What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bill introduced to legalize marijuana in Maryland

bootea

Zip Ties

Zip Ties

This throws some cold water on the proceeding. Maryland is borrowing a page from Mendocino County;but with a heftier fee.

<style type="text/css">P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }A:link { }</style> 5–1204.

(A) (1) WITHIN 120 DAYS OF THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF THIS SUBTITLE, THE COMPTROLLER SHALL ESTABLISH A MEANS FOR RESIDENTS OF THE STATE ANONYMOUSLY TO OBTAIN ZIP TIES WITH THE PAYMENT OF A $100 FEE PER YEAR PER PLANT AND A MEANS FOR RESIDENTS OF THE STATE TO PURCHASE ZIP TIES ONLINE.

(2) THE LOCATIONS SELLING ZIP TIES MAY BE OPERATED BY STATE OR LOCAL GOVERNMENT AGENCIES OR PRIVATE BUSINESSES.

(B) (1) ZIP TIE PURCHASERS SHALL BE ALLOWED TO CHOOSE WHETHER TO PAY BY CASH OR CREDIT CARD.

(2) THE COMPTROLLER MAY ALLOW ADDITIONAL METHODS OF PAYMENT.(marijuana maybe)?

(C) THE COMPTROLLER SHALL ENSURE THAT THERE IS AT LEAST ONE INDOOR LOCATION SELLING ZIP TIES IN EACH COUNTY THAT IS OPEN AT LEAST 40 DAYTIME OR EVENING HOURS PER WEEK ON WEEKDAYS AND AT LEAST 10 DAYTIME OR EVENING HOURS PER WEEK ON WEEKENDS.

(D) (1) THE COMPTROLLER SHALL POST A LIST OF ALL LOCATIONS AT WHICH ZIP TIES MAY BE PURCHASED ON ITS WEB SITE, INCLUDING THE HOURS WHEN ZIP TIES MAY BE PURCHASED.

(2) THE COMPTROLLER SHALL RETAIN AN ARCHIVED LIST OF ALL LOCATIONS THAT WERE POSTED TO ITS WEB SITE ON EACH DATE FOR EACH COUNTY FOR AT LEAST 90 DAYS.

(E) PERSONS PURCHASING ZIP TIES MAY NOT BE SUBJECT TO
SURVEILLANCE BY VIDEO CAMERAS OR STILL PHOTOGRAPHY.
HOUSE BILL 1453

(F) (1) WITHIN 120 DAYS OF THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF THIS
SUBTITLE, THE COMPTROLLER SHALL ESTABLISH A MEANS FOR RESIDENTS OF THE STATE TO PURCHASE ZIP TIES ONLINE.

(2) ZIP TIES SHALL BE MAILED TO A PURCHASER WITHIN 15 DAYS OF THE PURCHASE.

(G) EACH PURCHASER OF A ZIP TIE SHALL BE REQUIRED TO PROVIDE THE DATE OF BIRTH OF THE PURCHASER AND TO ATTEST THAT THE PURCHASER IS A RESIDENT OF THE STATE.

(H) THE COMPTROLLER AND THE VENDOR OR MACHINE MAY NOT
REQUIRE THE PURCHASER TO DISCLOSE ADDITIONAL IDENTIFYING INFORMATION TO OBTAIN A ZIP TIE, INCLUDING NAMES, SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBERS, OR ADDRESSES.

(I) EACH ZIP TIE SHALL INCLUDE A RANDOM IDENTIFICATION NUMBER AND AN EXPIRATION DATE, WHICH SHALL BE 1 YEAR AFTER IT IS ISSUED.

(J) (1) WITHIN 120 DAYS OF THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF THIS
SUBTITLE, THE COMPTROLLER SHALL ESTABLISH A PHONE OR AN
INTERNET–BASED VERIFICATION SYSTEM THAT IS OPERATIONAL 24 HOURS PER DAY THAT LAW ENFORCEMENT PERSONNEL CAN USE TO VERIFY REGISTRY IDENTIFICATION ZIP TIES.

(2) THE VERIFICATION SYSTEM SHALL ALLOW LAW ENFORCEMENT PERSONNEL TO ENTER A REGISTRY IDENTIFICATION NUMBER

TO DETERMINE WHETHER OR NOT THE NUMBER CORRESPONDS WITH A ZIP TIE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER THAT HAS NOT EXPIRED.

link to Bill 1453 <style type="text/css">P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }A:link { }</style> http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/bills/hb/hb1453F.pdf
<style type="text/css">P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }A:link { }</style>

DreamsofTesla

Veteran
Question about that -- what if you buy a zip tie for a plant that dies before harvest? Or that you need to cull? Guess you're just out the money, huh? That sucks.

bootea

DUI DUIM DUI-THC DWS

DUI DUIM DUI-THC DWS

This looks like an attempt to preserve a bit of their favorite part

of the War On Drugs.

5–1205.

THIS SUBTITLE DOES NOT EXEMPT A PERSON FROM ARREST, CIVIL OR CRIMINAL PENALTY, SEIZURE OR FORFEITURE OF ASSETS, DISCIPLINE BY A STATE OR LOCAL LICENSING BOARD, OR STATE PROSECUTION FOR THE FOLLOWING ACTS:

(1) DRIVING, OPERATING, OR BEING IN ACTUAL PHYSICAL
CONTROL OF A VEHICLE OR A VESSEL UNDER POWER OR SAIL WHILE IMPAIRED BY MARIJUANA;

(2) POSSESSING MARIJUANA IF THE PERSON IS A PRISONER; OR

(3) POSSESSING MARIJUANA IN A LOCAL DETENTION FACILITY,
2 COUNTY JAIL, STATE PRISON, REFORMATORY, OR ANY OTHER CORRECTIONAL FACILITY, INCLUDING A FACILITY FOR THE DETENTION OF JUVENILE OFFENDERS.

smoke pot in prison and they will take away your house if they haven't already.

bootea

Question about that -- what if you buy a zip tie for a plant that dies before harvest? Or that you need to cull? Guess you're just out the money, huh? That sucks.
I think you can attach it to another plant until the year is up. After you harvest I would think you can start with another clone. They need to lower the price or they will keep the black market going or invite hackers to go after their zip-tie data base. Something they might think about.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
I think you can attach it to another plant until the year is up. After you harvest I would think you can start with another clone. They need to lower the price or they will keep the black market going or invite hackers to go after their zip-tie data base. Something they might think about.

$300 per year per adult isn't too much money, however reading the proposed changes there are NO penalties for growing three plants (and it doesn't say IF a zip tie is involved).

Many med patients pay more than $300 a year to their state and their doctor.

The one oz limit is insane considering a mature plant could yield more than an a lb.

:joint:

Last edited:

minds_I

Veteran
This looks like an attempt to preserve a bit of their favorite part

of the War On Drugs.

5–1205.

THIS SUBTITLE DOES NOT EXEMPT A PERSON FROM ARREST, CIVIL OR CRIMINAL PENALTY, SEIZURE OR FORFEITURE OF ASSETS, DISCIPLINE BY A STATE OR LOCAL LICENSING BOARD, OR STATE PROSECUTION FOR THE FOLLOWING ACTS:

(1) DRIVING, OPERATING, OR BEING IN ACTUAL PHYSICAL
CONTROL OF A VEHICLE OR A VESSEL UNDER POWER OR SAIL WHILE IMPAIRED BY MARIJUANA;

(2) POSSESSING MARIJUANA IF THE PERSON IS A PRISONER; OR

(3) POSSESSING MARIJUANA IN A LOCAL DETENTION FACILITY,
2 COUNTY JAIL, STATE PRISON, REFORMATORY, OR ANY OTHER CORRECTIONAL FACILITY, INCLUDING A FACILITY FOR THE DETENTION OF JUVENILE OFFENDERS.

smoke pot in prison and they will take away your house if they haven't already.

Hello all,

What if the above had alcohol to replace marijuana in the text...would that be wrong too?

minds_I

bootea

Are you asking would it be wrong if your assets were subject to seizure and forfeiture for driving under the influence of alcohol?

bootea

$300 per year per adult isn't too much money, however reading the proposed changes there are NO penalties for growing three plants (and it doesn't say IF a zip tie is involved).

Many med patients pay more than $300 a year to their state and their doctor.

The one oz limit is insane considering a mature plant could yield more than an a lb.

:joint:

I'm glad to hear that $300 dollars would not discourage patients from growing their own medicine.

I like your reading on cultivation in the MD bill: three plants for free and a $100 dollars for each additional plant. (maybe?)

They refer to zip tie purchasers as residents and the only information asked for is a stated birth date, not even an address just proof of residency by means to be announced!

The one ounce for legal possession is definitely in conflict with growing three plants.

P

puffinpass

I think a lot of people are getting all the different bills confused. Legalization stands no chance this year. It did not pass. Decrim bill did not pass and was ignored. The only thing that passed was a VERY STRICT MMJ law(HB1101) that will only allow academic medical centers to dispense their crappy schwag to people on their death bed. Plus is won't be implemented until 2016. WAH WAH WAHHHH. A step forward? Yes, but not a big enough step IMO

bootea

I forgot about this subsection:

(2)UNLESS OBTAINING A ZIP TIE WAS NOT REASONABLY PRACTICABLE, AN ADULT WHO IS 21 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER WHO MANUFACTURES OR CULTIVATES MARIJUANA PLANTS WITHOUT A ZIP TIE AFFIXED TO OR WITHIN 12INCHES OF EACH PLANT HAS COMMITTED A CIVIL VIOLATION PUNISHABLE

BY A FINE OF UP TO $500 FOR ONE PLANT WITH OUT A ZIP TIE,OR UP TO$1,000 FOR TWO OR THREE PLANTS WITHOUT A ZIP TIE

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]link to Bill 1453 http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/bills/hb/hb1453F.pdf[/FONT]

BlackNight

Price Georges County was home for many years. Any tips for the marylanders to make a difference would be appreciated. Selfishly I would enjoy looking back to these next years and feel I had a small hand in righting a wrong. And of course to quicken the release of our friends unjustly locked up. :comfort:

A suggest to those in the DC metro area: set your dial to 89.3fm wpfw for non-commercial honest progressive representation of issues like these.

bootea

I think a lot of people are getting all the different bills confused. Legalization stands no chance this year. It did not pass. Decrim bill did not pass and was ignored. The only thing that passed was a VERY STRICT MMJ law(HB1101) that will only allow academic medical centers to dispense their crappy schwag to people on their death bed. Plus is won't be implemented until 2016. WAH WAH WAHHHH. A step forward? Yes, but not a big enough step IMO

Bill 1453 was just introduced in mid February and hasn't been voted on as far as I know.

Latest posts

Latest posts