Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Botany and Advanced Growing Science > RECENT interesting findings

Thread Title Search
RECENT interesting findings Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-20-2017, 08:18 PM #321
Sam_Skunkman
"RESIN BREEDER"

Sam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivor
I do agree that environmental influences can change the ratios, I have seen the same clone do this all dependent on the environment. But to see a major terpene appear or disappear is something I have not seen like this example. I am suspect to say the least. I have seen some of the major testing labs get results that was not correct, I know because the identical clone sample was sent to half a dozen labs and they were not all the same results, some identified peaks as the wrong terpene, as well some are using HPLC to test for terpenes when all the major terpene labs use GC-FID or some GC-MS. As well some labs test time for runs is much faster then we used, we wanted clear separation between peaks we wanted the best results we could get, they are driven by maximizing the amount of samples that can be run in a day. You decide what you would want.
-SamS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sativied View Post
That appears to be greengenes' test result. No controls, no consistency in growing, no repeat results, could be a lot of other things. On the other hand, I would not be surprised at all if environmental influences can change the ratios to a point where one is not detected. Unless you can reproduce the results it's rather meaningless.

There is plenty of research that shows certain light recipes and intensity as well as nutrient availability heavily influence secondary metabolites production.
Sam_Skunkman is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:53 AM #322
Nirrity
taken by samsara

Nirrity is just really niceNirrity is just really niceNirrity is just really niceNirrity is just really niceNirrity is just really niceNirrity is just really niceNirrity is just really niceNirrity is just really niceNirrity is just really niceNirrity is just really niceNirrity is just really nice
Sam_S, Sativied, thank you for setting this straight.

Yep this test picture is from greengenes.

So Sam_S, if there is any particular way to increase overall terpene content? The way i interpret your previous post is that the terpene content is genetically determined, is that correct?

Let me use this example. These are the tests of the same hybrid coming from the same dispensary. I don't know if they run the same clone. It is my assumption that they may do, because the terpene ratios look almost identical. But terpene content is drastically different on all 3 samples. That draw me to the question if some environmental factor played a role here? Is there a way to boost terpenes' content from 2% to 5%?

icmag compresses pictures so you don't see readings here's external pictures

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slh-1.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	408375 Click image for larger version

Name:	slh-2.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	408376 Click image for larger version

Name:	slh-3.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	408377

Last edited by Nirrity; 04-22-2017 at 11:43 AM..
Nirrity is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:34 AM #323
Medfinder
Chemon 91

Medfinder is a survivorMedfinder is a survivorMedfinder is a survivorMedfinder is a survivorMedfinder is a survivorMedfinder is a survivorMedfinder is a survivorMedfinder is a survivorMedfinder is a survivorMedfinder is a survivorMedfinder is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr33nSanta View Post
I own some 3000k, 3500k and 4000k, I like to mix em all, I also have a few old blurples in the mix. It is said that the red increase yield while the blue to some extent increase resin production.

Since I am trying to grow resin I never even tried growing with the 3000k alone. I get great results from the 3500k by themselves or mixing the 3000k and the 4000k. I have also seen great results mixing 4000k and 5000k in flowering but more testing is required.

most leds I use are cxb3590, vero 29 and also I have some other older and newer tech. I mix em all, 100% LEDs in flower, since 2011

interesting that man has made such an impact on all cannabis due to the GREED of products that could be replaced by hemp and sativa l

when america goes fully legal then we will see the bio agro companies really impact cultivars and landrace cannabis.

as far as light impact studies determining profile in genetic and genotype regulation of chemical production there are studies but with money possibly tainting outcomes we need verified testing through unbiased sources.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=371388

Seedsman Blue Ice OG Feminized grow

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=371314

Chemwalker..and other crosses using Chem 91 skva..
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=341865

Genesis 1:29 (KJV)
29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.

Matthew 28:18-20 King James Version (KJV)
18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
Medfinder is offline Quote

Old 04-22-2017, 02:21 PM #324
angelgoob

angelgoob is just really niceangelgoob is just really niceangelgoob is just really niceangelgoob is just really niceangelgoob is just really niceangelgoob is just really niceangelgoob is just really niceangelgoob is just really niceangelgoob is just really niceangelgoob is just really niceangelgoob is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirrity View Post
Sam_S, Sativied, thank you for setting this straight.

Yep this test picture is from greengenes.

So Sam_S, if there is any particular way to increase overall terpene content? The way i interpret your previous post is that the terpene content is genetically determined, is that correct?

Let me use this example. These are the tests of the same hybrid coming from the same dispensary. I don't know if they run the same clone. It is my assumption that they may do, because the terpene ratios look almost identical. But terpene content is drastically different on all 3 samples. That draw me to the question if some environmental factor played a role here? Is there a way to boost terpenes' content from 2% to 5%?

icmag compresses pictures so you don't see readings here's external pictures

View Image View Image View Image
using more light and using bug dunks (plants think bugs are attacking it) maybe.
angelgoob is offline Quote

Old 04-22-2017, 04:12 PM #325
Sam_Skunkman
"RESIN BREEDER"

Sam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivor
I have met very few without a bias, it is almost the nature of man.
But maybe I am biased to think this way?
-SamS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medfinder View Post
interesting that man has made such an impact on all cannabis due to the GREED of products that could be replaced by hemp and sativa l

when america goes fully legal then we will see the bio agro companies really impact cultivars and landrace cannabis.

as far as light impact studies determining profile in genetic and genotype regulation of chemical production there are studies but with money possibly tainting outcomes we need verified testing through unbiased sources.

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:50 PM #326
Londinium

Londinium is a glorious beacon of lightLondinium is a glorious beacon of lightLondinium is a glorious beacon of lightLondinium is a glorious beacon of lightLondinium is a glorious beacon of lightLondinium is a glorious beacon of lightLondinium is a glorious beacon of lightLondinium is a glorious beacon of lightLondinium is a glorious beacon of lightLondinium is a glorious beacon of lightLondinium is a glorious beacon of light
lol /\
"To maintain or breed a Landrace you need a minimum of 2,000 plants 1,000 females, 1,000 males or every reproduction you will lose genes and be working with a slice of the variety not the landrace.Cannabis is a Heterogenous Dioecious Obligate Outcrosser.It is easy to make seeds, hard to breed correctly". -SamS.

IC 420 Cup 2017 Growers Cup-Mostly Sativa

1st place- "Ting" by Londinium

3rd place- "Chilton Lime's" by Londinium
Londinium is offline Quote

Old 05-07-2017, 02:49 PM #327
Gr33nSanta

Sam, you call CBD the anti-weed (or something similar) , like CBD is your biggest enemy. But what do you think of using CBD in lieu of tolerance break? I find if I smoke high CBD cultivars for a couple of days in a row, and then smoke a high THC cultivar, I get so so high from it.

Old 05-07-2017, 03:02 PM #328
Sam_Skunkman
"RESIN BREEDER"

That makes sense to me, but what I smoke is so strong I do not have problem with tolerance I assure you I can easily get medicated as a kite everyday with no problem. If you find it handy then use it. I have no need to adjust my tolerance, as long as I have great resin. I think you may know I do not smoke herbal Cannabis.
-SamS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr33nSanta View Post
Sam, you call CBD the anti-weed (or something similar) , like CBD is your biggest enemy. But what do you think of using CBD in lieu of tolerance break? I find if I smoke high CBD cultivars for a couple of days in a row, and then smoke a high THC cultivar, I get so so high from it.

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:31 PM #329
Gr33nSanta

can you name a few cultivars that produce your great resin? I am sure you have access to the best of the best but which ones do you rarely go a week without smoking? any of your old varieties still in rotation in your own garden?

Old 05-07-2017, 05:30 PM #330
bsgospel

bsgospel has much to be proud ofbsgospel has much to be proud ofbsgospel has much to be proud ofbsgospel has much to be proud ofbsgospel has much to be proud ofbsgospel has much to be proud ofbsgospel has much to be proud ofbsgospel has much to be proud ofbsgospel has much to be proud ofbsgospel has much to be proud ofbsgospel has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Skunkman View Post
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/art...l.pone.0173911

Terpene synthases from Cannabis sativa
Judith K. Booth, Jonathan E. Page, Jörg Bohlmann
Published: March 29, 2017https://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.017391

I liked this paper because I bred FINOLA, will be interesting when they do the same with more Cannabis varieties that yield closer to 10% terpenes, instead of the normal 1-2% terpenes found in most. They also show work with Skunk #1 and Purple Kush, I did not breed Purple Kush, I think I did all the others. Breeding for terpene profiles and %'s will be the future, work like this a very small step in that direction.
-SamS
That is cool- and further I'm glad that we're getting more information on so many more secondary pathways and isoprenylation in cannabis specifically. Identifying each pathway and their corresponding terpene expression is huge.

"The present study highlights the large number of CsTPS genes and the diverse products of the encoded TPS enzyme activities, which contribute to the complex terpene profiles of cannabis. The knowledge of multigene nature of the CsTPS family and the often multiple products of the encoded enzymes will be critical when selecting or breeding, or improving plants by genome editing, for particular terpene profiles for standardized cannabis varieties. While cannabinoid-free individuals have occasionally been reported [48], we are not aware of any reports in the literature of terpene-free cannabis. In this study, we observed a single monoterpene-free individual, which however still contained cannabinoids and sesquiterpenes. This observation implies that biosynthesis of the different classes of terpenoid metabolites are independently regulated."