What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

to clone or not to clone is the Question

G

Good Friends , I have a few questions and poss I can get a few observations!
I have never cloned a plant. I have found two Beautiful specimans, a lifesaver and a lemmonfreeze.
I took the advice from a friend who said it was the only way to go.

I took 4 cuttings from down at the bottom of theses two ladies each. I took the whole limb soaked it in some clean water and super thrive then cut agood 4 inches of the cutting. '
I stripped them down witha blade but good. I dont know perhaps to much.
Needless to say in to theses coco pots they call them . They seem to be desinterating rapidly.
These cuttings havent shrunk , wilted or shown any sighn of stress ! Its only been like 3 days 4 at the most. They have a grow light on them like 150 watt or somthing and seem to look even like they have grown.
Poss?
doing somthing wrong?
comments on how to handle them considering I was gonna do the hydro gro with them? The coco pots they are in will surley keep weakining.

I know it was long winded :bat: :lurk:
Thanks for any comments
Peace

This ones photo just taken

Rellikbuzz

Hey Mothra! Good to see you taking a stab at cloning! Did you use any cloning gel at all? I'm guessing that you didn't. However, they may still do fine. DON'T OVERWATER THEM! Just mist the leaves once or twice a day for the first 5 days or so. Then, just mist the inside of your dome and NOT the leaves anymore. This will force the roots out in search of moisture. Also, it's best to trim about 1/3 of the leaf tips off of each leaf. This helps to reduce photosynthesis and forces the plant to focus it's energies on root development. Another thing you want to do once or twice a day (when you mist) is to using the lid of your humidity dome to create a slight breeze on your clones for 3-5 minutes. This will help strenghten the meristem so that they will hold their heads upright. Just wave the lid back and forth to create the breeze. Be careful not to clobber them with the lid. With this method, they should root in about 10-14 days but don't get impatient with them. Especially if you didn't use a rooting gel. Hope this helps, my brotha!!

G

Rellikbuz ! Thanks a bunch for those important tips ! Will do just that then.
Yes m8 sorry , I did use something like oliveras cloning jell. They each got a health coating.
Better go trim some leaves back and mist.
Thanks Bro

junit

Dont worry mothra.... your doing fine. If anything.. I think your worring too much. My method is Very Crude and ive only had a couple of clones not root. Keep on truckin.

m.steelers

Enlightened
Veteran
It looks like you are doing fine to me! In my experience if you get past the first week without losing any they will all make it... unless you keep touching them, checking them blah blah blah. Try not to handle them too much, just do what Relik said and in around 2 weeks you will have results. Best temps are between 72 and 80 so if you can get a digital therm sensor in the dome that can also help you know if you are working in optimal range.... colder they will take longer to root and warmer you can get soft stems and rot.....

M

mtnjohn

Veteran
looking good mothra. i remember the first time i cloned successfully ,i was stoked
its a good skill for a grower to have , and for me with very limited space its a must

i would definately advise a cloning gel for soil rooting
rellikbuzz addresses the biggest problem i had - overwatering- when i first started i used to drench the medium but i didnt take long to get it right
DONT OVERWATER THEM and you will be fine

G

The cuttings actualy did well

The cuttings actualy did well

Friends !!
I was able to take cuttings as a trial , and have been sucessful :smbounce:

My 4 lifesaver and 4 lemmonfreeze.
With that i have constructed a clone veg area and am on my way to not having to start from seed :joint: :dance: :smoweed: :
Not that that isnt a good thing , but now can perhaps try diff strains in action all the time. :smoke1: :band:
Thanks for the tips and Karma
Cheers

P

PFCruz

hey there mothra, After MANY trys ,my first clones took.I tried many different ways,droped cuttins in promix watered once and misted for about 10 days worked great. Can hardly wait to put some sensi star under my screen.good luck :joint:

G

High Mothra,
Looks great...and they rooted...I think youve just advanced to the next level as a grower...makes it easy to keep those special plants going for a long time.
Here is my simple but very effective setup and its cheap too!
4 Mango Widow clones and 4 G13Skunk clones being rooted...along with G13WW#18 and #58 clones too.

cheers

4249clone_setup_very_simple_stuff-med.JPG

Last edited:
G

once u master your cloning method you'll never look back ,,,creating clones is very rewarding and lets u keep that mother plant you've been looking for ,,,,simplist method is just to put the clone in a glass of water ,so simple yet works so well ,,,enjoy experimenting

G

ParanoidNovice, Thanks Bro> Its easyer than it sounds. So many ways I have read to clone plants. I got Luckymy first go round with all making roots. I was knida haphazard because I wasnt sure where I would have put them anyway. Was an experiment. Now I have made a grow spot for them} Good luck m8

PFCruz , Looks Like U have arrived! Sweet

Scorpion, Thanks Bro and what a nice setup U have.

Hazyfontazy, agreed m8 and Thanks. My Lifesaver is gonna be around for some time now. Its so frosty and squat. Didnt stretch much at all. Just what The Dr orderd for my closet and shes already looking like Frosted Flakes. THERREEE GReeaeat. Tony The Tiger Says.

peach125

Clones are looking Great for a First timer... I guess after u do it a couple of times it seems to get easier....I guess you worry Less....I just use a little cloning powder and put them in a cardboard egg container and about a foot away from the Flo's. I guess the cardboard helps hold a little moisture,, But it works for me....Good Luck on the Grow...Peace...Peach

moth

Lifesaver clones

Lifesaver clones

Friends ,
I have Done well with my first attempt at taking cuttings.
I gave away a lifesaver and my lemmonfreeze as I wanted to just concentrate on trying to do 3 Big ones instead of going for broke with all the avail. Lumens I had.
So These 3 Girls look Wonderful and they will veg another month or so.
I topped each several times and now looks like branches just everywhere.
The last and only Lifesaver I grew was a single style cola.
I am still using the foxfarm soil and foxfarm grow big.

Please advise on the diff color of leaves please. I think maybe getting to much juice this time. I normally add it everytime. Perhaps just plain water for a change?
Thankls Friends

G

Hey Moth those clones look great and you are getting a lot of help from the pros around here ( myself not included).

I am just wondering why a lot of people are cloning in soil? I tried it years ago and at best only had about 50% root.

I have now got it down to where I have almost 100% success. I use rapid rooters , cloning gel and R.O. water. No nutes no additives just plain water until the roots are showing. The rapid rooters have everything a clone needs to develop good roots.JMHO

Nice job Moth
GCG

moth

Garlic City gro, Thanks Bro for the Kind and Uplifting words.
Yes there are Many Here with Vast knowledge and I have only learned a Tiny Piece , But Its gets me Me Smoke.
I decided not To chance it in rapid rooters as I have never even uesed one. Was gonna do these ladies in hydro but thought I would veg them an extended period of time. Thanks for zThe tip Gcg about the rooters , perhaps next time.
Cheers

G

rapid rooters are the cat's ass!

sup moth?! new nick, I see.. peace bro!

moth

Wana see some Purple Lifesaver ?

Wana see some Purple Lifesaver ?

Fernando Thanks for stopping By and Helping. Much appreciated Bro
Good Friends I just wanted to shaow a few pictures and keep up to date on this much smaller grow. I hope to be able to veg these BOG Lifesaver ladies a long time and see just how much I can get out of them.
These ladies are purpul big time.
How Cool!!
Still a newbe here ! I might add That this was my first and succesful attempt in taking Cuttings.

I topped these ladies many times and now they are starting to Branch Big time.
Gonna have some help here next week with tying them down and training.

These cuttings werer taken early on when I started to flower my only Female lifesaver .
The smoke is awsome , It smells like lifesavers amd its just loaded with sugar, Did I mention it smells like lifesavers? Awsome Smoke.

Thanks and Please advise

Last edited:

Rellikbuzz

Very nice, Moth! They are all looking nice and healthy. I can hardly wait to see the beauties first hand! Excellent work, my brotha!