What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Lumatek Digital ballast

G

I keep emailing westcoastgrowers my question, but never get a responce so...if anyone has a 600 watt lumatek digital ballast do you know how many amps the 600 pulls? It will be less then a regular 600 watt ballast and I need to know how much less.

Thanks for the time. - Cough

HappyHemphog

My Lumatek 600w 120v says it pulls 5.5 amps.

Cheers!
Hempy

Edit: It would be the same as a regular coil type ballast as the equation is w/v=a.

Last edited:
G

Thank you guys, I really wanna know how much their new 1000 watt hid is going to pull,but it wont be out for a couple more weeks.

I cant seem to find a Lumatek website, do you guys know if there is one?

omega7

They went and changed the name and they came out with one more like the future brites with a detachable cord. Its lumenAce. Others have talked about them on the boards. Dont know if there is a site or not. Most places havent received the new ballasts yet. Im still waiting on the 1000's but that seems to be a bunch of broken promises. I keep hearing in a few weeks, two more weeks, 3rd week of Jan.

sonoma

I'm using the lumatek 600w and have found the 600w is much more efficient than the 1000w. I would trade 1-1000w for 2-600w'ers any day. More coverage, more lumens, and less wasted energy.

G

mybeans420 said:
just in case anyone was wondering...
my 240v 600w lumateks pull 2.75A

2.75 amps is really low, but you cant plug the 240v into a regular household socket, right?

G

Yes,you can not plug them into a normal house hold outlet. You need one of those stockets that a Drier or stove plugs into. Funny looking large socket.

Hey Mybeans, haven't seen you in awhile. Nice to know the amps on the 220 units. I was thinking about getting those over the 110 units. Since i'm going to be running a total of 8 units. I want to make sure my rooms can handle the loads, but it sounds like i can plug a few on one outlet with one of those adapter boxes. Nice to see and hear from you. I think 220 is the way i'm going.
Take care all

Last edited:
G

HappyHemphog said:
Not seen a Lumatek website.

But the draw on a 1000w is simple math.. 1000w/120v=8.33 amps

Cheers!
Hempy

Right math but it's not truely what's going on.

1000W ballast pulls 9.5 amps.. So the 'ballast' is using 1140 watts.. 1000 goes to the bulb and 140 goes up in heat at the ballast. So you really need the amps then do the math with 120V.

OrganicGreen

HEAR THIS!

HEAR THIS!

220 and 110 units will actaully use close to the same amount of energy

but 220 units will actaully save more money in the long run. As the wiring for 220 will have more energy flowing through the wiring. 220s have a higher power draw/flow, so your lamps will run more efficiently.

I prefer 600watts over 1000w bulbs because those bulbs have the best lumen/per dollar ratio! 5x600 watt bulbs will push more lumens in a larger area than 3x1000 bulbs. With 5 bulbs, you can cover a lot more area more efficiently. The only draw back is the initial cost, as it is much higher!

bghydro.com. the new lumanace's are newer and cost more, but have a detatchable power cord. other than that, they are exactly the same as the lumateks.

i love it when people use any little bit of my info, but hate it when they don't realize to appreciate it. but you can't blame them pot heads!

Last edited:
G

The only thing about the 600's I dont like is the cost for the MH conversion bulbs $$$$$$.

sbhydro1

I've been starting to look for a new ballast and was leaning towards a purchasing a digital type. The availability of digital ballast is lean, not that many to choose from.

If they are more efficient & economical to operated as they advertise, why are they so hard to find? Is digital the way to go or not???

I would like more information & opinions on digital vs standard ballast.

G

I believe digital is the way to go, but its just like anything else that is new,high in price and unproven to alot of people. Hell the 1000 watt digital ballast hasnt even been released yet.

In a couple years time you'll hear alot more about digital ballast, and eventually they will phase out todays ballast's. To me it's like buying a VCR (todays ballast) when you know damn well a DVD player(digital ballast) is the way to go. - Cough

Swimmer

The only way you could possible know how much power your ballast is using is to measure it. NEVER NEVER trust what it says on the box.

Cough....Why in the hell would you need a MH bulb anyway?

G

Swimmer said:
Cough....Why in the hell would you need a MH bulb anyway?

Why would you need a MH bulb....for a thing called the vegetive cycle of a plants life.

HappyHemphog

From the Lumatek info...

"Lumatek ballasts can light both MH and HPS lamps; the 600W HPS ballast will also light 600W MH conversion bulbs"

You don't NEED a conversion bulb, but if ya got a 600w one, you can use it.

Cheers!
Hempy

G

Someone show me a 600W MH bulb.. Better yet show me a 600 MH ballast..

Latest posts

Latest posts