.

Former Guest

wow! this is why I need to meet an older man. get rid of these boys my age. getting them just to compliment or take me out is tough enough. all the good ones got snatched up and what's left are the rejects. many are getting divorced right now so I'm still hopeful a good one is still around undamaged. but yeah....instead of a national park it was more like a trailor park :biglaugh:

mowood3479

Veteran
Almost every time i use several pesticides in close proximity..
(A few days)..
I get that wierd leaf growth that ur seeing.
Especially with avid.
Its a last resort imho..
The plants should start growing normally after a few weeks.
(Btw) i personally wouldnt smoke anything thats been treated with avid (at any point in its life cycle..
But thats me.
To each their own.
Good luck

Former Guest

the weird growth was there before I treated with anything and it was only one pesticide, which is a huge last resort and nothing I would ever recommend for treating other pests as described above.

it's made from a soil bacteria and uses solvent to dissolve it. eww I know that's yucky but it is the first thing suggested to combat these type of mites by UC Davis because it has the least harmful effects to humans, mammals, predatory bugs, and other stuff. it's not very harmful if used correctly and the half life is gone which everything I've found has stated only a few days with no residual left over.
http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/24d-captan/abamectin-ext.html

avid isn't a systemic insecticide, it's a contact killer. It may enter the leaf pores, but wont actually enter the system of the plant and move throughout. So as long as you're not soaking your flowers with it, you should be safe. so if I were to take new growth only, how is this an issue?? I would really like to know how this is bad for me but this thread is a log for what I'm doing more or less so I don't want it gunked up with loads of opinions but more learning and knowledge.

is it because it uses a solvent that makes it bad because the organic farmer explained it worked just like beaurveria bassiana, same mode of action, and lots of people think that is okay, even prefer it over the organic version Mycotrol O.

JointOperation

very ballsy bringing outdoor plants into the garden lol.. not the greatest idea.. but good luck lol.. I just put clones of my aloe outside.. keeping my mom indoors.. and then when the moms too big. I take a clone from to replace mom. and put the big mom outside..

right now I have a aloe plant with about 50 clones that could be taken lol . thing is huge.

also have 2 cactus 1 that was 5 inches when I got it.. now it has branches off it that are 40 inches.. and its in a tiny tiny lil pot.. lol.

I have a shelve on my wall I put these plants on.. in my flower room.. it helps a lot.. especially the cactus.. if the humidity in the room rises.. the cactus will suck up that excess humidity.. which is super cool.

Former Guest

I read a few people using aloe in their rooms because it doesn't have very many pests. I washed it with soap and planted in sterile soil. I just kept them out there because the light is so much better. they are so much greener and healthier looking than when they were just a houseplant. I like the fact they soak up RH too. thanks!

I used to grow strawberries in my rooms. I pulled the plants out of our garden and washed the crowns in the soap and put in rockwool (I did hydro starting out) and it really loved it! learned about how to hand pollinate and had some pretty big berries :D

not advisable to do tho I admit.

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
Hard learning curve youre on lady. Sorry to hear about all the pest problems.

2 things I would never put in my grow are dispo clones and outdoor plants. When I think dispo clone, 2 words come to mind notorious and bugs. After spending all the time, energy and money getting your space sterilized bringing an OD plant in is like throwing cash in the trash.

Love the suit, very stylish. I think all the ladies will be wearing them. Unfortunately, that could be true - scary world.

I like the positive spin on past bfs, learning some valuable lessons. All my gfs have taught me is that Im 'a really great guy'. Weve all seen enough movies to know what that means. Except for the last gf - but that's not for polite, mixed company ;)

Former Guest

buying that suit and respirator and driving home was the saddest moment so far of my growing "career" ha. I have gotten a few breaking bad comments because of it. I just wanted to have a second harvest this year by Christmas. that is all. I can't start over with seeds if that was the option and I have no other weed to smoke besides the stuff at the dispensaries. really fucked myself over doing that. I could be in a healthy garden at Christmas instead of having buds that may or may not be chemmy. guess it doesn't matter as all the buds around here are grown with chems apparently.

do you mean that you are the one that got away? they didn't know what they had until it was lost? I had a few of those...

edit: at the time I felt like I couldn't use the seeds because they're so spendy and I have a low success with them. if they even sprout out of the dirt, they dampen off where the dirt meets the stem. it's like throwing away the $220+ I spent on them. I was saving them for when I could actually not literally make them rot. I just got the hang of watering a week or two ago and the clones I have now have mold growing on top of the dirt. I sprayed them with some copper sulphate to cure that. maybe I can pop the animal crookies as testers :D lol

Miraculous Meds

I just diagnosed the bm's on clones received from a friend. I didn't quarantine them like I told myself I would. So now after 2 years of no probs, its time to break out the suit and chems, lol... Shit happens, but I promise myself no more clones till I quarantine them. I personally say that no more outside plants or veggies in with my flowers either.

gl llb, the girls don't look to damaged at all, ur on ur way to happy healthy times!

Former Guest

honestly, these girls looked great for three weeks and were treated with Nuke Em when I brought them home. so these problems arise way after the quarantine period so this is why I am choosing not to do clones now. if this was spider mites or something else, organic all the way. nuke em rocks for spider mites and they don't build up a tolerance.

also, fall is the time of year that they appear, spring as well. they like cooler humid temps so its perfect right now.

I ordered mine online from amazon from a place in SF cali. took a week to get here in WA fyi but you can get it cheap. I have also found a great thread on half lifes and it has some labs in cali who've tested the pesticides and theres some interesting stuff about residuals with plants sprayed half way through flower, however, they are also talking about plants grown outdoors vs indoors and the sun's ability to remove residuals unlike the indoor lamps. I just found it and I'm two pages in and the discussion is rather good with BOTH point given with links so I'm reading my butt off before I go to market today to take dabs and talk to the other growers.

Miraculous Meds

honestly, these girls looked great for three weeks and were treated with Nuke Em when I brought them home. so these problems arise way after the quarantine period so this is why I am choosing not to do clones now. if this was spider mites or something else, organic all the way. nuke em rocks for spider mites and they don't build up a tolerance.

also, fall is the time of year that they appear, spring as well. they like cooler humid temps so its perfect right now.

I ordered mine online from amazon from a place in SF cali. took a week to get here in WA fyi but you can get it cheap. I have also found a great thread on half lifes and it has some labs in cali who've tested the pesticides and theres some interesting stuff about residuals with plants sprayed half way through flower, however, they are also talking about plants grown outdoors vs indoors and the sun's ability to remove residuals unlike the indoor lamps. I just found it and I'm two pages in and the discussion is rather good with BOTH point given with links so I'm reading my butt off before I go to market today to take dabs and talk to the other growers.

Ive already got everything I need. Its got about a 5 year shelf life if stored correctly. I bought the smallest bottles u can get and give it away to friends if needed. More than a lifetime supply but u got to replace it after 5 years for effectiveness. Costs me about 500 to invest in avid, forbid, indicate51, and ppe gear.

I haven't seen the nuke em yet, I will have to check it out. Hope to not need it, but I like to have safer choices if the strong ones can be avoided.

have a good day at the market, what a great place u live in.

Former Guest

i was using the nuke em to kill eggs and maybe larvae of the BM/CM or whatever it is. nuke em has varied results for BM eradication from what I've read. the application rates for BM will fry your plants harshly but the new growth can be used. app rates for spider mites and pm are not as bad and will barely mark them. the 3xs in one night almost fried them completely. I thought I had BM on the last grow but I didn't. I never scoped them and it was an issue with over watering and SNS phytotoxicity. I fried them for no reason :( the avid seems to be much less damage. the spots that I thought were ph marks were probably mite marks from them sucking on the stems because they're puckered now and after the treatments the leaf is getting necrosis but just a smidge.

nuke em is also great for PM if ya got it but since I switched to organics, all my pm issues have gone away so I have a big bottle left :D

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the weird growth was there before I treated with anything and it was only one pesticide, which is a huge last resort and nothing I would ever recommend for treating other pests as described above.

it's made from a soil bacteria and uses solvent to dissolve it. eww I know that's yucky but it is the first thing suggested to combat these type of mites by UC Davis because it has the least harmful effects to humans, mammals, predatory bugs, and other stuff. it's not very harmful if used correctly and the half life is gone which everything I've found has stated only a few days with no residual left over.
http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/24d-captan/abamectin-ext.html

avid isn't a systemic insecticide, it's a contact killer. It may enter the leaf pores, but wont actually enter the system of the plant and move throughout. So as long as you're not soaking your flowers with it, you should be safe. so if I were to take new growth only, how is this an issue?? I would really like to know how this is bad for me but this thread is a log for what I'm doing more or less so I don't want it gunked up with loads of opinions but more learning and knowledge.

is it because it uses a solvent that makes it bad because the organic farmer explained it worked just like beaurveria bassiana, same mode of action, and lots of people think that is okay, even prefer it over the organic version Mycotrol O.

I wouldn't waste time justifying yourself to any organic fanatic, few of them listen to anything outside of the box they live in, and tend to base their beliefs on fear and conjecture, rather than science and experience. The only way you can deal with them is shoot the horse they raise themselves up on and burn the soapbox. Once they're on ground level, a swift kick in the pants solves the problem.

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
I was going for more of a 'nice guys finish last' vibe. But, ya, there is 1 that calls me the one that got away. I broke up with her though.

Do you have decent air circulation around your sprouts? Just enough to make them wiggle is enough to speed drying on the surface of your dirt. Sometimes I would rough up the soil a bit around the stem to help dry it out some.

Former Guest

I got air moving but not a fan directly. Air moves in a circular motion towards it. It was a bit colder too. Now it's 70-75F. :thank you:

Miraculous Meds

I got air moving but not a fan directly. Air moves in a circular motion towards it. It was a bit colder too. Now it's 70-75F. :thank you:

good stuff, never put the fan directly on them. Make sure ur humidity isn't too high and don't overwater to start, just enough to keep them from wilting till they start to grow roots.

mowood3479

Veteran
Huh, i thought i had read avid was a systematic pesticide..
I wasnt knocking ur use of it..
Sorry if it came off that way.
I dont smoke herb that has avid sprayed on it because i have the choice: avid buds<non avid buds..
Just my opinion.
Idk if its harmful to u, when used in veg..
But if i have a full jar of nice non avid.. Ill prob pick that. U know?
I have used it before N if i had to id probably use it again.
Either way..
I have been exposed to a large dose (i stuck my hand in a bucket that the concentrate had spilled into..
I felt ill for days..
Glad to hear u have a suit for spraying..
I need to get one.... But i havent really needed one, spidermites r the worst thing ive dealt with.. Usually pops up once a year.

Former Guest

there's no offense taken, it's drama from another mama......its a bigger thing he is talking about and it is good advice and after reading it, I realized I am trying to justify my actions to a crowd that won't listen and that is okay. I understand their whole side too :D but my thread is Switzerland dang it!

here's a read about the difference and explains systemic pesticides, non systemic, translaminar and how it effects the plant. lus it also gives info on how to tune your environment so the plant will uptake systemic insecticide more efficiently too. I was thinking more like azamax or neem oil though.

http://hyg.ipm.illinois.edu/pastpest/200220e.html

here's where it talks about Avid:
Some insecticides/miticides have translaminar, or local, systemic activity. These materials penetrate leaf tissues and form a reservoir of active ingredient within the leaf. This provides residual activity against certain foliar-feeding insects and mites. Insecticides/miticides with translaminar properties include aba-mectin (Avid), pyriproxyfen (Distance), chlorfenapyr (Pylon), spinosad (Conserve), and acephate (Orthene). In general, these types of materials are active against spider mites and/or leafminers. Because the active ingredient can move through plant tissues (that is, leaves), thorough spray coverage is less critical when using these materials to control spider mites, which normally feed on leaf undersides.

it also says this: Most of the newer systemic insecticides have minimal if any activity on spider mites because spider mites remove plant chlorophyll (green pigment) and don’t feed within the vascular tissues.

which makes me feel as if Azamax which is for mites isn't effective. also, it is the only azadiractin pesticide that isn't neem oil type that says it will kill mites while the others say that it won't. seems fishy; or rather neemy hehe. but I do need to look into it more but a quick google search tells me I'm not the only one who thinks azamax is marketing this for something it can't treat well. :dunno:

Former Guest

so back to logging info:

couple glugs of molasses
2 cups EWC
2 T heaping 2-4-3 maritime mix
4 T guano company super tea
6 oz neptunes fish ferts
brewed 24 hrs

adding 3 oz maxicrop as well as 3 oz Microbe Life Photosynthesis Plus microbes at end of brew before giving to plants. will water tomorrow. just needed to write down as I somehow misplace the notes I'm taking....ugh.

there is a small amount of leaf damage that is exactly what happened to the plants in my contest grow thread and so now I'm even more sure it was the stupid SNS that hurt the leaf. mistakes equal learning. apparently I like it the hard way. the horticultural oil is mineral oil based and labeled for dormant and growing season so it's a bit heavier than normal horti oils. I think this, along with the hot spot in the room by the bulb made this happen. the fingers of the leaves look like someone pinched them and it turns a darker green like something inside got crushed. I can't explain it. maybe i'll bother to take a pic but the contest grow plant was getting a heavy drench and I didn't turn off the lights because it was just a drench and a leaf got in the way of pouring and I dumped some on the leaf which did the same thing.

also forgot to mention, I found some UW Purple that had some bag seed in some of the buds, completely obvious and calyx's about to pop open!! I always thought bag seed was not okay but I see people running bagseed on here. something about more likely to herm? either way, dude let me pick buds with seeds to buy. could care less about the pot but for $20 I got pot and 5 seeds I can see right off the bat and if I take the buds apart, I'm sure there will be more. super surprised to find seedy pot...

Last edited: