What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

TS1000 eye protection

weedeasy

I do not look directly at the light as it is hanging at neck height. Sometimes when stooping I may glimpse it. Do I need those UV glasses?

troutman

Seed Whore
I wear a ball cap and polarized fishing glasses. The idea is to block as much light rays hitting your eyes and head as possible.

Maybe, a sombrero would be better than a ball cap. :laughing:

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
As troutman stated :) You don't need to look directly into the light (the most dangerous) but reflective light of the walls/floor etc... can still be harmful.

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
I do not look directly at the light as it is hanging at neck height. Sometimes when stooping I may glimpse it. Do I need those UV glasses?

It is better to wear a specilized LED glasses to protect eyes.

BTW, we are doing giveaway for SP3000, welcome to join in us. Still one week left.

Big M

Method 7 has some glasses made for full spectrum (not blurple) led's called LedFX. I picked up a pair of their cheaper version a few months back, and they are pretty nice. They work great outside in the sun, too. Method 7 claims they are also good for CMH, and that they block UV and infra red. They are really clear, with no distortion, and don't adjust the spectrum you see really. They just make things darker, but not too dark. I would definitely buy another pair if I lose or break this one.

weedeasy

Method 7 has some glasses made for full spectrum (not blurple) led's called LedFX. I picked up a pair of their cheaper version a few months back, and they are pretty nice. They work great outside in the sun, too. Method 7 claims they are also good for CMH, and that they block UV and infra red. They are really clear, with no distortion, and don't adjust the spectrum you see really. They just make things darker, but not too dark. I would definitely buy another pair if I lose or break this one.

Can you post the link to the pair you purchased please?

Mr. J

Ya those have been around forever. Us old-timers call them "sunglasses". You can but then anywhere and you don't have to pay $200 for a pair that works just fine. Designed for full spectrum light, you know, like the kind that comes out of the sun. Most people wear them while driving, but they work pretty much anywhere.

Mr. J

I wear a baseball cap and cheapo shades when I work with LED's, baseball cap and cheapo HPS glasses (basically just blue tinted shades that make things look less orange) under HPS. When I'm out and about in this stupid, ridiculous world I wear amber or rose tinted shades, makes things less depressing.

Big M

Hey weedeasy, I bought these: methodseven dot com/cultivator-fx/. They have some other options here: methodseven dot com/full-spectrum-led-grow-room-glasses. I changed the "." in .com to "dot" so it doesn't make a link. Wanted to make sure not to violate the terms of use here.

Mr. J, I agree with you. I have used sunglasses and a hat quite a bit through the years. I've also used shade 3 safety glasses at times. This is the first pair of "grow" glasses I've ever had. I would probably never spend $200 on anything without prescription lenses, but for $60, I figured why not. I like to treat myself sometimes, and have spent $40-50 on safety glasses a couple times.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
UV light is what makes the natural lenses in your eyes get yellowed and cracked, like the back window of an old British MG ragtop. That is called "cataracts". They can replace the eye lenses later in life if you want, but wearing UV protection is a damn good idea. I spent a lot of time on the water, and am glad I wore shades. And I still had to get my eye lenses replaced a few years ago.

Last edited:

Mr. J

UV light is what makes the natural lenses in your eyes get yellowed and cracked, like the back window of an old British MG ragtop. That is called "cataracts". They can replace the eye lenses later in life if you want, but wearing UV protection is a damn good idea. I spent a lot of time on the water, and am glad I wore shades. And I still had to get my eye lenses replaced a few years ago.
Which is a good reason to not start sticking UV diodes on these lights. It's really unnecessary.

Mr. J

Many people say UV can promote the resin of cannabis. Is it true?
I'm not sure if it's true. I've heard about it but I can't say that I know a lot about the subject. What I do know for sure is that the vast majority of growers could be doing 101 other things to tweak their grow and promote healthy plants and resin production before going and worrying about UV. A person could have the best no-UV lights in the world, but if they're only "okay" or "pretty good" at growing plants then I don't think that adding UV is going to push their buds to the next level if you know what I mean.