What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Collecting - Removing Pollen

Locke

I have a two part question about pollen.

1) Is there any easy and efficient way to collect pollen from males?

2) Is there a simple and easy way to clean pollen from the room recently pollenated?

K

kannubis

1 cut the sacs off when they start opening and lay on a piece of screen over a box

2 spray bottle with water will neutralize pollen

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Cut flowering stems (before flowers open obviously) place in a cup of water on a sheet of glass in another room. Allow enough stem so the flowers lean over the side of the cup, not directly above it. When flowers open, they'll drop pollen on the glass which you scrape up and either use or store.

Here's a few thoughts...

1. You should never pollinate within your flower room. Therefore there's no need to hose the room down and introduce potential mold.

2. Grow your males in a spare room with ample sun light. They don't need a lot of light to flower and produce a lot of pollen.

3. I also grow my spare clones within these extra rooms and pollinate here; NOT with my girls!

To answer your question; Here's a few tricks I've learned over the years.

1. I'm not allergic to much, but loose pollen will play havoc on your nose. Where a mask to protect yourself from a pollen attack from HELL !

2. I make a catch basin out of a 5gal bucket lined with butcher paper rolled into a cone so there's no corners or edges. I suspend the cut stems above the bucket and allow the pollen to fall. I check daily and will lightly tap the hanging stems to continue to loosen the vital pollen. The majority of pollen will ripen and fall between day2 and 4.

3. After I think I've collected all vital pollen; I unroll the butcher paper and use razor blade to help separate the pollen from the open flowers that have fallen.

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
I don't have any need to store pollen...so

I just cut a branch off and tap it over a black plastic garbage bag; spread out on the floor.
(separate room, no fans or vents open)
I take a small pencil brush and dip it in the pollen and paint selected bud sites with pollen.

I just did this 2 hours ago...I should have used a dust mask...ouch....my nose is burning....:greenstars:

Sokan

way to pollinate one female with few males

way to pollinate one female with few males

Hey, sorry for the offtopic, couldnt create a new thread;/
So, i was thinking how it would be possible to pollinate one female with few males and get wanted seeds. (avoid getting both males` offsprings on the same branch of the female)
My idea was to use plastic bag with mini usb keyboard hoover on one side and a gap on the other side. The principle would be to pour some pollen to the bag, attach to female branch, seal the gap somehow, shake a bit, wait around 20mins for pollen to germinate and hoover what has left (not germinated on the pistil). That maybe would help not to spread the pollen on other parts of the plant.

What do you, guys, think? Maybe someone has a good method?:)
Thanks