Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Medicinal Cannabis Forum > Does Cannabis as medicine really work?

Thread Title Search
Does Cannabis as medicine really work? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-11-2016, 05:54 AM #21
SheltonThompson

SheltonThompson will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas.Curtis View Post
I would imagine the higher the cbd content, the easier it would have been. 15 years ago I didn't ever get cannabis with a strain name attached to it.

Helps reduce the need for as much opiates, while also making withdrawls MUCH more comfortable, yes. I vividly remember many times having to use so much opiates I was so nauseous and uncomfortable I wanted to scream. A couple puffs of even low grade cannabis made me feel soooo much better it's unreal.

The correct strain, properly prepared, will remove all but the most extreme pain. We're talking a SIGNIFICANT reduction in the amount of opiates a country would consume, when cannabis is co-prescribed. Massive money losses.

All doctors should prescribe a combination of cannabis and opiates, when severe pain is the issue. People will use significantly less opiates, much healthier.
Hmmm. Not sure if that would be a good thing or a bad thing, guess they were probably much stronger then now that government is getting involved the strains may get weaker and weaker, sigh.

Yeah, I know some people on a lot of opiates so I was just curious on that one. Could see why government is so hesitant on this one. Maybe they're trying to determine if they could make nearly as much from medicinal by tying it to treatments like chemotherapy rather than just giving it out with standard opiates.

Thanks for the information,
SheltonThompson is offline Quote

Old 08-11-2016, 06:04 AM #22
corky1968
Banned

Location: Living in a Trichome. These are the Best Homes in the World.
corky1968 has much to be proud ofcorky1968 has much to be proud ofcorky1968 has much to be proud ofcorky1968 has much to be proud ofcorky1968 has much to be proud ofcorky1968 has much to be proud ofcorky1968 has much to be proud ofcorky1968 has much to be proud ofcorky1968 has much to be proud ofcorky1968 has much to be proud ofcorky1968 has much to be proud of
It must work if there's a patent.

Here:

Cannabinoids as antioxidants and neuroprotectants
corky1968 is offline Quote

Old 08-11-2016, 06:14 AM #23
SheltonThompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky1968 View Post
It must work if there's a patent.

Here:

Cannabinoids as antioxidants and neuroprotectants
Interesting. Haha, I dug up a patent in the early 90's that the government was holding in regards to Cannabis. Will have to dig that up unless someone can find it for me again. It's almost like they have had this planned all along to legalize. I just hope it doesn't end up getting locked into government hands and never mass-legalized in most places for recreational use!

Old 08-11-2016, 06:19 AM #24
corky1968
Banned

Location: Living in a Trichome. These are the Best Homes in the World.
corky1968 has much to be proud ofcorky1968 has much to be proud ofcorky1968 has much to be proud ofcorky1968 has much to be proud ofcorky1968 has much to be proud ofcorky1968 has much to be proud ofcorky1968 has much to be proud ofcorky1968 has much to be proud ofcorky1968 has much to be proud ofcorky1968 has much to be proud ofcorky1968 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheltonThompson View Post
Interesting. Haha, I dug up a patent in the early 90's that the government was holding in regards to Cannabis. Will have to dig that up unless someone can find it for me again. It's almost like they have had this planned all along to legalize. I just hope it doesn't end up getting locked into government hands and never mass-legalized in most places for recreational use!
If you scroll down on that link you can see more Patent Citations near the bottom.
corky1968 is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:21 AM #25
SheltonThompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky1968 View Post
If you scroll down on that link you can see more Patent Citations near the bottom.
Ahh, nice. I see a Cannabinoids patent from 1999 that is somewhat relevant to the one I remember someone mentioning not too long ago. Thanks for pointing that out, not quite sure how I missed it really.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:25 AM #26
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheltonThompson View Post
Hmmm. Not sure if that would be a good thing or a bad thing, guess they were probably much stronger then now that government is getting involved the strains may get weaker and weaker, sigh.
It was rather poor quality.

I have access to much higher potency these days. Home growers will always have access to stuff like I have.
Douglas.Curtis is online now Quote

Old 08-11-2016, 06:28 AM #27
SheltonThompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas.Curtis View Post
It was rather poor quality.

I have access to much higher potency these days. Home growers will always have access to stuff like I have.
Ahh, interesting. Guess now that there are more home growers making their own stuff and with the power of the internet it kind of greatly changes the playing field for Cannabis, eh?

I should have thought that one out a bit better, haha.

I imagine back then they had to kind of do their own thing and hope for the best. Now they can just search for it all on a form like ICMAG and get all the answers in one place, do trial and error and get their grow near perfected.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:43 AM #28
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant future
Yep, cat is out of the bag and has had plenty of kittens. lol

Old 08-11-2016, 07:57 AM #29
Bubbleblower

Bubbleblower has a spectacular aura aboutBubbleblower has a spectacular aura aboutBubbleblower has a spectacular aura aboutBubbleblower has a spectacular aura about
It depends on the kind of cannabis.

According to research of the Dutch government Bureau voor Medicinale Cannabis;
  • In general high THC strains work and high CBD strains don't.
  • 12 out of 13 high THC users in the past year are still using it now.
  • less than 1 in 4 high CBD users in the past year is still using it now.
  • The medical effect of high THC strains is rated with 7 points.
  • The medical effect of high CBD strains is rated with 2 points.
  • Moderate THC strains are the most effective*.
  • Terpenoids determine the medical value**!

*The average daily dose of moderate THC users is 40% (!) lower than that of high THC users so in medical effect moderate THC is truly superior.

** That makes sense, because less cannabinoids mean more terpenoids (not using chemicals to convert terpenoids to cannabinoids), which really determine the medical value.
The more terpenoids in a strain the higher it gets rated by the users (independent of cannabinoids).

So forget about the cannabinoids and focus on the terpenoids as they will reliably tell you how medicinal a plant is.

We should also look at the right terpenoids, for example what is good for armedoldhippy, lots of pinenes that protect the bones, is bad for oldchuck, who wants terpenoids that lower motility like linalool, not that cause adverse events like pinene.
The soon we look beyond cannabinoids we will be able to see it's pinene, typically the second terpene in high CBD strains, that causes so many adverse events and it's linalool most of all that decreases seizures.
Bubbleblower is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:26 AM #30
Douglas.Curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbleblower View Post
It depends on the kind of cannabis.

According to research of the Dutch government Bureau voor Medicinale Cannabis;
  • In general high THC strains work and high CBD strains don't.
  • 12 out of 13 high THC users in the past year are still using it now.
  • less than 1 in 4 high CBD users in the past year is still using it now.
  • The medical effect of high THC strains is rated with 7 points.
  • The medical effect of high CBD strains is rated with 2 points.
  • Moderate THC strains are the most effective*.
  • Terpenoids determine the medical value**!

*The average daily dose of moderate THC users is 40% (!) lower than that of high THC users so in medical effect moderate THC is truly superior.

** That makes sense, because less cannabinoids mean more terpenoids (not using chemicals to convert terpenoids to cannabinoids), which really determine the medical value.
The more terpenoids in a strain the higher it gets rated by the users (independent of cannabinoids).

So forget about the cannabinoids and focus on the terpenoids as they will reliably tell you how medicinal a plant is.

We should also look at the right terpenoids, for example what is good for armedoldhippy, lots of pinenes that protect the bones, is bad for oldchuck, who wants terpenoids that lower motility like linalool, not that cause adverse events like pinene.
The soon we look beyond cannabinoids we will be able to see it's pinene, typically the second terpene in high CBD strains, that causes so many adverse events and it's linalool most of all that decreases seizures.
This is interesting, because most of the high cbd offerings I've had from around colorado, have been disappointing.

The Canna-Tsu I'm growing is probably close to 1:1 and the terpene profile is neutral. When grown right she's a citrus strain, orange leaning. It works great for me and I'll be growing more of it. (pain, seizures, autism, blah blah blah)

I'm interested in growing a few other CBD strains I've tried before, just to make sure it wasn't just the poor quality at fault.

Terpenes are where it's at, you're correct. Why else does a 24% THC, 3% CBD indica hit completely different from a sativa with the same ratios?