What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Most potent strains

bioguy

I was reading the last two years High Times worlds strongest strains and came across a comment about chem dawg that got me thinking.

The article said out of 300 entries only 31 had 20% THC or higher and 22 of the 31 had Chem Dawg in their history somewhere. It basically gives the "most potent lineage" award to Chem Dawg.
No surprise there.

What it does not say, is what are the other strains. I decided to do the work and share it.

The Strains without any Chem Dawg are:
1) Durban Poison
2) G-13 x Widow
3) Golden Goat ( Island Sweet Skunk x Hawaiian x Romulan)
4) Dr. Grinspoon (Heirloom Sativa)
5) Blue Dream (Blueberry Haze)
6) LA Confidential (pressuming the OG La Affie is not a real OG)
7) Diamond Girl’s (Early Pearl x Skunk x Northern Lights)
8) Super Lemon Haze
9) Boost (Sweet Tooth, NL, NorCal Blueberry)
10) Strawberry Cough
11) Cracker Jack (G-13 x Jack Herer)
12) Cactus (Dutch Treat x NL)
13) Cobra (Malawi x NL)
14) Dark Star (Hindu/Afghan)

Mostly this is just an FYI because when people ask "whats the best" the thread always goes haywire. But I am also skeptical about giving the award the strongest lineage to Chem Dawg.

First we don't know what CD's lineage is. It could be Durban Blueberry Haze for all we know (probably not but its history is unknown).

Second the list has a land race, a couple land race hybrids and several with NL and Skunk (one of the oldest stable hybrids). It may be that CD is so popular way more entries tilted the results in its favor.

Third, cracker jack and cactus are pure old school dutch genetics.

I am not trying to downplay how amazing CD and its kids are but this may shed some light on something somehow. In the 90's when Chem Dawg came around NL, G-13, Jack Herer, Widow, Skunk and Afghan were extremely popular strains and dominated the market. This leads me to believe that at least one of them parented the Chem Dawg. I say parented because I don't think the weed Chem Dawg bought was like the Chem Dawg he got from the seeds (can someone correct me if this is wrong)
Speculation 1: unknown indica strain (Kush, HP or NL?)
Speculation 2: Nepali x Thai
The first seems way more likely.

Anyway...if you plan on doing any Chem Dawg crosses I suspect on of the strains above would be a no brainer

bioguy

no super silver haze?

Yeah its there. Its the haze half of the blue dream. Also shows up crossed with sour d (but thats part of the 21 with CD in them).

"Haze" shows up a few times w/o CD and a lot in CD crosses. Neville's and SSH are the go to haze strains for breeding and I think SSH came from Neville's...not sure which was used in the rest but I think Ghost Train Haze is a Neville's haze based strain. One of the two definitly belongs on the "strongest list". It also proves my point about number of entries. I promise nobody entered the Original Haze and.... CD entries outnumbered all Haze by 6 to 1 (or more). Is this because Haze is not strong...no.

This is why I stop short of giving "best line" to CD. If some day we find out CD = SSH x Bag Seed x AK we would have to guess it was the SSH that made it so bomb (more likely than bag seed or a strain not on the list of big guns). This is just a random analogy but you see the point.

I think in the next few years the truth will emerge since PCR analysis is getting cheap and real science pouring into the industry. The full story will probably never be told but PCR would narrow things down a lot.

Bongstar420

How do we know that Chemdog has on relation to those other varities. I've seen research papers showing that is a series of THC genes and supporting genes that have to be consolidated from multiple pools to get the super high output stuff. I might be willing to wager that most any Super will find some relation (according to genetic analysis) to the rest of the Super out there or it couldnt make it to the status of Super. Ive got some Bright Moments BTW> linage is stated to be a Chemdawg derivative. So you can chalk another one up to that crystal laden slut.

symbiote420

Veteran
I was just talking about this subject with some forum bros .....after I just finished growing ndnguy's '88 G13/HP, which originally were a limited release by The Seed Bank Holland (Neville) as G13 x Hashplant/NL #1 F-1 Hybrid, I think it could possibly be a/the source of the Chem phenomenon!

p1
winter grow 2013 005.jpg

p4
029.jpg

p6
015.jpg

Smells and looks eerily "Chemmy" to me!

PWF

there is no nl in ndnguys g13/hashplant.
that is the whole reason for the "pre'88" designation.
no dutch ever touched the g13xhashplant that ndnguy has.
I was just talking about this subject with some forum bros .....after I just finished growing ndnguy's '88 G13/HP, which originally were a limited release by The Seed Bank Holland (Neville) as G13 x Hashplant/NL #1 F-1 Hybrid, I think it could possibly be a/the source of the Chem phenomenon!

p1
View attachment 246317

p4
View attachment 246318

p6
View attachment 246319

Smells and looks eerily "Chemmy" to me!

bigherb

Veteran

Im pretty sure Symbiote is correct ,If both G13 an hp were clone only an we know about the HpxNl1 cross .Also no sure your notion of No NL in 88 it might have been in nevils hands by 87 Remember all the NL5 Haze crosses an the Sensi seeds HazexNL1 release

Check the link below
http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/62819-post85.html

1luvbigherb

symbiote420

Veteran

Yeah big bro (ndnguy) flipped when I told him that too! lol ....I really try not to talk/post about things I'm not sure of!! bigherb you hit it dead on, both G13 & Hashplant are/were clone only, Neville took a NL #1 male and crossed it to the Hashplant cut ....then a Hashplant x NL #1 male pollinated the G13 cut before Neville lost it, there are only a few crosses with real G13 genetics used before that and they are this Ghash, G13xHaze, G13xNL#1, G13xSkunk, and ....the Sensi Seeds version might not have G13 or NL in it, maybe a cross of the G13 was used because it's been highly speculated that it's probably not the real deal.

These were a limited release that only appeared in the Seed Bank's catalogue for two years '88 & '89 .....I believe it's after that time that Neville lost the real G13 cut and that's why!

http://en.**********.eu/strain-info/G13_x_Hash_Plant_F1_Hybrid/The_Seed_Bank/

Discorilla

I'm interested to see what the real deal G13 cut looks like. I've got a G13 cut that isn't named g13 Hashplant or g13 Haze. This plant is a fricken monster, and it's the only one I've had that could veg for 2 weeks, and still end up being a beast in flower. The guy I grabbed it from said he could trace it back at least 15 years.

PWF

you are saying hashplant was clone-only but it wasnt.
nl was clone only too.
by your minds thinking these plants were never seed and seeds were never made of them.
but that is only going by dutch history of those variety.
you are completely ignoring the fact that nevil got these from somebody. maybe the american grower or group of growers did more than just give nevil some clones. you imply american growers didnt make their own seeds. he took clones overseas. he made crosses after he got there. that is the history you are trying to lay over the whole line but the lines split. you dont know shit about the plant yet when an elder tells you exactly the truth you call him a liar.
there is no nl in the g13/hp im running. i have tried mrnice from 2 sources, mns and sensi. both are very peppery/spicy. nothing like the plants im finding.
contempt closes minds.
keep believing what you want but there is no nl in ndnguys pre88g13/hp

symbiote420

Veteran
nl was clone only too.
by your minds thinking these plants were never seed and seeds were never made of them.
you are completely ignoring the fact that nevil got these from somebody. maybe the american grower or group of growers did more than just give nevil some clones. you imply american growers didnt make their own seeds. he took clones overseas. he made crosses after he got there. that is the history you are trying to lay over the whole line but the lines split. you dont know shit about the plant yet when an elder tells you exactly the truth you call him a liar.
there is no nl in the g13/hp im running. i have tried mrnice from 2 sources, mns and sensi. both are very peppery/spicy. nothing like the plants im finding.
contempt closes minds. [Ditto]

WTH are you even talking about???? .....1) I never called you a liar! ...but that's basically what you've just called me! 2) I know all plants come from seed lol, I might be slow but not that re re ....3) I never gave the Dutch cred for jackshit, sounds like someone maybe a li'l grumpy and needs to take a nap or go get lifted ...something!! Elders have to give respect to get it where I'm from! ...and I don't wanna fight with ya over this I don't log in to spread misinformation or bang dicks, I'm hear to learn, share, and marvel over these beautiful plants peeps are talking about & posting, nothing else PWF!

Ndnguy told me himself that he purchased the beans from The Seed Bank Holland , after going thru their caty several times and I never found a straight up G13 x Hashplant being sold, only G13 x Hashplant F-1 Hybrid ...which definitely has NL #1 in it!!! And fwiw my p6 smells just like old school NL!!

* G13 x (Hash Plant x NL1) is the break down ......even the HP version Sensi sells is Hash Plant x NL!!

If there's no NL in yours then that's good for you. I've tried Mr. Nice before too, not what I got at all .....I'm not as young as you're thinking either, I got a tad over 4 decades on this planet and 25 of em have been around Mary so I'm not the young uneducated punk you're thinking I am!

bigherb

Veteran
nl was clone only too.
contempt closes minds.

Brother no reason for anger or negativity or negative reps to folk who were tryin to be helpful

We are all here for the same reason (well most of us) to share info an our experiences an opinions

If your an elder you might recall Nevil never posted online till recently an has hsared much insight an detail about his work

Yes all Elites came from seed but the Famed G13 an Hp of the 80's were Clones an this is common knowledge in the community

I shared a link in my other post ,here is another quote from the same thread more detailed .If you dont believe me maybe you will believe the man who created the strain we speak of

When I first got the NL varieties, there were 8 types, 1-8.
They came with descriptions, which I published in my catalogue. These descriptions may not correlate with what later developed. The original intention was to purchase seeds from the US NL growers. It didn't work out and supply dried up. I kept the lines separate and inbred them. NL1 and NL2 stabilised into distinct types and NL5 only produced one unique individual.
NL1 was a full blood Afghan indica. One thick main stem, dark green leaves, modest yield with nuggety buds, a little coarse with good resin production, which when ripe went golden. The high was narcotic. The seeds ranged from tiny to massive. I used to love the big ones. Large fat heavily and darkly mottled seeds. Selecting for these seeds made this Afghan even coarser. It was fun to show people these seeds.
The best line of NL1 actually came from the smaller seeded types, better high and bud structure.
There weren't many pure indica lines around in those days. Big Bud, Hash Plant and G13 were pure indicas in my estimation, but were cuttings. NL1 was the only good pure Afghani male line I had.( there was Sams Afghani#1, but that was toxic in a bad way) The NL2 was a Kush.
I put the NL1 out there as a pure strain. I wasn't popular. People would tell me, "give me the pure strains", but if it cost them 10% of their yield they would complain, well try 50%.
The pure indica hybrids were more popular. NL1 x HP and NL1 x G13 were the best. At least people could use the word pure (very popular). But they were good!

I expect that a lot of people holding what they believe to be pure indicas today, would find, if the truth be known, that the sire line traces back to NL1.
N.

BTW MNS never sold a G13/Hp maybe you refer to G13HzC or G13Sk Gor 13ww

Post #5 below shows descriptions which mentions G13 n Hp as a cutting an Nl1 as seedline

http://www.420magazine.com/forums/p...s-1980-s-rare-archival-images.html#post650503

1luvbigherb

Last edited:

The Hatter

Veteran
A good thing to keep in mind is that the THC % that most of the labs report is not necessarily a measure of a strain's overall potency. The number they give you in the most common tests only tells you what the proportional breakdown of the resin is far as its THC's content. In other words that % number the labs give you isn't a measure of how much resin is in the bud but rather a measure of the quality and composition of that resin.

You could have a bud with literally only a few dozen trichs scattered across the entire thing but if those trichs contain a high percentage of THC then the bud would score a very high % THC score despite the fact it is incredibly weak smoke due to the poor amount of resin.

The tests that have far more meaning are the ones that correlate the total % THC in the sample as a ratio comparing it to the entire sample's weight. Those tests tend to come back under 10% for even the truly most potent of strains. The thing that will throw these tests off is the variance in the sample taken. You will get a very different % score from the same bud if you sample a bit of stem or sugar leaf vs a calax. The advantage of the tests that just look at the content of the resins is that resin is a bit more consistent although it too will vary with the age of the trichome, exposure to the elements etc.

The other misleading thing about these tests is that the psychoactive properties of cannabis aren't just due the THC content but rather the entire complex stew of cannabaniods and terpenes that come with it.

I guess my point was simply that although the tests do tell us useful things about a strain they aren't the end all and be all when it comes to quantifying potency. In the end it is subjective and involves countless variables. The best way to tell if a strain is potent is simply to try it.

GreeeeN GRassss

duppy conqueror
Veteran
every breeder will advertise that they have "the strongest strain", i dont really belive all the hype but i do have 4 dark star two weeks into flower so lets wait and see ;)

bioguy

You could have a bud with literally only a few dozen trichs scattered across the entire thing but if those trichs contain a high percentage of THC then the bud would score a very high % THC score despite the fact it is incredibly weak smoke due to the poor amount of resin.

I am so glad you said it. I have suspected this for years. I even said it once but then questioned how I knew it...stopped saying it. If I recall correctly the percents are based on percent of voc. Without also reporting what percent that was voc the values are worthless.

But....these strains were selected for their quality not just THC. Regardless of the actual THC these strains were chosen because the rock and because they had 20%+ THC.