What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

GMT goes LED. TSL2000 Mars Hydro

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Well after a hot summer of HPS misery, I was fortunate enough to be granted a free mars hydro TSL 2000 LED grow light.
I had the choice of the TSL or the SP250 (which the manufactures label as their best indoor grow light). I watched the YouTube videos, and saw the SP had the mean well driver that everyone says is a must, and I saw all the fins for cooling, and it looked like a beautiful light that only an idiot would choose against. Then I chose the TSL 2000.
There are reasons, if not excuses for this madness. You see, the SP only has one driver. This means the heat is concentrated, whereas the TSL has 2. Which I'm hoping means only 60% of the heat from each. Additionally, I didn't see any mention of the SP being dimmable. That's important, esp in the extreme heat. And one big factor, is the TSL is an extra 50w of power, (when turned all the way up to 11, (spinal tap ref, the dial is actually in percentage.))
So hopefully you will understand why I did not choose their "best indoor grow light" when offered.

So, choice explained, a quick thankyou you the 4 groups of people who made this possible for me. Mars Hydro, icmag, unclefishstick and the people who complained about unclefishstick winning everything; who guilted him into offering up his prize to another entrant. Oh don't feel bad for him though, mars offered him the big brother light, so his generosity is being rewarded.

If you look at the YouTube videos, they show lights coming with extra freebies: soil pH spikes and and hydrometer. They weren't in my box, so I don't know if they are standard kit or if that's been stopped now. I'm certainly not complaining, I just don't know what to tell you to expect in the box.

I wish the packaging was a little more discrete, it says what's inside the box on the outside of the box. I'm glad my neighbours didn't receive the package. But at least it doesn't say hydroponics or grow light just light and model number. But Mars, couldn't you just lie and say aquarium hood or something, and if anyone complains, give it the old "sorry mistake in translation".

Not sure the currier you're using takes great care with their parcels, there were a number of significant dents in the reflector. But I bent them back out, which was easy to do, and its looking perfect. I'm looking for a screwdriver to turn the lights to 50% for first firing up. I'm always nervous with new stuff, don't like to stress test till safe test has been passed.

Anyway, I want to go and play, so back soon.
:woohoo:
:thank you:

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice one GMT,,
with these roasting summers becoming the norm it’s a good path to take,,
Our moby air con is just about holding lower temps but may need to add a humidifier next
time,,,
How much power does your new lamp put out in total ?
Best of luck mate,,,s2

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Its basically a 300w led to replace a 400w HPS. If you go by folk law, that should double yields for me, but I just want a straight 1:1 replacement with less heat, or at least more control over the heat. And how do you complain when its free :biggrin:
If it increases yields, great, but I suspect there will be a learning curve to get the best from it.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Its basically a 300w led to replace a 400w HPS. If you go by folk law, that should double yields for me, but I just want a straight 1:1 replacement with less heat, or at least more control over the heat. And how do you complain when its free :biggrin:
If it increases yields, great, but I suspect there will be a learning curve to get the best from it.

Exactly what I was looking for,,,
I started a thread a few weeks back asking for a definitive answer to ,,
can any plug and play LED or CM or quantum boards match the power of a 600 w sodium ( I use four in room 1 and three in room 2)
After talking to many hydro shops and answers to the thread,
I was told whatever I run? 600w is 600w and the heat will be the same,,,maybe a tad lower,,,
I look forward to your findings,
Regards s2

Well after a hot summer of HPS misery, I was fortunate enough to be granted a free mars hydro TSL 2000 LED grow light.
I had the choice of the TSL or the SP250 (which the manufactures label as their best indoor grow light). I watched the YouTube videos, and saw the SP had the mean well driver that everyone says is a must, and I saw all the fins for cooling, and it looked like a beautiful light that only an idiot would choose against. Then I chose the TSL 2000.
There are reasons, if not excuses for this madness. You see, the SP only has one driver. This means the heat is concentrated, whereas the TSL has 2. Which I'm hoping means only 60% of the heat from each. Additionally, I didn't see any mention of the SP being dimmable. That's important, esp in the extreme heat. And one big factor, is the TSL is an extra 50w of power, (when turned all the way up to 11, (spinal tap ref, the dial is actually in percentage.))
So hopefully you will understand why I did not choose their "best indoor grow light" when offered.

So, choice explained, a quick thankyou you the 4 groups of people who made this possible for me. Mars Hydro, icmag, unclefishstick and the people who complained about unclefishstick winning everything; who guilted him into offering up his prize to another entrant. Oh don't feel bad for him though, mars offered him the big brother light, so his generosity is being rewarded.

If you look at the YouTube videos, they show lights coming with extra freebies: soil pH spikes and and hydrometer. They weren't in my box, so I don't know if they are standard kit or if that's been stopped now. I'm certainly not complaining, I just don't know what to tell you to expect in the box.

I wish the packaging was a little more discrete, it says what's inside the box on the outside of the box. I'm glad my neighbours didn't receive the package. But at least it doesn't say hydroponics or grow light just light and model number. But Mars, couldn't you just lie and say aquarium hood or something, and if anyone complains, give it the old "sorry mistake in translation".

Not sure the currier you're using takes great care with their parcels, there were a number of significant dents in the reflector. But I bent them back out, which was easy to do, and its looking perfect. I'm looking for a screwdriver to turn the lights to 50% for first firing up. I'm always nervous with new stuff, don't like to stress test till safe test has been passed.

Anyway, I want to go and play, so back soon.
:woohoo:
:thank you:

Ya i dont think the best lights mars has is the sp models. I wood of chose tsw2000 over sp250. Back when i did own my ts1000 i like it but wished it was bigger in size and in watts. Also my ts1000 came to me too looking like hulk hogan gave it a leg drop b4 it arrived to me. Very dented and bent up. It took me a good 30mins of time to bend it back to how it shud of looked. Also my light had no labeling on the heat sheild that was bent. Others ive seen online says mars hydro on the diode side of light. Mine didnt have it like it was sum generic light knock off of a generic light?
I contacted mars to tell them my light was bent to all hell thinking theyd give me another light to replace dented one or thinkn theyd refund me at least half of cost of light being it came damaged. A week later i got email saying they wood do better in future on shipping??
Really? But what they did offer me cause it was dented was a whoping 5 percent discount code if id want another light? Lol.
From seeing how they didnt care bout my situation, i told myself then , that id never spend another dime with mars. So that why i at least tried to win the contest cause the light was free. But going by the rules of contest i posted everyday thinking i had a good chance.. But once they annouced the winner of light was same one who won tent, that told me it was a favortism packed contest. Im glad u won the light. Id of been more glad if it was me .lol. But next time il no not to waste my time in mars contests cause they arnt fair. Im glad u won it and not the same as one who won tent.

Starmstr

Whoosh like it sent vent to you on purpose? lite up and chill before you spill. As for the op your logic and understanding of the product has been misslead. The sp250 is adjustable. And as for two ballast what's the point half of a light foot print is? You guessed it half of what you had planned for. Less is never more.

Last edited:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Thanks for tagging along everyone. I will do pics, just since this is a light review, I'm still unsure how to frame the pics etc. I'll work something out.

944, I can say that 75% of the electric does not equal 75% of the heat, it is far less than that. I can't talk about performance yet though.

Mars, seriously, the screwdriver into a tiny hole thing to adjust power is not a good move. How much would it cost to connect those screws to a simple metal dial? £1 , £2, add it to the customers cost and they will thank you for it.
The addition of an on/off switch would add another quid or two, that no one would grumble about.
They are my only two gripes at the moment. I'm about to unplug for the night, and put the heating on for a couple more hours, its chilly, or perhaps I'm just acclimatized to HPS living now.

HalfArsedFarmer

Some good honest points GMT. Ones they should take on board

I did take a long hard look at their product but I just couldn't do it, for $500 I want a better built unit & a better warranty.

I'm interested to see how you go.
If you don't mind could you get some temps from the room, the normal high lows. I'm interested to see how much heat a 300w power draw LED kicks out.

I'm just finishing up what should be my last HPS grow before moving to a 315W draw LED which is supposed to be the equivalent of a 450W hps with the advantage of adding one more light to take it to a 600W equiv down the road as it's modular.

Last edited:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
HAF, I don't have anyway of measuring exact temps sorry. I can tell you that unlike the HPS, I have now turned the radiator in my room on again. The HPS was heating my room on its own, but I get no additional heating from this light. I have to get my hand within two inches to feel warmth from it. At the end of a 12 hour run, I can touch the metal casing for a 2 count and the drivers for a one count before I have to take my finger off. So they are getting hot, but not HPS hot. Also I have zero fans going right now, but the UK did take a turn to the chillier side the day it arrived, so a hot day will give me more info. There again, I'm not growing in a tent, and my space has an 18 inch gap the width of the grow space at the top for natural convection cooling.

One thing that is surprising to me though is that the plants appear to be using more water than normal. I always thought that I was losing moisture from the compost due to evaporation due to the heat of the HPS, but now its drying even faster. But its only been a few days, I'll confirm that observation later in the thread if it continues or discount it if they were just thirsty this week for some reason.

I have a free day tomorrow, and will get some pics up. Had to download a photo suite onto my phone and a meta data remover for security, then learn how to use them. My camera is 7mp my phone is 18mp and my laptop is full of the can of coke I spilled into the keyboard. So my phone will be doing the heavy lifting from now on for the pics.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Starm, I tried to rep you for the lux info, but I'll helpful the post instead, it appears I've been too generous in the last 24

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
I promised pics today, bare with me as I get to grips with the low level software I have on this phone. Its so much better working in Photoshop, but at times we make do.
The biggest dent on arrival, quickly bent back again, no problem.
picture.php

Light leeks cause hetmies! Yeah right lol, I have 1 or 2 that don't seem to matter
picture.php

Here what the plants are looking at
picture.php

How's it hanging? Like this, oh and another light leek showing my passive cooling vent
picture.php

Now we need something to track. The first bud started life under my old 400w HPS, so its not really a good choice, but it will finish first so may as well watch.
picture.php

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Had to break it up, damn 5 pics limit rule and 60 second wait period!!!! Grrrrrrr!!!

A bit closer
picture.php

And the same clone starting flower.
picture.php

For ref, the clone being featured in these posts is the Gelato 45

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Tagging along!
Just put a Ts1000 in my mini set up and liking it so far.
Looks good and continued good luck sir
CC

HalfArsedFarmer

Thanks for the info GMT.

I did think that I would be using my heating tubes a lot more than with the HPS, the pay off should be a better quality product & healthier plants due to the light spectrum.

I'll just make a comment on the build, it really does look like they had a ton of £15 reflectors left and said fcuk it I'm not throwing those away, we'll shoe horn them into the design.