What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pot for pets? Vet offers unorthodox marijuana treatment for pups in pain

RetroGrow

Veteran
Cannabis now recognized as beneficial for your dog:

"With medical marijuana legalized in California and several other states, one veterinarian is asking why a puff can't help ailing pooches.
Dr. Doug Kramer, who runs the Vet Guru animal center in Chatsworth, outside Los Angeles, believes that the active ingredient in pot, THC, could be the key to helping Fido feel better.
He said that was the case in treating his own dog, Nikita, saying the marijuana regimen increased her "quality of life."
Speaking with Vice magazine last month, Kramer said that a friend had first introduced the idea to him, saying that she used marijuana on her dog when other traditional medications were not working.
When his own Husky, Nikita, was diagnosed with terminal cancer, Dr. Kramer knew he had nothing to lose in the battle to help his pet deal with the pain. "When it became clear that she was nearing the end, that's when she had nothing to lose, as long as it didn't hurt her," he told the magazine.
According to Dogster.com, Kramer is the first vet in the country to offer pot as a treatment for canine pain.
Maryland has become the latest state to legalize the drug for medicinal use, the 19th state to have some law on the matter.
And as long as the movement garners enough support, even animal rights' groups could get behind it.
Ingrid Newkirk, the president for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), told ABCNews.com that within the right circumstances, THC could help.
"Our position is that anything that can help animals — if it's truly, properly administered in the right amount (and) can relieve a dog's pain — then they should be given the same consideration that humans in pain are given," she said.
She stressed that it would be important to note that marijuana use would be strictly medicinal, and not blowing pot smoke in your pet's face to give them a contact high.
The main psychoactive chemical in marijuana, delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, can help those with chronic pain and nausea cope with their symptoms.
However, marijuana has not been vetted by the FDA because of a lack of clinical trials and because of the difficulty in getting consistency in ingredients.

Pictures & comments @:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/mutt-ical-marijuana-vet-pot-pets-pain-article-1.1335182

skwishyghost

when my dog was going into heat , i got her spayed, she was having a terrible time yelping , crying, pissed off at the world because she was no longer a lil lady. but after a few dabs of some 7% cbd strain misty, she was happy, pain free, able to eat, able to drink ,stretch, and finally after 1 day, she didn't cry again, and wanted to go crazy outside. im not saying the dog took the hit, but 2nd hand inhaled it , and it seemed to work outstanding without dumbing the dog after repeated use.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^ wow, so your telling us, your dog talked to you, and told you she was " pissed off at the world because she was no longer a lil lady" , well you better call Cesar Milan because I'm sure he would be interested how you can talk to dogs..

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
come on,that vet
a) wants an excuse for having weed around the surgery, and
b) wants a reason to be able to sell to their customers.

I'm guessing very little of that weed gets to sick animals

castout

Veteran
OUR OLD FRIEND, LEX.

OUR OLD FRIEND, LEX.

She suffered from awful ear infections, and there was nothing the vet could do, except try all the usual methods.....but she was always so uncomfortable, and shaking her head. One night, she was having an awful time, and we gave her a cookie. At first she was a lil hyper, but once it settled in, about 2 hours after eating the cookie, she settled down, and slept peacefully, and didn't shake her head the whole night. She was so chill the next day, and we knew it was because she slept, and the rest was just what she needed. She has since passed away, and she is so missed, by the everyone that knew her. I think using cannabis on our pets, is way better than giving them methadone for pain...and yes, vets do indeed use methadone on dogs!!!

OreoGrows

the people who just blow this off as a dumb stoner vet are as bad as the people who say mmj is only useful for sick people because theyre just too high to care theyre sicm and it doesnt actually help. bullshit. all mammals have the same endo cannabanoid system we have in our bodies and while theyre not well understood it def plays a roll in overall health. ive got a cat that is the sweetest little guy you ever met but he has seizures once or twice a week. we have him taking meds 3 times a day and it doesnt help at all. the vets are stumped maybe someday a cannabis based medicine will work to help his seizures like it helps human seizures.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
No vets are dumb, they can't be to get through the education they need. However self proclaimed medical experts with no medical education are. Or con artists that sell snake oil and water that once upon a time was in the same lake as an atom from a rose or something.
But nor is every vet on earth a saint, or beyond the point where we can doubt what they say if there is a few hundred grand to be made out of misrepresenting a situation. Are we really trying to say that if there is an animal in the story, then the story can no longer be treated with critical scepticism?

OreoGrows

when marijuana was offered as a medicine to people there was a shitload of critical skepticism but guess what? turns out that it really does work, for all kinds of different ailments, so why should we jist assume it couldnt work for other mammals. doesnt seem loke critical skepticism as much as projected ignorance. who are you to say this vet is a con artist. why would someone go through all the trouble of becoming a vet to sell weed, when its easier to just open a farm or dispensary. maybe he actually loves animals and is legitimately trying to find new ways to help them. maybe not everyone in the mmj industry is a greedy bitch.

blastfrompast

Veteran
I know when my 8yr old GSD's back end is bothering her due to her bad hips, she gets a bag of vap....

Just enough so get goes a bit puppy, then sleeps all afternoon...lol..

E

entheogen

I have a "good friend" who is getting up there in years. He's a large dog with typical hip/back issues. We aren't quite at the point of needing pain meds yet, but when we are i will with out a doubt try cannabis.

Latest posts

Latest posts