What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can you confirm this to be Mag def(pics)

G

Ok this first pic is what the plant looked like yesterday when it did not have the rust spots

These next two are how the plant looks today, I think it is a Mag def and I watered today with water cooler water like usual but this time I added a 1/4th TSP of epsom salt to the gallon jug I use to water with. I am just looking for verification that this is a Mag def and NOT a fungis. Sorry for the shitty pics.

Rellikbuzz

I would say that the first pic looks more like the start of mag deficiency but the next shows it all the way up to the tops. Typically, mag deficiency starts down low and slowly moves up the plant but I've never seen it dominate a plant so quickly. Which leads me to think it may be something else.

How is your PH? What do you PH your water/nutes at? What is the PH of the runoff water? I always start with PH first and then start looking at element deficiencies. If the PH is in an acceptable range (5.8-6.3 or so, for soil), then it very well could be bacterial. In which case, I would add 5-10 mils of Hydrogen Peroxide (35% Horticultural Grade) for each gallon of water you feed with. This will kill off any bacteria in the soil but I would do it quickly if this is the case. If you use Mychorrizal Fungi or any other beneficial bacteria in your soil, you'll need to add this back to the soil after a good flushing to regenerate beneficials in the soil again.

I would still be adding your epsom salts or use a Cal-Mag product with each watering/feeding as most strains of cannabis are magnesium whores and need to be supplemented anyway. Hope this gives you some ideas of where to start. Good luck!!

G

No nutes added, using fox farms ocean forest soil, just transplanted from beer cups a couple days ago. I have to be honest and say I have no idea of my ph because I do not have a ph test =/ I have 3 dollars to my name right now and cannot by and ph testing supplies till my tax return comes sigh =/ Thanks for the pointers.

Edit: Found some 6 way spa test strips that we have here they show ph as well as harness, chlorine level etc. The color indication chart on the back starts at 6.8ph and is an orange color and it the water I use to feed and the runoff was a lighter orange than the 6.8ph orange so somewhere under 6.8ph if these strips are even any good...

Last edited:

Rellikbuzz

I used FF Ocean Forest as well in my grows. Great soil but the one thing I did find was that the PH tended to drift down quite a bit after time. This WILL cause the appearance of nutrient lockout and the last thing you want to do is to over supplement the soil when the plant can't even uptake it.

Without a way to measure your PH, you are at a distinct disadvantage. When you do get a few bucks (about $10.00 or so) you can go to a pet store and get a PH test kit for fish tanks. This will get you close to being right with your PH but certainly not as accurate as a good PH pen would do but I understand the "lack of danero" more than you know, my brotha!

If you are using water fountain water, does this mean it's filtered water? If so, filtered or reverse osmosis water can be quite low in PH as opposed to most city tap water. If it is filtered water, you almost always have to use PH Up to correct the PH. In this case, it's highly likely that your PH is waaayyy to low and will continue to damage the plant. I would use tap water until you can get either a PH test kit at the pet store or, better yet, a PH pen. When you do get a few bucks together, check Ebay and search for "PH Pen" and you can find a servicable one for about 25-30 bucks. The will be the best 25-30 bucks you'll ever spend, my friend!

G

Thanks a bunch rellikbuzz, The water I am using is delivered for our water cooler by sparklets I figured it would be good but I guess not. I know our tap water was found to have uranium in it by the city so we don't really drink it, would this be better to use than the water cooler water till i hit up ebay for the ph pen?

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
Personally myself I have never seen a mg def on a plant younger than 4 weeks/6 inches. Weed plants have a window of higher mg use. Its not like the plant has a day one till harvest quench for mg.

Beyond that the mg def diag is the most frequent and frequently wrong diagnosis running around the internet currently. But I dont let that stop me from buy Epsom Salt stock.

G

Couple new shots, seems to be spreading. Makes me sad to look at my plant.

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
thats definatly not a magnseium deficiency
are these plants grown outdoors? but in pots with FF Soil right?

i think i may know whats wrong
new tips dying and turning yellow
the bottom of the plants are fine
if you look underneath the worst part of the leaves you will notice some discoloration starting on the lead edges kinda like a calcium deficiency but its not

Hey turkish may i use these pictures for my sick plants guide? i will put your name under the contibutor i really need some good boron def pics and those are absolutly it!

here is your problem
its showing every signs of it
Boron (B) Micronutrient and Immobile element

Boron is important when dealing with maturation, pollen germination and seed production. As well as keeping calcium in soluble forms and keeping the stems, stalks, branches strong. Born keeps good color on the leaves and helps produce the plants structure. Boron also aids in cell division and protein formation.

Boron deficiencies will show up first in younger leaves (they may turn yellow), then moves up the plant. Boron deficiency can resemble calcium deficiency. Stunting, discolouration, possible death of the growing tips, bud abortion and development. The Roots will show a stunted with swollen short secondary roots, leaves distorted, sometimes bronzed or scorched. Tip of the shoot dies; stems and petioles are brittle. Boron deficiency plants are easy to tell, because of the spotting the leaves show like a strawberry mark and or splashes of the marking. Boron-deficiency symptoms first appear at the growing points. They also can show signs of newer growths turning gray and or dying, bud deformed, curling of the leaves which are often spotted and discolored. Newer growths appear to look like they are burnt. They can show signs of hollow stems along with yellowish to brownish color leaves. Dead (Necrotic) spots develop between leaf veins, as well as the leaves becoming thick. The leaves will wilt with necrotic and chlorotic spotting. Boron is poorly absorbed with low potassium content. First signs of the deficiency are abnormal growth tips. Having not enough boron can also invite troubles for fungus problems from the internal tissues to rot away, as well as the root hairs along with them being discolored. To avoid having a Boron deficiency try to keep the ph below 7 and to improve the moisture as well as retaining light soils.

Last edited:
G

Ya stitch you can use the pics, indoor plant. So basically all I can do is what flush this thing with some water that I know is around 6.5ph?

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
do not flush
i would foliar spray for now and then when you water next add some boron

Solution to fixing a Boron deficiency
One of the ways you can fix a boron deficiency is to either foliar spray or water regular. Treat with one teaspoon of Boric acid (sold as eyewash) per gallon of water. (Only mixing at ½ strength when using chemical nutrients or it will cause nutrient burn!) Other nutrients that have boron in them are: Borax, Boric Acid, Colemanite, Sodium pentaborate, Sodium tetraborate, which are ALL fast absorption. Garden Manure, Bone Meal are both good boron supplements, but are slow/medium absorption.

use boric acid eyewash
you dont want to fert with anything else that has npk because you will burn your plants since you just transplanted them

ff is great nutes for now all you need is a supliment of boron

or if you got some earthjuuce microblast handy you can use that too

see the problem is boron is really rare and hardly seen at all but it does happen in rare occurances

what strain is this?
how long did you have them in cups for and what soil was you using before?
also depending on the water cooler water your using you may not want to use it no more which may be the problem this is occuring

depending on whats in it , it has additives like sodium which causes lockout and slow growth in plants and causes a squatish looking sickly plant depending on the strain

there could be an additive in there that is causing this
would you find out what is in the cooler water your using? it should say right on the big bottle

ouch wtf you have uranium in there wth
where you live?

Last edited:
G

The nutes I have are pure blend pro grow and some liquid karma additive, havent used em yet though. I guess I need to go find some boric acid eye wash..wonder if theres any lying around the house other wise I need to hit up wally world again...I hate that place. Thanks stitch you are the Woman lol.

G

Found this stuff in the medicine cab. See pic on back it says contains "A sterile buffered, isotonic aqueous solution that contains purified water, boric acid, sodium borate and sodium chloride, preserved with sorbic acid(0.1%) and edetate disodium(0.025%)." This the ticket? 1 tsp to the gallon? Just the next time I water or...?

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
yup 1 tsp in a gallon i would foliar spray one mist on the affected area and then water

like i woul take a bit of the water from the gallon and put it in a spray bottle mist once on the affected area

and then water he plants with some of the water that was mixed
dont use to much though!

ok you know what hold that thought i would foliar spray first

mist well the affected areas and wait a few days and see what happens

if you see some improvement do what i listed above with the watering

foliar spraying seems to work a lot better with micronutes rather than mobile elements

also stop using the cooler water

Last edited:
G

Thanks stitch, ya I am using plain tap water now. I just foliar sprayed the plant with reg water from the tap that I had sitting out over night with 1 tsp of the eye wash, some of the orange(not much but some) actually seemed to melt away. You rock Stitch. God I love the community we have, there is always someone willing to help but yet we are all "evil do-er terrorists" :rollseyes: I will update in a couple days :)

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
good to hear!
its very lucky i so happen to check this thread out because i have been looking for some good solid detailed pics of this deficiency and since its very rare you can understand

G

Lol my plants and I have something in common I guess...rare diseases. I have a rare kidney disease so me and my plant can chill and smoke a bowl together and complain about our ailments like 2 old men.

G

Of course I do not mind, anything to help :) Just wish the pics were better for you guys.

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
MynameStitch said:
see the problem is boron is really rare and hardly seen at all but it does happen in rare occurances

Rare indeed. Hard to call with as little info given and no clear grip on ph levels. I would be pretty impressed if that kind of plant problem is fixed with some eyewash. Theres also more boron in tap water than a plant could ever need.