What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

8k ebb and grow.. first attempt at hydro!

shredGnar

Be very careful growin plants that big with such small feed and drain lines cuz roots will clog the shit out of em and kill flow , which in turn kills the plants......

I ran 5 gal ebb and flow bucket flip rooms for over 5 yrs , and gotta say it`s 1 of the most bulletproof setups there is out there once dialed......but....

Yas gotta know the system`s limitations and weak links , and you`re lookin at the potential for 1 as we speak.....I hard-plumbed all my setup`s and used ebb and flow "overflow screen" fittings on the insides of the buckets so roots would grow around the screen and not follow the juice back down the drains for potential clogging.....

I also used big ass pumps to blast roots back away from the holes with each feed and by doing so trained the rootmasses away from the feed/drainholes ......

Lights on/off temps should never exceed 10 degree variables , and cold rootzones will stop growth in it`s tracks and the plants`ll start yellowing with leaves droppin off the plants as yours did....

Rez OR rootzone temps not to exceed 70 degrees or go below 65 , though root rot`s not much of a problem with a dialed ebb and flow bucket setup , but I have seen it happen in the last yr or so with folks filling the smaller containers up with roots and flow stopped causing crop death....and....

Yas can get those buckets up off the concrete floor with 2 x 4 frames and plywood on top to help rootzones from gettin too cold as well , while lettin em back down on the slab during summer ta keep em cool.....

Almost forgot.... When possible , get those other 2 KW`s in that room so you`ll be sportin 50 watts per sq ft minimum ftw......

Wonderin how much they`re gonna stretch once flipped....anyways....

Good luck and holler if I can help....

Peace...DHF....:ying:......

Appreciate you stopping in DHF...

I have heard of the roots clogging problem and will definitely keep an eye out for that.

I've got some big plans for next grow, possibly scrog but I did build a bucket where I moved the float switch 3" up. This way I can lay the buckets on two 2x4's, and no water is left in the bottom.

A few of the larger plants were looking over watered, I believe because of the stagnant water in the bottom so I put in an extra inner pot and this raised them enough out of the water they no longer are drooping...

really appreciate all the advice!

shred

shredGnar

update!

Sorry for the delay but here are some pics.. approx 2 weeks into flowering at this point..

LSD's stretching!

picture.php

pineapple plant

picture.php

pineapple in front, hashplant in back

picture.php

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=35827&pictureid=848269

Here are clones I took of the best looking pineapple and hashplants for next run, the hashplants are up front in the rapid rooters, and the rockwool plugs and rapid rooters to the right are pineapple (ran out of rockwool plugs,hence the rapid rooters) Under a 400 watt t5 flouro until they go onto their 6" blocks in a few days

picture.php

shredGnar

About 5 days in the 3" blocks

picture.php

Clones have been growing kind of yellow/pale green leaves. Does it look like a nitrogen deficiency ? Will be using lucas formula for this run.. should I up the ppm a bit at this point?
If anyone is familiar with lucas would you go 5-10 or just jump to 8-16?

picture.php

picture.php

E

ekomsi

Hell yeah they look on track for day 17. The next 5 weeks they will explode if you treat them right. I suggest rotating the buckets on the daily to prevent roots from growing down to the tubes and blocking the flow, it happened to me and two plants are going to yield less for me. Im going to look into those screens for next run.

420ish

did you clone in plain water?if so the yellowing leafs should not be a problem.very common when cloning for the leaves to turn yellow when roots are being made.

shredGnar

Hell yeah they look on track for day 17. The next 5 weeks they will explode if you treat them right. I suggest rotating the buckets on the daily to prevent roots from growing down to the tubes and blocking the flow, it happened to me and two plants are going to yield less for me. Im going to look into those screens for next run.

Thanks for that, bro. Appreciate the rotating buckets idea, will be doing that for sure!

did you clone in plain water?if so the yellowing leafs should not be a problem.very common when cloning for the leaves to turn yellow when roots are being made.

They've actually been rooted for a week or more. I am actually concerned with the new growth. If you look at the newest node and leaves they are quite pale.

D

DHF

Hey DHF, what are these overflow screens for the ebb and grow buckets? thanks!
Ebb and flow table "overflow" screen fittings plumbed inline into the feed/drain holes to train and keep roots from growin down the holes and restricting flow......

Basically just a barrier for the roots to grow around the feed/drain holes instead of down into em....pretty simple actually...I used the largest size available at the time for my DIY 5 gal buckets which was 1"....

Hope that helps.....DHF.....:ying:.....

wantaknow

ruger 500
Veteran
a chiller for the rez and battery usp backup in between the plug in and controler buckets will save the contacts if there a power spike and keep you system from draining ,and raise the buckets off the floor if the retain h20 if it has 2 inches in the bottom raise it 2 inches ,so forth,good luck,feeding less is more ,rockwool floc or crutons work very well in this system

D

DHF

Never ran a chiller with my ebb and flow bucket flip rooms in over 5 yrs with dialed results cuz it wasn`t necessary.....and.......the bottom bucket leftover juice between feeds saved my ass on more than 1 occasion when power outages occurred so the plant`s "water roots" had something to live off of till the power was restored.......

Ebb and flow buckets are pretty much bulletproof as long as yas don`t try to grow a bigger rootmass than your container will hold resulting in all but ceased flow and imminent crop death without said constant flow for re-oxygenation to said rootzone.......

Matters not about solution temps with ebb and flow buckets cuz the majority of the rootmass is "above" solution left over in the bottom buckets ...if...

Yas don`t clog the feed/drainlines with roots that restrict flow.......anyways....

Holler if I can help.....DHF.....:ying:......

ballinjordanz

DHF this is a little off topic, but im new here and dont know how to private message you. You think 4k watts is over kille for an 8x8? THanks!

D

DHF

Yas gotta have 50 posts to send pm`s Bro......and....Rule of thumb for lighting needs is 50 watts per sq ft , but a dialed environment means waaay more than slingin lumens at the plants.....

Good luck....DHF.....:ying:.....

ballinjordanz

DHF the reservoir is in the same room as everything else is. Is there any easy way to cool it because the water temp is getting hot without buying a chiller? Possibly coating the black reservoir in mylar or some reflective material to reflect light instead of attract it? Thanks for any input ur so helpful!!!!!!!
Was also wondering any possible tricks, or better optimizations for the ebb monster that anyone has found worth doing. THANKS!!!!!

C

-Capfan-

DHF the reservoir is in the same room as everything else is. Is there any easy way to cool it because the water temp is getting hot without buying a chiller? Possibly coating the black reservoir in mylar or some reflective material to reflect light instead of attract it? Thanks for any input ur so helpful!!!!!!!
Was also wondering any possible tricks, or better optimizations for the ebb monster that anyone has found worth doing. THANKS!!!!!

Possibly insulate the res, some quick but not really anything reliable could be a few gallons of frozen water jugs in res?

Get the res out of the room ideally, or a chiller!! :D

D

DHF

Possibly insulate the res, some quick but not really anything reliable could be a few gallons of frozen water jugs in res?

Get the res out of the room ideally, or a chiller!! :D
Rez don`t belong in the grow area Bro...Good call Capfan......but...

Since the majority of the rootmass is "above" the flood line and essentially "air roots" , the roots in the bottom container being water/feeder roots do well in the leftover solution after each feed sequence as long as yas keep the juice highly oxygenated in the rez before it gets pumped into and sucked back out of the containers......

Powerhead pumps to keep shit stirred up and preventing precipitation/nutes fallin outta suspension and dropping to the bottom as sediment , and my lil trade secret.......

Keepalive.net for a "thru-hull bait aerator" to pump millions of microscopic bubles that stay suspended in solution compared to airstones or bublers that just off gas and float to the top.....and....

Highonmt will testify to it`s value in rez management if he sees this guaranteed......anyways......

Good luck.......DHF......:ying:......

I've run the ebb and gro buckets a bunch in warm rooms and never had a problem. maybe it was the smaller root systems on the hugos that I was growing but I never had problems with rot. hugos will grow bushes like 4x the size of the cube

Ymir

Hi DHF. First of all thanks for taking the time to spread your knowledge. I believe I'm going to either purchase the CAP Ebb & Flow or the CAP Monster setup and I'm glad I found this thread.

I went to keepalive.net and looked for the "thru-hull bait aerator" but I'm not seeing anything with that name.

The 2 things that look like possibilities are the "Thru Hull Oxygen Infusor" From this page: http://www.keepalive.net/thru-hull.htm

Or the KA500 here: http://www.keepalive.net/portable.htm

The KA500F says you can even pick it up out of the water...
"The Floater" is the most versatile aerator in our KeepAlive® Oxygen Infusor ® family of products. The Floater, while still running, it can be lifted and removed for easy bait selection.