What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

~FIRST TIMER HERE~ (7 strains)

well hello everyone. so finally couldnt take it anymore and decided to "crack" some of my "big name" beans that i have. have 16 going right now that are all bagseed and being used for my learning curve (they are looking healthy and coming along). please feel free to leave any comments or ask any questions along the way. i'll try to keep this as updated as possible but i dont live where my babies are so i only see them a few days so bare with me on some slow updates. on to the setup and grow journal...

Medium: botanicare coco cut with perlite (3:1 mix)
Nutes: KISS 7g maxibloom to 1gal water
Lights: cfl/t5

now on to the strains...

qleaner - tga/subcool (4)
chernobyl - tga/subcool (4)
blueberry - dutch passion (2)
burmese - visc (2)
green c - bagseed but legit (2)
cali orange - bagseed (3)
bubba kush - bagseed but legit (1) not a fully mature seed so just crossing fingers on this one since i know i love this strain

4/8/2012: 18 beans were soaked over night and were then put into jiffy pellets and then were domed w/ tray and heat pad underneath.
4/11/2012: 11 of the babies are up and sprouted with another not quite there yet but can see it. the bubba, burmese, blueberry, and one cali didnt sprout. not expecting the bubba to happen and have actually had the burmese and blueberry beans for 5+yrs now and not stored always in the proper conditions.

and now for pics:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

when i first checked them and then literally just added less than a cup of my nute mix to just make sure things dont dry out...

picture.php

12hrs later

picture.php

.75" and .25" (twins but cant see the sibling in this pic)

picture.php

1"

picture.php

bagseed babies going right now to make sure i kinda knew what i was doing so i didnt just kill off the named strains i have

picture.php

and what i plan on running after i feel even more comfortable

once again please feel free to comment, question, and/or critique anything you would like and i'll keep this updated as much as i can and be prepared for alot of pics. also wouldnt mind getting help sexing and cloning along the way ;)

FoCo(No.Co)

Barned
Veteran
Man you either did your homework or got really lucky picking that setup. T5s, peatplugs, coco, maxibloom and seeds= perfect setup for someone who is trying to provide a variety of herbs for their own private use.

I've tried dozens of combinations of setups and have ultimately settled on exactly what you are going to be rocking.

A few tips:
-Unless your water is very basic, Maxibloom mixes too acidic for coco. You can fix this by adding Silica to your regimen (between 2-6ml of silica per gallon will balance it out; silica is very basic and works as a ph-up). Besides providing an ideal ph balance, the silica also makes your plants more resistant to variable environments and most growers report better harvests when using it. Botanicare Silica Blast is about $12 per liter and is a very affordable supplement.

-Are those pots clear? I cant tell, maybe they arent but clear pots are a big no-no. And I dont see any holes in the pots, whats up with them?

-Keep that coco wet! The advantage of coco over soil is that you can deliver more water and oxygen to the roots and you arent going to get the best results from coco unless you treat it like a hydroponic medium. "BUT WHAT ABOUT OVERWATERING?" Cried the masses! Well, young grasshopper, you should always aerate your solution to add dissolved oxygen. If your mix has enough oxygen in it, it is literally impossible to over-water. Your plant could be sitting in standing water and it would be fine as long as the water is properly aerated.

You can aerate your solution two ways;
1. mix it in a reservoir with an airstone and pump in it.
or my preference-
2. Add H202(Hydrogen peroxide)!
When you add hydrogen peroxide to water, the H202 splits apart into a water molecule and an oxygen molecule. This is a great way to quickly aerate your mixture with the ideal oxygen levels. I use hydro store peroxide, which I think is 20% strength, but you can also use the kind they sell for first aid, which is 3%.

* are my response :p

* are my response :p

Man you either did your homework or got really lucky picking that setup. T5s, peatplugs, coco, maxibloom and seeds= perfect setup for someone who is trying to provide a variety of herbs for their own private use.

*Def have done my homework ;-) I get big into hobbies.

I've tried dozens of combinations of setups and have ultimately settled on exactly what you are going to be rocking.

A few tips:
-Unless your water is very basic, Maxibloom mixes too acidic for coco. You can fix this by adding Silica to your regimen (between 2-6ml of silica per gallon will balance it out; silica is very basic and works as a ph-up). Besides providing an ideal ph balance, the silica also makes your plants more resistant to variable environments and most growers report better harvests when using it. Botanicare Silica Blast is about $12 per liter and is a very affordable supplement.

*so far my the plants are loving it and the pH has been good but just started reading about silica

-Are those pots clear? I cant tell, maybe they arent but clear pots are a big no-no. And I dont see any holes in the pots, whats up with them?

*they are double big gulps actually and have holes in the bottom. DGB was rocking clear containers and he didn't have an issue but I will switch to homemade smart pots

-Keep that coco wet! The advantage of coco over soil is that you can deliver more water and oxygen to the roots and you arent going to get the best results from coco unless you treat it like a hydroponic medium. "BUT WHAT ABOUT OVERWATERING?" Cried the masses! Well, young grasshopper, you should always aerate your solution to add dissolved oxygen. If your mix has enough oxygen in it, it is literally impossible to over-water. Your plant could be sitting in standing water and it would be fine as long as the water is properly aerated.

You can aerate your solution two ways;
1. mix it in a reservoir with an airstone and pump in it.
or my preference-
2. Add H202(Hydrogen peroxide)!
When you add hydrogen peroxide to water, the H202 splits apart into a water molecule and an oxygen molecule. This is a great way to quickly aerate your mixture with the ideal oxygen levels. I use hydro store peroxide, which I think is 20% strength, but you can also use the kind they sell for first aid, which is 3%.

*actually have an airstone in my res ;-)

Thank u for the comments everyone :)

Last edited:
Be prepared for a photo update in the next few days. Ended up transplanting babies into solo cups. 11 out of 18 made it into cups. The bubba (wasn't expected), blueberry, Burmese (had both sets of beans for a LONG time), 1 Cali orange, and 1 Chernobyl. All the others look happy and the GC seem to be standing out as my favorites so far. Checked my pH level of my nute mix is 5.7. Figured that's good enough without wanting to change it. Temps did get a little hot so the test run before are a little droopy but have the problem fixed now. Can't wait to show you all pics ;-)

Mordor

Grabbing a Chair!Best wishes mate and good Karma!

Mordor.

p.s. Give me some more info about the lighting setup pls. I just wondering about using some T8s

Last edited:
Had some heat issues so got to pc fans for my intakes. Hopefully that helps otherwise I'm turning the a/c on early :p I'll get pic up as soon as I get back to my computer. Also took my first clones today off my bagseed plants so here's hoping I did it right :)

Mordor

Blast thanks for the info...tomorrow i will go for my new Philips 70w hps
Sorry about the intake...Waiting for The Family show :watchplant: Best to you and the little buddies :D
Mordor..

Blast thanks for the info...tomorrow i will go for my new Philips 70w hps
Sorry about the intake...Waiting for The Family show :watchplant: Best to you and the little buddies :D
Mordor..

Just FYI I'm running t5/cfls and not hps just so you know I wanted to go 70hps but something's changed and I had to adapt

So my computer is having power issues :-/ wish I could post up pics. All of these seedlings are doing amazing for 2wks in (IMO). The 2 green crack I have look different. Got one that is way indica (short, fat, and sexy) and the other looks like a hybrid. Anyone know which is the more sought after pheno? Was curious if anyone has tips or opinions for pheno hunting for qleaner and chernoybl. Lastly the cali orange I have is probably the most awkward looking plants I've seen with my small amount of experience. Really long, dark leaf (single blade) after the cotoden leaves. I'll gets pics up ASAP though as I know seeing the plants will help with the questions I have. Till next time...

trickey mickey

i'm just a rookie in central fla. doing outside . any advice on godd strains of cronic skunk that will do good out side . season is here!!!!

So sorry for no new pics yet. Tried to upload and got booted :-/ so I topped/cloned all 11 of the plants that I have. I have to admit although being a new person to this, these babies look so happy and healthy. O3 has already shown sex and is a female :) no one else has told me what gender they are. Hopefully plan to have pics up at the beginning of the week by the latest. Can't wait to share and see what everyone says. Oh, also just doing a perlite soaked bed for my cutting to make clones (dgb style). Ill let you know when I see roots or growth

Latest posts

Latest posts