What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

moonshine mix

mysta177

20K that post was actuall in HighTimes but one of the OGers posted it and I saved it about a year ago. Well It looks like we can both be the guina pigs bro.....Im down. I'll be honest with ya this is my first grow and I looked at many other soil mixes and there was just something about MSM mix that said that is the one. I think It might of been ROMULATOR and GAJ pics that made my mouth water. I think your on the right track when you mention kelp let me know what is working ..........

20kw dreams

Nice shots Mysta. Can you get more pics of the leaves w/out the hps?

I gave your version of the recipe to a friend to try, but added the silicate sand.

I just picked up 11 new strains at the clubs a couple days ago. All 11 are going into some version of the mix. Idd said he thought moonshine had started using 2 cups of the fruit and flower. This would definately burn the little ones though. Idd also mixes the Peace of Mind "starter" fert in a seperate mix for veg. It would sure be nice if everyone could show each other our plants to see what has worked best. I'm gonna mix up those 11 clones + 1 other w/ different mixes. Probably something like this:

3 vegged w/ 1c "starter" mix, flower mix 1c "fruit&flower"
3 vegged w/ 1c "strtr" mix, flower mix w/ 2c "f&f"
3 w/ 1c "f&f" all the way through
3 vegged w/ 1c "f&f", flower w/ 2c "f&f"

I'll mix that extra kelp into all of them.

Them all being different strains, I should still be able to tell what my best average mix, and I'll try to mix them evenly according to thier indy/sativa mix.

Those 4 that I said I had before I'll just go straight into the original mix, but try my organic pk booster on a couple of them. They will be a few weeks ahead of the others, so I should be able to tell if it works by the time the 12 get to the proper stage.

mysta177

wow sounds good and your def on the right track. My boy came by and said the ladeyz were looking better and juicier than his and hes the one that gave them to me. He grows aero and sells his to the club. I think hes going to also try the mix out so that makes one more to try this shit out.

G

Lookin good....the mix is super simple...you can use it from seed to flower it just doesnt need the dry ferts (peace of mind) early on.....Watering is the Key to this mix...overwater and youll see all sorts of weird "nute def" poppin up....let it dry completely and the probs disappear......the Current mix goes a lil sumthin like this...

(bag of each)
Ocean Forest
Planting Mix (guano/castings)
Light Warrior
Black Gold
Coco Brick(small brick)
1 cup peace of mind (for flower)
2- 5 gal buckets worth of perilite....

And the LARGE Chunky Perilite...RULES....small perilite packs down over time ...the large perilite creates huge air pockets for the roots to grow through....over the last 3 yrs anytime I have gone back to the small diameter perilite my plants SUFFER and yeilds diminish.....You have to try the stuff to understand and even then you may not comprehend (like me) the benefits the large core peri makes.....great stuff....

Romulator has been usin my mix for a couple of yrs now and he is like me always tinkering and tweakin the mix...but in the end its the core 3 bag fox farm mix that makes this shit work....

my only "additives" Id tell anyone to try would be "Fish Mix" from biobizz for a lil boost in veg and Advanced Nutes "Moter Earth Super Tea" for a lil boost on day 25-30 for LARGE plants ......But honestly the mix dont need nuthin....

Keep up the good work.....

Moonshine

picture is The "Wrigley's Huzh" its a BubbaKush x HAze/Skunk, it looks like a Bubba smokes like a HAze......

Last edited:

20kw dreams

Well shit, there's the man of the hour. Thanx for chiming in MSM Thanx for the clarification of the current recipe. Would it be too much to ask for you to let us in on the different changes you've made over the years, and what effects they've had?

What's the consistency of the LW guys? Is it mostly just perlite and vermiculite, or is it more soilish?

And why 1 small brick of coco? seems like 1.5 to 2 gallons of coco would be pointless when you are talking about 60 gallons of soil.

Ever thought about switching out the perlite for straight coco?

Could you just write me a book msm..lol..I'll give you $19.95 for it bud! j/k...no seriously though, you should write a "how to grow weed w/ out fertilizing" book... You'ld be a god...

mysta177

Well there it is 20K from the man himself...ThankYou MSM for responding so quick its people like you that keep me here and going to the next level. I'm going to keep this thread going so pleaes... please fill free and stop bye once in a while. Thanx again

mysta177

Well if your just stopping by and checking out this thread you gotta look into this SOIL mix it so so easy and the results speak for them self....... I know some of you viewing this thread have your own 2cents and tried different things please post it....... pics always seem to be better tho... Please stay tuned for some pics to come....myst

Last edited:

mysta177

well here are the pics...I don't know what setting to put it on so sorry kinda blury ..advice needed..
9005mysahit_008.jpg

9005mysahit_0011.jpg

9005mysahit_006.jpg

mysta177

thanx Opt.....To be honest the I think the pink hairs come from a organic spray I used to fight powder mold. What kind of soil you got going?

Opt1983

Peat, perlite, wormcastings, lime, bone meal, blood mean, kelp meal. I also feed them a dose of about 1 teaspoon Thrive alive B1 (green) everyother watering or so. Only another couple weeks till chop time! :) -Opt

Potentate

Hey MSM, I see the new mix is tweeked a bit. From what I understand, Black Gold is pretty much the same stuff as the Fox Farms planting mix. In addition, isn't the light warrior primarily made from coco?

Just curious, as I'm about to indulge in your mix, but want to do it right. I have the light warrior, potting mix, ocean forest, fox farm #5 coarse perlite, and the POM flowering fertilizer. Do you think the Black gold and coco is a required addition? Are there any things that could be substituted for the black gold, like perhaps miricle gro organic potting mix?

Thanks for your time.

mysta177

opt- nice I bet them are going to be tasty as hell.
Potentate- have you grown with MSM mix before? I would do exactly what he posts I'm sure he's played around with it many times.

Potentate

Oh i understand that, but to have the black gold shipped out to my area would be about twenty or so dollars for the soil iteself, and about 120 dollars worth of shipping. The coir bricks would be easy enough for me to aquire, as theyre small, cheap, and cheap to ship. I'm primarily wondering if I can substitute a local orgaic potting soil, or perhaps just another bag of the fox farms potting mix, in the place of the black gold. It really comes down to which size bag of the black gold I will be needing. If its the smaller bags (under 1.5 cubic feet), ill bite the bullet and have them shipped out. If its the larger one I'm really going to have to experiement...Im considering replacing the black gold with mirical gro organic potting soil in whatever volume would be required. Contrary to what some may think, its actually a pretty high quality product and has a small amout of organic fertilizer (poultry based) added. I think it would broaded the spectrum of avalible nutrients and structures, rather than hinder it. As I understand it, the BIG 3 Fox Farms soils are fine by themsevles, so if I add the MG Organic in place of black gold, and have all the other variables in line, i think I will be doing just fine with this setup.

Thanks for your time, and please provide any criticisms or concerns.

G

Potentate said:
Hey MSM, I see the new mix is tweeked a bit. From what I understand, Black Gold is pretty much the same stuff as the Fox Farms planting mix. In addition, isn't the light warrior primarily made from coco?

Just curious, as I'm about to indulge in your mix, but want to do it right. I have the light warrior, potting mix, ocean forest, fox farm #5 coarse perlite, and the POM flowering fertilizer. Do you think the Black gold and coco is a required addition? Are there any things that could be substituted for the black gold, like perhaps miricle gro organic potting mix?

Thanks for your time.

Black gold would be similar to half a bag of planting mix with a bunch of spagnum and mushroom compost.....its much lighter and airy'r.....the BG and coco arent required...it just allows me to cut my soil a bit more so it goes further and since summer is upon us the airy'r soil lets them plants rip.....

and the lighter soil allows the plants to flush a lil better........I have some insanely green plants at the end sometimes....those strains get a much lighter mix the next time....I like a lil color change...not necc yellow'd out.....

I go under the knife in the next few days....I found this lump between my ribs and the docs have me kinda freaked....The surgeon pretty much cleared his schedule so he could remove it soon....which doesnt sit well with me....Hopefully it all goes well and the tests come back benign but right now my gut feeling isnt a good one.....I'm a lil anxiety riddled so smokin does nuthin beneficial for me...even strains I have found to be anti anxiety are killin me with the paranoia......I'll be glad when I have an answer......sorry to stress out.....

Jah Bless.....

Moonshine