What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

12/12 From Seed: A Different Way To Grow

B

buzzed day

mid 60 i think,i don't think i would get to much colder but someone else may know better.mayby a little less air movement at dark time or pull in some warmer air.look at some different post for ideals.i have a hookup on mine that moves and can be put next to heater or window depending on what i need.peace

Quote:
Make sure your tube lights(fluro's) hang as close to the seedlings as possible (a couple of centimeters)! A 400 watt lamp can be hung as low as 45 cm and a 600 watt lamp as low as 55 cm.

Don't be afraid, the seedlings can very well handle this, even though a good movement of air underneath the lamp is very important (ventilator!).

Make sure you spray in time, until the hull, that may come up when the seed germinates, has dropped off, as well as the protective film which envelopes the seed. This is necessary to prevent the hull and protective film to dry out, which sometimes result in sticking to the germinating seedling, which as a consequence, is hampered in it's development. Stop spraying water when all seedlings are overground, too allow for your seedlings to work at maximum efficiency underground. Offering too much humidity to the leaf often results in a less developed rootsystem. Contrary to clones, seedlings have a reasonable resistance to dry air. When using germinating trays, things often go wrong because of excessive heat and humidity.

Because we germinate and grow our seeds indoors on a warm medium, the plants tend to shoot up rather thinly, which causes weak and excessively high plants. This can only be prevented by hanging the lights as low as possible.

Lowering soil temperature could be an option, if it weren't for the growing speed we don't want to lose.

The biggest mistake being made is: not bringing the light close enough to the developing seedling!

Remember that the first two to three hours partly determine the rest of the plant's life!

i was reading this, and i think this could actually have been my problem. My lights were way too far for the first week or so of growth, could that possible stunt them for the rest of their growth? I have had the lights in a perfect position for about 10 days, and my plants are 20 days old and still seem to be way too small, still looking like seedlings. I'm going to get pictures on here soon, but any help is appreciated until then.

G

Dr Herbivore said:
I have had the lights in a perfect position for about 10 days, and my plants are 20 days old and still seem to be way too small, still looking like seedlings. I'm going to get pictures on here soon, but any help is appreciated until then.

what do you mean like seedlings? pics asap! :)
when you have lights that close to your plants, they don't strech.
they stay small with short inter nodes and they're growing wide.
that's a good thing.

jrw

Microcab, 2x125W 2700K CFL (82W per sqft.), organic soilmix (blood, bone n kelp + dolomite lime and basalt meal)

I grow 12/12 from seed as I like to experiment and because I want to go through a lot of strains fast. And because I dont have a mom-box :)

What I have learnt so far is that this method of growing - with its risk and dead-ends - yields enough to keep me happy and with a growing stash.

My next project is pure Sativas (12+ wks) 12/12 from seed and individually scrogged. I plan on ending up with 4 females each from different strains. Should be good.

I also included a snap of my cabinet - 35 inches from floor to ceiling :)

--

- Unknown Outdoor Cross (mine) from this season, harvested at day 59 from above soil, 12/12 from seed, 1 liter milk cartons.

IMG_1988_apollo11_5151Small.jpg

IMG_1987_apollo11_5151Small.jpg

- Apollo 11, day 51, 12/12 from seed, she's been neglected and rootbound for long but now recovering, 3 liter TEKU pot.

- My cabinet. You also see 3 Lemon Swiss x Godzilla Grapes (breederbrad) inthere

Take care everybody and remember growing isn't all about YIELD... :friends:

Last edited:
H

herbie5000

i've got some sativa strains i'm thinking of growing 12/12 from seed. these are (1) western winds (2) sam skunkmans t*haze x skunk#1 and (3) double strawberry diesel. does anyone have any experience with any of these strains and do you think they'd do ok under 12/12 from seed?

any info much appreciated. thanks

ps they'd be under a 600w hps in soil

Last edited:

jrw

herbie5000 said:
i've got some sativa strains i'm thinking of growing 12/12 from seed. these are (1) western winds (2) sam skunkmans t*haze x skunk#1 and (3) double strawberry diesel. does anyone have any experience with any of these strains and do you think they'd do ok under 12/12 from seed?

any info much appreciated. thanks

ps they'd be under a 600w hps in soil

Dont think, grow :dueling:

You might wanna check out motaco's thread on growing Sativas. Pure knowledge right at you! :D
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=66603&highlight=sativa+ultimate

mofeta

Veteran
Very nice grow jrw! You say it's not about yield, but those three buds look like they would dry to about 5-8 g. each to me. If 40 or so of those milk cartons fit in your cab you would be pushing 1 g./watt. Harvesting every 59 days, you would be kicking ass!

... harvested at day 59 from above soil...

That's very quick. Were they fully mature, or did you take them early? What day did they first show sex?

Thanks for the great report!

Rob547

East Coast Grower
Veteran
I've recently become interested in the whole 12/12 method. I started a plant maybe 10 days ago, just thrown into my flower room under a 23w daylight cfl. and 2 floro tubes of flowering spectrum. Its going really really slowly, which is understandable but still

any advice for a new experimenter? Heres a pic from day 8. I recently transplanted it though, hopefully that will help it out. btw its just a bagseed from a recent bag of mids.

jrw

mofeta said:
Very nice grow jrw! You say it's not about yield, but those three buds look like they would dry to about 5-8 g. each to me. If 40 or so of those milk cartons fit in your cab you would be pushing 1 g./watt.
IMO g/W calculations doesn't make sense unless you include time as a factor, but you're right, the system has a potential to high yields... :D It's important to pack as many plants as possible inthere. From seed, one would need 60 seeds to get 40 females which is an unrealistic amount unless you make every grow a seed grow, which of course would be exciting :D

mofeta said:
That's very quick. Were they fully mature, or did you take them early? What day did they first show sex?
They were mature. 50% cloudy, the rest clear and amber. The females showed at day 16-18 :D I dont know the strain, as its a cross of two danish outdoor strains which I got in a freebie outdoor mix. Hehe. They sure are Indica-dom though... I would've liked to have given one of them 1.5 or 2 liters of soil to see what difference that would have made. Probably some. It's also important to note, that the Unknown-DK-Outdoor-Cross plants were located in the outer range of the light, because I thought the LS x GG to be more important :canabis:

Btw, check out my LS x GG females at day 71 12/12. Vegged for ONE week :nono:

- 3 liter TEKU pots, organic soil, bubbled water + seaweed extract

:2cents:

Last edited:

mofeta

Veteran
jrw said:
IMO g/W calculations doesn't make sense unless you include time as a factor,...

I agree completely. If you got a 1g/watt, but it took you 6 months, you wouldn't be getting much. Thats why I said:

mofeta said:
Harvesting every 59 days, you would be kicking ass!

jrw said:
From seed, one would need 60 seeds to get 40 females which is an unrealistic amount unless you make every grow a seed grow, which of course would be exciting :D

One of the buds in your hand upthread, pollinated at the peak of bloom could easily throw 60 seeds. At 60 days per cycle, you would need to pollinate only 6 of those for a whole year's supply of seed. If you sacrificed one 60 day cycle to just seed, you would have enough seed for you and all your friends for years.

jrw said:
They were mature. 50% cloudy, the rest clear and amber. The females showed at day 16-18 :D...It's also important to note, that the Unknown-DK-Outdoor-Cross plants were located in the outer range of the light...

Wow! That's really good! Have you smoked it yet? If it has a good high that would be a outstanding strain.

Great Job! Thanks for the quick, friendly response!

newgroer420

I'm very intrigued by this technique and think I will incorporate it into the grow I am currently planning. Can anyone estimate for me how large a res I will need if I try to go DWC with this method? The strain I'm growing is Golden Skunk (it's a Skunk #1 x Acapulco Gold I believe) if that matters. Would a gallon be enough? Two?

Thanks for all the good info!

K

kidkannabis

damn looking nice jrw.....real nice.How many grams did you get off those 1 liter outdoor mix?? i have a SADPxSkunk1 growing in a half gallon which im ScrOGing

.hopefully mine buds like yours...what nutes do you recommend for a begginer?

jrw

mofeta,
You're right about everything. Hehe. The potency is real nice but the "high" is very stoney. Not something I like for daytime smoking or socializing. Yesterday I puffed a lil spliff after ended chores and I looked as if I had been on a drinking-rampage for 4 days. Red eyes and whatnot. That's simply not my kind of weed right now. Which is also the reason Im gonna go for pure Sativas to get things in perspective :D

kidkannabis,
I dont weigh. The yield is not 5-8 grams per plant. Well, maybe 5 but not 8 :D With hardcore Indicas like these veg will give you so much more. If grown 12/12 from seed - PACK 'EM! :joint:

DOWNLOW

hey I dont know if this a stupid question or not but wat if I eva want a

clone when eva a mother/clone became available to me would hurt me in this

method if i took clone. I keep cumming up wit males so if i got lucky and

hit sum fems I persaonally need to keep it so cud I

stikik22

any growing 12/12 from seed with just CFL.....i have closet grow going and im growing kong, afghani and various bag seed. i have about 700 watts avaible, but using 5 100 watt warmwhit cfl for one seedliing and an afghani i saved from my last grow that went wrong, the 11 bag seeds sprouted nov 11 and one has shown sex,

Latest posts

Latest posts