What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Alabama HB 550

STUNKY

Marijuana Legalization Bill Introduced in Alabama
By Scott Gacek on April 5, 2013
Read More: Alabama, Legalization, Legalization Bills (Adult Use)
Topics: AL HB 550, Alabama Cannabis and Hemp Reform Act of 2013, HB 550, HB550, Patricia Todd

MONTGOMERY, AL — A bill that would allow the possession, use, cultivation, and sale of marijuana by adults in Alabama was introduced Thursday. The bill would also authorize the medical use of marijuana in Alabama and the cultivation of industrial hemp.

Rep. Patricia Todd (D-Birmingham)
House Bill 550, the Alabama Cannabis and Hemp Reform Act of 2013, was introduced Thursday by Birmingham Democrat Rep. Patricia Todd, who has unsuccessfully lobbied her colleagues at the Alabama state house to legalize medical marijuana, including two medical marijuana bills introduced this year.

If passed, House Bill 550 would:

Allow adults 21 or older to use or possess up to one ounce of marijuana
Allow adults 21 or older to grow up to twelve mature cannabis plants in an enclosed, locked space
Allow adults 21 or older to share, but not sell, marijuana among other adults 21 or older
Authorize the Department of Revenue to regulate the cultivation, processing, packaging, testing, transportation, display, and sale of marijuana and marijuana accessories
Prohibit the sale of marijuana except by licensed, regulated cannabis retail stores
Sets product labeling regulations and advertising restrictions for marijuana and marijuana related businesses
Authorize the medical use of marijuana by certain qualifying patients who have been diagnosed by a physician as having a serious medical condition.
Allow the cultivation of industrial hemp by Alabama farmers
Impose penalties for supplying marijuana to minors under 21 years of age, except those with medical marijuana authorizations
Allows local communities to ban marijuana retail outlets, but only if approved by voters on an even-numbered election year ballot.
Alabama currently has some of the harshest marijuana penalties in the country. Possession of any amount of marijuana – even a single joint — is punishable by up to a year of incarceration and a $6,000 fine.

If passed, the Alabama Cannabis and Hemp Reform Act of 2013 would take effect on October 1, 2013. The bill has been referred to the Public Safety and Homeland Security Committee.

A poll released earlier this week found that the majority of Americans now favor the legalization of marijuana.

Read it. Like it. Share it.
FacebookTwitterGoogle1DeliciousDiggGoogleStumbleuponRedditTechnoratiYahooBloggerMyspaceRSS

Hey all rednecks (joking) contact ur rep today .. Lets show support

STUNKY

If put to vote I feel it would pass. But I don't think or elected officials will let us vote.. They r old and set in there ways ,reefer madness.. I plan on meeting my rep this week to express my support, I know he supports medical not sure about this.

2 Legal Co

Veteran
Ya'll get your 'Redneck' on and tell your voting friends to email their Reps. to support it as well.... we did it in a vote of the people..... course now their going to put a heavy 'sin tax', on it.... looks like.

But at least we can have 'ornamentals' now.

if they dont pass it next elections coming if they are against it vote em out start petitions to get it on the ballet so the voice of the people is heard colorado did this residents got a petition got more than enough signatures to put it on the ballot

STUNKY

:I may be wrong but I don't think alabama can use petition to get on the ballet. I think the votes r there but it's not in our constitution .. Don't let that stop the petitions though, we have to show our support... I am thinking petitions at gas stations and flyers. I mean shit they sell pipes at them..

2 legal co don't let that stop ya from visiting. This is a beautiful place, just bring ya some goodies with ya.. Or just look in the right places when ya get here.:tiphat:

STUNKY

Shitty news from the shitty south.. They gave it a hearing no one voted on it and it was tabled... Damn it.. Like I didn't expect that.. Oh we'll atleast I can head out to Colorado or Washington soon and experience freedom...

Latest posts

Latest posts