What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

any lowfat ideas on butter or is oil ok

Smelly_Cheese

been cooking some and experimenting with butter and oil.
I have been cooking batches of oil lately just sauteing buds/trim in canola oil until browned then pressing thru a screen and im done. Everything says use butter but oil has been easier to deal with and i have a colorie counting person who donst want to eat loads of butter all the time but prefers eating to smoking

1.Any reason i should not use oil and is a lower fat oil ok? how about smart balance blend? Ho long should i cook it and at what temp?

2. if oil is ok do i need to refrig it or is room temp ok?

3. If oil is ok is about 1 cup(8 ounce) per oz of bud/trim ok?

4. If butter can i concentrate it more making it need a lower amount of butter.

darklands

4. Yes, you can definitely concentrate your cannabutter by minimizing the amount of butter you start with. A good rule of thumb is to use only enough butter to evenly coat your weed while sauteeing it at low heat. The weed should absorb all of the melted butter--if you see a pool of unabsorbed butter at the bottom of the pan, you've used too much. Made properly, a quarter teaspoon of this cannabutter will get you wasted. Incidentally, coconut oil is better than butter IMHO.

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Cannamilk, you can make it super strong then just consume a small, low calorie portion. I count calories too.

Hi Smelly_Cheese :)

1) Oil is great, a lighter oil like safflower or canola oil will hold a little less ganja while heavier oils like olive and peanut oil really grab on to the plant matter and it takes a lot to press out the oil, where canola and safflower practically drain themselves, just to give you an idea of the different oil "weights" if you will.

I would not ever use smart balance, or even earth balance, because of how much water is actually a part of those products. I would guess you would have problems with spoilage trying to store medicine that way... it might separate weird as well because of all the different ingredients in smart balance and fake butters... not a "fixed" oil or consistent product.

You should *slowly* and gently heat your dry medicine and your oil together. Nothing should be brown. If you're not sure how hot its getting, you could warm it for 20 min and turn it off... repeat a few times. I use a potato masher and mash briskly yet sort of gently so I don't splash hot oil around, each time I heat up the oil before I let it sit overnight on the stove, covered. I heat once or twice more in the morning then let it cool a final time. As far as temperature goes, there are a lot of variables that could determine which temperature is right for what you are making. I use raw, virgin coconut oil, and in my case, I don't heat it above 105 degrees because I want it to remain in its raw state. In the case of canola oil, it could take just a little more heat. Most agree that below around 270 is ideal and above that temperature (might research the exact temp, as its debated) is the point at which the thc in the product is compromised, and begins to "burn off" or be destroyed. BUT, in the case that you do not want as many psychoactive effects with the final product because perhaps you are a medical patient who uses oil to treat pain and you want to function more during the day, do something important that you can't be stoned for etc... you would want to heat the oil above the point where thc will burn off, because the CBD's that remain in the product are the pain relievers. You could ruin your oil, or you could make the perfect medicine... it just depends on what you are trying to make.

2. Storing it at room temp is fine, but a cool and generally dark storage is ideal. If its made right its good for a year.

3. Check out my dosage chart. Whatever you end up using, just write it down and do the math if you want to know what your dosage was. https://sites.google.com/site/missgreendreams/dosage-chart

4. I don't recommend using butter! hehe ;) but if you do, you'll need to use about twice as much butter as you want your final product to measure out to. For example, if you want a pound of butter, you need to start with two pounds of butter.

Good Luck~ MissGD

S

SeaMaiden

I don't really "do" edibles, but my mother is a registered dietitian and I just wanted to note that I do not believe that there is any such thing as a lower fat oil that isn't so because it's mixed with something else (i.e. water, as MGD mentions above). In other words, there is no such thing--oil = fat.

That said, there are oils and fats that are better for you than others, and I have a friend who makes edibles and swears that he gains greater effects using coconut oil over other oils. He says that he finds it extracts more and seems to make a better extraction, is less problematic to work with compared to butter.

I find myself wondering if perhaps part of the issue is that American butter (hey... that could be a really cool album name, made by Frank Zappa) has a lower fat content than, say, good European/Dutch butter, and that would be because of a higher milk solid content and/or water held in the butter itself. (I've only had Dutch butter when I visit Puerto Rico, it *is* RICH.) And, if that's the case, then perhaps oil is simply better all the way around.

<shrug> I don't know for sure, but I am sure about the oils being fats thing.

A really nice alternative that you can ganjify ;) is.. Coconut Milk! I have yet to do it myself and am planning on trying it soon for something special. Prob do the same process ratio as the oils, but likely around a quart's worth or less. If I do it I'll post it up!

I would agree that coconut oil is superior to other oils... and for a variety of reasons. So many it could be its own thread! ;)

I would agree tho, that oils are "better" all the way around also, and if you're on the fence between butter and oil, I can tell you that butter is less superior by way of making it (burns easily, water in product, you have to use double to get your end desired weight) storing it - (butter is a dairy product, if I *had* to use butter I would look in to ghee which would be lower fat and keep longer. if you don't get nearly all of the plant material out of the butter, it will decrease the shelf life of the butter), and its applications (which are basically limited to butter recipies like cookies, pastries etc.) and, it scorches easily.

Now... with coconut oil, making it is a breeze and you get a good return
storing it is simple, no refrig required, *much* longer shelf life, plant material content is basically irrelevant
and its uses are endless. You can use it as a butter replacement for any recipe... even pastry!!! cookies, saute, raw, baking... coconut oil has a higher heat tolerance than other oils, so if you are after the cbd's you could heat the oil high enough to burn off the thc and leave the cbd's behind without burning the oil... likely not the same for canola, grapeseed, olive, etc... as they all have lower heat capacities, and their individual health benefits would be lost in addition to likely destroying the meds in the oil.

One more thing :) Coconut oil makes for an excellent topical application. Its a whole new world of pain relief that leaves your head alone. You can add essential oils or infuse with other herbs like comfrey, arnica, calendula etc. for an excellent wonder salve. No I am not a coconut oil stock holder! hehe~ just good stuff.

RandyCalifornia

Well endowed member
Veteran
Great info MGD.
Have you ever made coconut oil with kiff? Dry sifted trichomes? I have a large jar full of contaminated kiff, has a lot of leaf bits and crystolith hairs and stuff. Could I soak it in coconut oil at 110°F or so and then run it through a coffee filter and have medicine? I've got bad knees and hips that hurt, they could sure use the relief.

Yes I have made coconut oil with kiff :) But I was calling it "dry ice hash" because I made it using dry ice and bubble bags. Its essentially kiff if that's how you spell it ;) NO WORRIES about contaminates like leaf bits etc... it will be strained out anyway. The only reason you have to really worry about contaminates like that is when you want to smoke it. find the finest strainer out there which might run you like 7 bucks instead of a coffee filter. Those super fine strainers are usually smaller and hand held. A handy tool when making oil is a large plastic bowl with a handle and a pour spout (mine has measurements on it as well which is super helpful to me). Put a standard sized medium- fine strainer over the bowl with the spout, ladel off the top of your final oil product after you let it settle, and start ladeling into the strainer/bowl, and once you have it about half full (doesn't usually pour well when its full) remove the larger strainer and pour off the strained oil in to your quart glass jar with the very fine smaller strainer over the top of that. Cheesecloth works ok too when working with bud, but you are working with a pretty fine material. You may be able to skip the first strain depending on how fine your keif material is. ~mgd

cravin morehead

Veteran
i've been successful at dropping some dry sift or bubble into a yogurt and letting that sit overnight. i eat it at breakfast and cruise through the morning nicely...

elykdogg

i see alot of speculation about why coconut oil works better as an edible but i havent heard the right answer yet!

coconut oil is composed primarily of medium chain triglycerides (as opposed to almost every other fat source). the glory of using mct oils for edibles has nothing to do with cooking tempurature or shelf life... mct oils dont need to be digested and are absorbed directly through the small instestine into the lymphatic system... so these edibles are absorbed faster with less going to waste

elykdogg~ is this also why coconut oil makes a great topical medicine?

Also, does this information conclude that it would be irrelevant to process mct oil as a "raw" oil under 105 degrees? Why would the factories process it like that if it makes no difference~ just wondering because I take a lot of care when processing to keep it under 105 degrees or so. Is this enzyme preservation/destruction completely irrelevant since it does not require digestion anyway? Your information is really helpful, esp. up here in WA where patients and processors are trying to really dial in the science behind the medicine, as it is available as a medicine in a pharmacy here.

Lastly, what do you feel is the ideal temperature and time for infusing.
Looking for a solid number or range here, lowest effective temperature and highest possible temperature appropriate for coconut oil infusion ;) thanks! ~MGD

Smelly_Cheese

coconut oil is the highest in saturated fat, Maybe thats why it works so well. 12 grams sat fat per serving. Olive oil is 2 grams saturated fat.
so am i right the heavier oils like coconut, olive, corn will work better than light oils like conola, safflower? Or is it the lighter cause they are easier to strain?

I am aware there is no lowfat oil. I meant healthier oil with low saturated fat content. When i said smart balance i should have said there oil blend not there fake butter full of water. Im aware how they just add water as a filler.

also after cooking we usually just eat spoonfuls. We dont usually add it to other food. Other than masking the taste (which i dont mind its not like shrooms lol)any reason not to just spoon the oil directly to body?

thanks everybody. very helpful

The weight of the oil isn't really that big of a difference... but if you're eating it directly, I'd prefer coconut or olive for the taste factor and health benefits. Sounds like you are going with the suggestions of coconut oil being superior, i'd just go with that. If you are on a budget, then olive and coconut are going to be a little pricier, but well worth the extra investment, esp. if you are eating it raw. No reason why you can't do that if its your thing. Good Luck!

S

SeaMaiden

I need to reiterate a point regarding fats and their calorie content--unless you're talking about a product like, say, Smart Balance, they ALL have the same calories. There is no such thing as a lower calorie fat if it hasn't got water or other things included in the mix.

That means that 1T of coconut oil is going to have the same calories as 1T of olive oil, as 1T of lard, as 1T of butter, as 1T of vegetable oil.

I'm getting the impression that this concept isn't clear, which is why I'm reiterating my previous point.
i see alot of speculation about why coconut oil works better as an edible but i havent heard the right answer yet!

coconut oil is composed primarily of medium chain triglycerides (as opposed to almost every other fat source). the glory of using mct oils for edibles has nothing to do with cooking tempurature or shelf life... mct oils dont need to be digested and are absorbed directly through the small instestine into the lymphatic system... so these edibles are absorbed faster with less going to waste
You sound like a dietitian.

Maybe it's time I get my mother onto the edibles train. She's looking to shift her paradigm, which has been focused on feeding those who are 'compromised' (i.e. those in nursing homes, geriatrics, special needs such as cancer or other severe health issues that cause problems with maintaining weight) and need things like fortified or soft foods, or highly specialized diets in accordance with whatever health problem they may be experiencing.

She's also good friends with a dietitian whom she asserts is at the forefront of LEAP nutritional therapy.

Smelly_Cheese

I need to reiterate a point regarding fats and their calorie content--unless you're talking about a product like, say, Smart Balance, they ALL have the same calories. There is no such thing as a lower calorie fat if it hasn't got water or other things included in the mix.

That means that 1T of coconut oil is going to have the same calories as 1T of olive oil, as 1T of lard, as 1T of butter, as 1T of vegetable oil.

I'm getting the impression that this concept isn't clear, which is why I'm reiterating my previous point.

You sound like a dietitian.

Maybe it's time I get my mother onto the edibles train. She's looking to shift her paradigm, which has been focused on feeding those who are 'compromised' (i.e. those in nursing homes, geriatrics, special needs such as cancer or other severe health issues that cause problems with maintaining weight) and need things like fortified or soft foods, or highly specialized diets in accordance with whatever health problem they may be experiencing.

She's also good friends with a dietitian whom she asserts is at the forefront of LEAP nutritional therapy.

saturated fat is different.
olive oil and coconut but have 12 grams fat per serving yet olive has only 2 grams saturated fat. The coconut was like all saturated fat. The saturated fat is the shit that clogs arteries.

S

SeaMaiden

saturated fat is different.
olive oil and coconut but have 12 grams fat per serving yet olive has only 2 grams saturated fat. The coconut was like all saturated fat. The saturated fat is the shit that clogs arteries.
I'm not talking about the types of fats, I'm making specific reference to the thread title and discussion that has to do with calories of fats. There is *no* calorie difference between olive oil, butter, and coconut oil. They are different types of fats, but they are fats nonetheless. That is my point.

I've been brought up with this stuff, had it hammered into my head. I've controlled other health issues using nutritional therapy, for example, calcium oxalate kidney stones using fresh citrus acidulated water. My granddaughter is gluten-intolerant (unDx'd, but responds very well to removing gluten from the diet), and so my best information comes from the professional RDs (registered dietitian) I have access to.

Clogging of arteries is as dependent on the amount and types of carbohydrates you consume as it is on the types of fats you eat, if not more so. That's not to say I would advocate eating bacon to your head, delicious as it may be, but that there are other dietary and habitual factors (exercise is the ONLY way I can get my total cholesterol levels down, and the science bears this out) that factor into your risk for circulatory diseases, as well as propensity for cancers.

So if you eat primarily processed carbohydrates, low-fiber foods, and not enough vegetable material, you've likely greatly increased your risk of some type of circulatory issue (stroke, heart attack, etc) as well as some types of cancer. If you are consuming, say, hash cookies made with a recipe that uses white flour and coconut oil, add some fiber in it if possible or take other measures to balance things out.

I had a feeling that the type of fat may be an issue for some (many?) folks, which is why I've taken the time to relay this here. I think some patients might be discouraged from using coconut oil because it is so highly saturated, and unless you're on statins and absolutely cannot control your blood cholesterol, I'm saying it's possible to strike a balance.

And that there is no calorie difference between any of the fats mentioned.

:)

Smelly_Cheese

I'm not talking about the types of fats, I'm making specific reference to the thread title and discussion that has to do with calories of fats. There is *no* calorie difference between olive oil, butter, and coconut oil. They are different types of fats, but they are fats nonetheless. That is my point.

I've been brought up with this stuff, had it hammered into my head. I've controlled other health issues using nutritional therapy, for example, calcium oxalate kidney stones using fresh citrus acidulated water. My granddaughter is gluten-intolerant (unDx'd, but responds very well to removing gluten from the diet), and so my best information comes from the professional RDs (registered dietitian) I have access to.

Clogging of arteries is as dependent on the amount and types of carbohydrates you consume as it is on the types of fats you eat, if not more so. That's not to say I would advocate eating bacon to your head, delicious as it may be, but that there are other dietary and habitual factors (exercise is the ONLY way I can get my total cholesterol levels down, and the science bears this out) that factor into your risk for circulatory diseases, as well as propensity for cancers.

So if you eat primarily processed carbohydrates, low-fiber foods, and not enough vegetable material, you've likely greatly increased your risk of some type of circulatory issue (stroke, heart attack, etc) as well as some types of cancer. If you are consuming, say, hash cookies made with a recipe that uses white flour and coconut oil, add some fiber in it if possible or take other measures to balance things out.

I had a feeling that the type of fat may be an issue for some (many?) folks, which is why I've taken the time to relay this here. I think some patients might be discouraged from using coconut oil because it is so highly saturated, and unless you're on statins and absolutely cannot control your blood cholesterol, I'm saying it's possible to strike a balance.

And that there is no calorie difference between any of the fats mentioned.

:)
i agree and thanks for all the knowledge.
I think the part i get confused is i did say low calorie or lowfat orig but that was for spouse. Then i thought about my clogging arteries. Living with vegetarians i get to read alot of facts myself.
For instance Pig Fat vs avocado oil fat. Both are fat and both have calories. But the pig fat is loaded with saturated bad for you fat. Avocado oil is a healthier fat that in moderation is good for you. Pig fat is bad for you in any amount full of saturated fat.
but yeah calories are calories.